Somebody told me that bar chords are power chords. Is this true? Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not that fluent in theory yet but I thought a power chord is just the root and the 5th note of a scale. And in a bar chord the finger that is barring is simply moving up the open strings of a chord to stay consistent. So is this person wrong?
I think this person might be a little confused, I've heard once that a powerchord is a poor mans bar chord that doesn't make a bar chord a power chord though. alot of bar chords have the root and the fifth so it's alot like playing a partial bar chord still though...I don't know I'm hungry and tired...
Powers have the root and fifth (first finger and ring finger). The full chord has root, fifth and third....and of course the octave. When playing hard rock you dont really need the third, but on some songs you need it for certain voicing.
Quote by guitarnoobie
Somebody told me that bar chords are power chords. Is this true? Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not that fluent in theory yet but I thought a power chord is just the root and the 5th note of a scale. And in a bar chord the finger that is barring is simply moving up the open strings of a chord to stay consistent. So is this person wrong?

Yes, this person is wrong. Power chords are not major or minor. Bar chords are, or can be. They are not the same thing. They just have the same bottom three notes.
www.myspace.com/stcircusthemighty

Check it out. If you like what you hear, friend me.

Quote by Rikifield
Nice acoustic man! And your voice is melting with the acoustic sound...
Quote by nodice182
bar chords are power chords, with the 3rd.

similar, but different.

No, you are wrong. There is no "3rd" in a power chord. Its only the....now pay attention

-Root note
-Fifth
-Octave (sometimes)

I play it with the octave.
Quote by dogismycopilot
No, you are wrong. There is no "3rd" in a power chord. Its only the....now pay attention

-Root note
-Fifth
-Octave (sometimes)

I play it with the octave.

What? He is right. He said that barre chords are power chords, but with a 3rd instead of just root and octave.

Barre - 1,3,5

Power- 1,5,8[sometimes]

Rephrasing that: Barre chords are NOT power chords.
Last edited by soulflyV at Mar 18, 2008,
bar chords are power chords, with the 3rd.

similar, but different.

Not entirely true. It is true if you're only referring to major chords but not all barre chords are major.
Pretty much all chords contain a power chord in there somewhere - that's why there's no point in actually "learning" ppowerchords.

All the standard open major chords start with a root, 5th and octave as the lowest 3 notes, so all you do is play the bottom 2 or 3 notes and there's your powerchord. Likewise the corresponding barre chords for those shapes also contain the root, 5th and octave so again all you do is play les notes and you've got your powerchord. There's no point learning powerchords specifically because if you simply learn chords then you learn powerchords by default.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com