so easter holidays are coming up and i have set aside time to work on my lead playing specifically sweeping and the modes anything i should add?
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

to start off with running up and down the box 20 times a day for a week to get used to the fingering then i dunno what should i do for the second week?
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

Quote by aradine
to start off with running up and down the box 20 times a day for a week to get used to the fingering then i dunno what should i do for the second week?

No no no, that's exactly what I'm talking about in terms of approaching this wrong. If you know your major scales, you already know the modes for the major scales.

Learn the theory behind the modes; the chording will determine modality. Learn how to construct simple vamps for the modes to be played over. It's not about learning the fingerings, it's about learning the different harmonic contexts in which different modes are applied.
guh.....wa? please explain in easy to understand words
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Quote by gregs1020

well i'll do it my way and fix it later anything else to add?
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Quote by gregs1020

what their saying about the chords really is a must.

i still dont understansd it fully, but until i heard the chords determining tonality i was a little clearer.
|-----| Gear |-----|

Ibanez RG(cnt remember)
Marshall MG30DFX
Line 6 Guitar Port

YOUTUBE PR0NZZ
Learn the major scale.
Take a look at theory (especially chords and harmony)
Find out what modes are.
Now look at the fretboard, see the notes of the major scale, think of everything you read about modes.

Now, everything should come to you
Quote by aradine
guh.....wa? please explain in easy to understand words

Well, I'll do you a little favor here and update your modal knolwedge a little bit. Seems to me you've approached this like too many guitarists do; figuring that knowing the fingerings is enough. It's not enough, because clearly you're not familiar with the application of modes.

Anyway, there are seven modes of the major scale. Each mode is a different scale that re-orders the notes of the major scale by beginning on a different root note. For example, here are the names of the modes and their notes in relation to the C major scale:

C Ionian: C D E F G A B (1 2 3 4 5 6 7)
D Dorian: D E F G A B C (1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7)
E Phrygian: E F G A B C D (1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7)
F Lydian: F G A B C D E (1 2 3 #4 5 6 7)
G Mixolydian: G A B C D E F (1 2 3 4 5 6 b7)
A Aeolian (natural minor): A B C D E F G (1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7)
B Locrian: B C D E F G A (1 b2 b3 4 b5 b6 b7)

Note that I've put the intervals (compared to the respective major scales) so you can see that these are NOT the same scale repeated over and over. Because they're simply re-orderings of an existing scale, you'll find that if you create complex chord progressions to play these modes over, they'll want to resolve back to the original major key and you won't be playing modally anymore. Because of this, there are suggested chords to play modes over, and here are a few:

Ionian: Major, maj7, maj6
Dorian: Minor, m7, m6
Phrygian: m7b9, susb9
Lydian: maj7#11
Mixolydian: dominant chords, sus chords
Aeolian: m7b13
Locrian: m7b5

Use one or two-chord vamps so that you continue playing modally as opposed to resolving back to the major key. If you're not understanding these chordal applications, brush up on your theory a bit instead of attempting to learn the modes.

Did this help to clear anything up?