Hello, I'm thinking about playing guitar again and taking it seriously this time. I visited my local music store and tried a few electric guitars and amplifiers. I'm looking to play anything including rock, punk, hardcore and metal. Before I commit to purchase, I was wondering if you could review my choice and offer some suggestions.

Guitar: Legacy "Immortal" (Copy of Gibson SG) - $595AUD
Amp: Kustom "The DEFENDER" 50W tube amp - $995AUD

Total: $1590AUD

Is this setup worth it?
Okay, I didn't know that sorry, can a mod move it for me, I don't wanna cross-post
By the way why are you spending more on the amp then the guitar?

No offense bro but your setup STINKS switch the price around and use the $900 for the guitar and $500 for an amp then you will have a mini rig of doom.
It's A Long Ways To The Top If You Want To Rock & Roll

Guitars: Cort g260 w/Vintage strat pickups, Standard Sg coming soon.

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.
Traynor YCV CLASSIC 40 WATT ALL TUBE AMP 2x10 COMBO.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
Really?

I didn't know that.

Can you recommend me some models for guitar and amp and whatnot?

Mind you, my only source of instruments is either this local music shop which is way small or the internet. But I could drive to the city and take a look there. Either way, what can you recommend for me?
Depends on what your into and what you want to play.

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
How about a bugera 6260 or 333 and an epiphone SG G400 ?
That would be alot better then what you want at the moment.
The G400 is a great guitar, it could do with a pup change, though the stock ones arn't terrible. Make sure you play it standing up as the neck heavyness might make it really difficult for you.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Quote by xdeathxcorex
WTF!

is court fan talking about.
he just contridicted himself a few times.....
Explain please?

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
Hmm well...

Next time I go to the city I'll see what they have to offer and take note of a few of the models they have there.

But any more advice is welcome, and I too want to know how CortFan1 contradicted himself.
Jcore if you play rock and blues and you want to spend around $900 for a guitar look at the gibson standard sg, epiphone standard sg, cort g260 Ibanez rg series and do you want a warm sounding tone or the basic sounding tone? if you want the warm tone go tube amp. And I think that guy is sore becuase I stole what he was going to say ha.

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
Ah...

Well in my OP, I explained what kind of music I want to play, and that's anything under rock, punk, hardcore or metal. I'm after something bright and snappy in the way of tone that can sound really great high, or very evil low.

At this point in time my price range is unlimited, I'm willing to save for an ideal setup however bang for buck is expected.
Well the bugeras are just copys of more expensive peavey amps so you'll be fine in the gain department. The 333 is a copy of the peavey XXX and the 6260 is a copy of a peavey 5150 which is pretty much the must have metal amp of today. Why buy a legacy when you can buy an SG G400 which some say is better then the gibson faded series.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
So, you say something like a Bugera (never heard of that brand before, what?) or a Peavy, and an SG G400...

Would these be ideal considering the type of music I'd like to play? And, technically speaking, are they models that I would essentially 'grow out of' as a musician once I started to improve?

EDIT:

I'd also like to add that I'm a little skeptical when it comes to brands that copy others. I know there are brands that 'mimic' certain shapes and designs but when it's downright copying I find it hard to deliver faith.

I'd also like a guitar that does not sport the classic Stratocaster design. I think the standard SG design looks mean though, but I'm open to anything else.
Last edited by Jcore44 at Mar 18, 2008,
If you weren't for 'mimic' brands then why would you buy a legacy ? lol
I've heard the bugera amps are very close to the peaveys. You won't find a high gain tube amp for under $1800+ unless its a Bugera even the Randall 50tc won't really go into 'high gain' terriotory. The bugera would do metalcore fine and even death and thrash metal too.
Now an epiphone SG G400 well epiphone are just gibsons lower division (like fender and squire) so it's not really a 'mimic' so to speak. Bugera are a new brand and only a few places in Australia sell them, there's only one place in WA but I think theres a few over east. The amps have had really great reviews so far although its a very new product so the reliability hasn't been proven yet.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
I mean, I don't mind brands that might copy shape or something else, but... The Legacy was pretty much the only guitar this incredibly small shop had to offer that suited my style.

So, an Epiphone SG G400 with an amp from Bugera? What model amp, and can you link me some decent reviews?
these are REALLY hard to find, but amazing if you can get your hands on one.

blueridge les paul.

i paid £80, very few were made. cheap as hell, but play like £500+ guitar (thats about $800-1000).
if you like the sound of those things go with those, think about it... music is all about oppinion and feeling, if it feels right and sound right to you, then it must be the thing for you.. dont listen to everyone here always, though they may be right, get what you want. and i always say the best thing you can do is test it out before buying... think about it music is sound, sound is percieved differently, get a unique tone that YOU like, not what we say.

Emotion = true music

Gear

Vantage 718dt-1
Epi Special II
Crate V Series 212 18w
Fuzz Factory
MXR Phase 90
Quote by CortFan1

No offense bro but your setup STINKS switch the price around and use the $900 for the guitar and $500 for an amp then you will have a mini rig of doom.

You're talking out your ass.

You should always spend more on the amp than the guitar unless you're perfectly happy with the amp tone you've got already. Amp makes up at least 90% of your tone.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Yeah, don't listen to some of these people.

First of all, you want to go to a guitar store and find a guitar you like. Make sure the pickups are fine and it feels good to YOU.

It could be a $300 guitar or a $500. A cheap amp through a $1000 guitar will sound horrible. A fantastic amp with a horrible guitar with sound way better.
Quote by CortFan1

that sounds like pretty bad advice, you want to spend more on an amp than on a guitar. A bad guitar sounds ok through a good amp, a totally awesome guitar will sound absolutely terrible through a bad amp. The amp accounts for the majority of someone's tone too, so it's really more important. Of course it's no excuse to buy a terrible guitar with nasty sounding electronics. I think the TS's original ration was perfect.
look at traynor amps. you wont be dissapointed. I love mine
80's Fender Jazzmaster
1976 Gibson L6s
Epiphone sheraton
Late 60's Univox High Flyer Custom Deluxe
Vintage fendr twin
Fuzz Face
Zakk Wylde Wah
Hmmm okay well thank you so much for the advice guys, I'm definitely going to visit some other stores and try out other models before I commit to buying anything. I'll write down the models I find and let you know so you can tell me what you think. Thanks so far.
Quote by Jcore44
I mean, I don't mind brands that might copy shape or something else, but... The Legacy was pretty much the only guitar this incredibly small shop had to offer that suited my style.

So, an Epiphone SG G400 with an amp from Bugera? What model amp, and can you link me some decent reviews?

Bugera 6262

reaviews: http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Bugera+Amps/6262+Head/10/1
Bugera 333XL

Reviews: http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Bugera/333XL/10/1

I've never tried any of these amps out but from what I've heard they are gain machines!!!
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Sick, thanks, I don't think I'll find any around here but I'll keep my eye open.
What city are you in ?
There seems to be 5 - 6 shops in melbourne that sell them.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Atherton, up near Cairns in Far North Queensland. I'll have a look when I go to Cairns next, but they don't have anything here.
Just had a quick look online and I could't find anywhere stocking bugera in OLD. But yeah just get the phone book and call up a few stores you'll find a few will have at least heard of them and can probably tell you where you could buy one.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Quote by CortFan1

Lol... A better amp will have a much bigger impact on your sound than a better guitar.
Quote by bullets34
Lol... A better amp will have a much bigger impact on your sound than a better guitar.
didn't know that, but I do now.

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
Quote by CortFan1

AMP>GUITAR

never forget that.
+1 to amp>guitar.
All guitars are basically similar except for pickups (unless you get a really cheap one), but amps really affect how your guitar sounds.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
mex tele or strat and vox AD60VT
█ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ Last.fm █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █

"Never interrupt an enemy when he is making a mistake."
~Napoleon Bonaparte
Try looking at ebay for some second hand Schecters and Ibanez.
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes. That way I wouldn't have to have any goddam stupid useless conversations with anybody. J.D. Salinger