**** I'm so rusty....jw, why do most artists always use the most complicated chords there is? I mean I open up a tab book to learn a very well known song and the chords used in it are all brand new to me...like Fmb6 and Absus4 and Bbm7....

Wtf? I'm learning bar chords, power chords, etc...and I've never even heard of these chords, where do these people find all these chords and why do they use them over just simple basic chords...? And also, in a lot of songs where you'd think it'd be such a simple chord progression with like 4-5 chords then you open up that tab book and theres like 17 different chords used in there, like Bb and then Bb6...etc

?
Last edited by S)E-Javelin at Mar 18, 2008,
Quote by S)E-Javelin
**** I'm so rusty....jw, why do most artists always use the most complicated chords there is?

Because they like the sound of them?
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
not that hard if uv got a nice chord bible to look them up in. open chords are boring?
Because otherwise every song in the world would be made up of the same 4-5 chords, maybe?
Quote by S)E-Javelin
**** I'm so rusty....jw, why do most artists always use the most complicated chords there is? I mean I open up a tab book to learn a very well known song and the chords used in it are all brand new to me...like Fmb6 and Absus4 and Bbm7....

Wtf? I'm learning bar chords, power chords, etc...and I've never even heard of these chords, where do these people find all these chords and why do they use them over just simple basic chords...? And also, in a lot of songs where you'd think it'd be such a simple chord progression with like 4-5 chords then you open up that tab book and theres like 17 different chords used in there, like Bb and then Bb6...etc

?

what are you trying to learn? Maybe your trying something thats not realistic for your skill / knowledge level.

Look around a little more, there are LOTS of easy songs with simple, basic chords.
Quote by GuitarMunky
what are you trying to learn? Maybe your trying something thats not realistic for your skill / knowledge level.

Look around a little more, there are LOTS of easy songs with simple, basic chords.

Yeah, you just must be looking in the wrong places. (That's not to say that you shouldn't learn more than barre and power chords, but if that's what you want, they're certainly out there).
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by one vision
Learn theory, and it'll all become clear, all the inversions and how the chords are formed.

If you know theory - how much do you know, how long did it take you to learn?
I kinda get where your coming from. I tried to learn a steely dan song. Had about 30 different chords in it (none of which id even seen before). Just went away and learnt velvet underground songs they're much easier (basically 2 chords) and are probably a bit cooler. I think your problem is you might just not be ready for the complicated stuff yet. i mean im the same, just keep trying to play different stuff and in a few months youll probably be able to play the harder stuff. Good Luck
Firstly, I would like to point out that when reading tabs or chord sheets people sometimes name chords improperly, and therefore make very simple things seem much more complicated.

Often times, in sheet music and fake books there may be many strange chords that one does not recognize - whether it be Fm7(b9) or Bbmaj7#11 there is bound to be some chord you are not familiar with. Music theory can help you understand how chords are created and why things sound good (or why they don't sound good).

Though most people are not drawn towards theory immediately, they eventually (whether it be after a month of play or after a year) recognize theory as a useful tool. I personally have never seen Fm7(b9), nor have I had to play it but I can tell you what notes it is comprised of and give you a couple of different positions in which to play it (some may be terribly uncomfortable or unconventional though).

Essentially, I am encouraging you to learn music theory. Perhaps you aren't interested in learning music theory yet, but it will be beneficial to your understanding of music in general, including chord structures, melodies, harmonies, rhythmic patterns and many other things.