First off let me introduce myself as I'm new here. My name is Matt(as you probably gathered from my screen name ). I've always wanted to learn to play guitar growing up but never actually got around to it. About the time I was serious about it, my dad sold his 1967 D-28! Money was tight at the time and he never bought another guitar. Fast forward ten years, I'm now 22 years old and finally decided I need to learn to play.

Even though I can't play much of anything yet, I seem to come down with a bit of GAS(guitar acquisition syndrome, i think that's what you guys call it). In November I bought a brand new 2006 Martin D-28. There's the first sign I'm nuts. I can't even play guitar yet I spend $2000 on one. About a month ago I decided to buy a Yamaha FG730s as a second guitar. Now I'm thinking I should have went after a used or even new D-15 instead. I don't know what my deal is but I think I just want to acquire these things while I have the financial means. I'm still living with my parents after just finishing a two year degree and contemplating transferring to a four year school. Saving money(for school ) hasn't really been going too well! My dad has been giving the D-28 a workout though. He hardly touched a guitar in ten years but it all seems to be coming back to him.

Anyways I like the dreadnought body style but think I'd like to have something that offers a little bit different sound than the D-28. That's why I was thinking an all mahogany D-15 would be the perfect addition. I know the D-15 has a modified low oval neck while the D-28 has a low profile one. At this point in the game, I'm not really sure what feels best to me so I don't think I'll let that rule my decision.

After searching for threads about the D-15 I found that Martin now uses sapele in place of mahogany. I fired off an email to Martin to find out when this switch occurred, and I got a reply the same day. The Martin rep told me the switch started in 2002, but sapele and mahogany are still used interchangeably as supply allows. I was told it is really hard for the untrained eye/ear to notice the difference and the only way to absolutely guarantee an all mahogany D-15 is to order it custom.

So here I stand, should I go after a D-15(even though I'm in the early learning phases)? Should I avoid the sapele D-15s? Perhaps I should just continue to learn and wait before purchasing anymore guitars. What do you guys think?
Lol, I'd be skeptical of anyone who claims to be able to hear the difference between sapele and mahogany. But anyway, an all mahogany guitar would be more desirable because, as I understand it, the price of mahogany keeps going up and so an all mahogany guitar would be more "valuable." If you already have D-28 and an FG-730s, I'd say ease up on the purchases, especially if you're still going to school. Do you REALLY need to drop a grand or so on another guitar just because it has a midrange boost? Save up money for your education.
If you want an honest answer mate, I think you're mental! I mainly play Electric but have a natural flair for playing acoustic so instead of borrowing one all the time I found a Washburn Acoustic for GBP40.00 in a pawn shop. I bet my life I can make that Washburn sound better than your Martins!! Dont take this the wrong way, I'm not having a go, but buying these guitars arent going to make you sound great or make you a great player. My advice is to keep your money, learn to play and develop you sound and style then splash the cash.

Sorry if this isn't the answer you were looking for, but I've seen this happen to a few friends of mine - the last ended up having his car repossessed as he couldnt afford the payments. Probably something to do with 2 months of trying to learn to play then spending £3000 on guitars, amps and effects!
Quote by libertineste808
If you want an honest answer mate, I think you're mental! I mainly play Electric but have a natural flair for playing acoustic so instead of borrowing one all the time I found a Washburn Acoustic for GBP40.00 in a pawn shop. I bet my life I can make that Washburn sound better than your Martins!! Dont take this the wrong way, I'm not having a go, but buying these guitars arent going to make you sound great or make you a great player. My advice is to keep your money, learn to play and develop you sound and style then splash the cash.

Sorry if this isn't the answer you were looking for, but I've seen this happen to a few friends of mine - the last ended up having his car repossessed as he couldnt afford the payments. Probably something to do with 2 months of trying to learn to play then spending £3000 on guitars, amps and effects!

I'm just looking for opinions so your's is a help. I don't think the guitars will make me sound any better. You helped me realize the only reason I want to acquire a D-15 is because I can, which is the WRONG reason. I think I'll continue to learn and see where that takes me. If I was going to acquire a D-15 it would almost certainly be used and the yamaha would be sold first.
Last edited by matt11_24 at Mar 18, 2008,
Quote by Cheers
Lol, I'd be skeptical of anyone who claims to be able to hear the difference between sapele and mahogany. But anyway, an all mahogany guitar would be more desirable because, as I understand it, the price of mahogany keeps going up and so an all mahogany guitar would be more "valuable." If you already have D-28 and an FG-730s, I'd say ease up on the purchases, especially if you're still going to school. Do you REALLY need to drop a grand or so on another guitar just because it has a midrange boost? Save up money for your education.

Thanks for the advice. Right now I'm really spinning my wheels on what I want to do in life. The college thing is hard because I don't want to waste anymore time and money studying a field I couldn't see myself working in for most of my life. With the time off school I do have plenty of time to dedicate to learning guitar, which is something I wish I had done a long time ago.

I also should elaborate on my reasoning for buying the D-28 first. I said that when my dad sold his 67 D-28 about 10 years ago that he never bought another guitar. That's not really true. He purchased a Washburn acoustic about 5 years ago but sold it almost immediately because it just didn't cut it for him. Deep down the big reason I purchased that D-28 was for him. I wanted to learn but I also wanted him to have something to play. He can't put that guitar down so I know I made the wise decision. I don't think I can take that guitar with me when I eventually move out. I want to have a nice all solid wood guitar that I can take with me though. If I don't have it by then, it'll likely be a while before I'll ever be able to afford it. Especially if I go back to school. That's why I was thinking about selling the Yamaha and looking for a used D-15.
Last edited by matt11_24 at Mar 18, 2008,
Just learn to play on the flipping yamaha first...Its a really great guitar!! I can actually play guitar an was given the choice to upgrade my acoustic to a a taylor 3 times its value.....I prefered the yamaha!! Fg series rule!

You cant even play properly yet and your debating which guitar to drop a grand on ..
You have two great guitars...Play them...Learn to Play them...Enjoy yourself and dont become too materialistic..
Damien Rice === Legend
Quote by guitarguy182
Just learn to play on the flipping yamaha first...Its a really great guitar!! I can actually play guitar an was given the choice to upgrade my acoustic to a a taylor 3 times its value.....I prefered the yamaha!! Fg series rule!

You cant even play properly yet and your debating which guitar to drop a grand on ..
You have two great guitars...Play them...Learn to Play them...Enjoy yourself and dont become too materialistic..

You're absolutely right. The Yamaha FG730s is a fantastic guitar for the price. When my dad went back and forth between the D-28 and the Yamaha we were both surprised. While you can tell the D-28 is the better guitar, the Yamaha holds its own at only a small fraction of the price. It's definitely a great bargain.
Look, if you think youre gonna learn to play and stick with it, then id say get the best guitar you can afford. A higher quality guitar will be easier to play and that will encourage you to learn.

If youre serious about it, buy the best you can buy.
I would stay stuck on Martin though. I think there are a bunch of awesome choices for the price...check out alvarez, and specifically the MD70. Its a cedar/rosewood combination thats different then most guitars, and I like it a lot better then the D15.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
the D-15 is a good guitar, without a doubt... but in that case, i would just buy a seagull instead. the D-16 on the other hand, is a different story. i love the D-16 much more than the D-15.
For the same money you can get a better guitar. Look at the Blueridge BR 140 or BR-160. Both styled after a Martin and getting rave reviews. I bought a BR-240 which is a copy of a pre-war Martin D-18. Same as the BR-140 but with premium woods and ebony fretboard. Blueridges come with a bone nut and saddle. Sound amazing. I also have a D-15 Custom with Rosewood and Spruce. Blueridge is better hands down.
lol jesus do you plan on starting a band? if not... then you reall dont need another guitar b/c of teh SLIGHTEST sound difference. at least not untill you can play. I got a used crappy peavey guitar for 75 dollars that is hard as HELL to play, but I only want to learn to play for me so I can just pick up and jam a little tune when I'm feeling that mood ya know?

if you are learning for a similar reason (or any reason other than playing professionally) then I really doubt you need to blow more cash into a hobby you can't even do yet. just my 2 cents. my point is I think you have more than enough equipment to serve your intended purposes. FTR I am also a college kid and I could go blow 500 dollars and barely hurt my wallet right now, but I really dont need to so I'm not going to. save for school man.

edit... actually I was surfing here b/c I was thinking about getting a new guitar b/c mine really is hard to play haha
Last edited by Wiggly at Mar 18, 2008,
Like I said before I think the D-28 will eventually be gifted to my father. Really I was just looking for a quality, affordable, all solid wood guitar. For whatever reason I'm having some buyer's remorse about the Yamaha even though it is a wonderful guitar. If I were to ever go after a D-15 or another guitar, it would only be after selling the Yamaha. So if I give my dad the D-28, that will only leave me with one guitar guys! Seriously though I'm not interested in ever playing in a band. Maybe one day(seems so far off ) I'll be good enough to at least participate in some jam sessions, but really most of my playing will be done by myself. I'd be in the market for a used guitar; I'm not looking on buying anything new and would prefer to spend no more than $600.(I'm guessing it might be hard to find a used D-15 for $600 or less?)

Yeah, at times learning can be frustrating as hell, but I know I have to work through the frustration. Eventually the outcome will be incredibly rewarding. It's not something I'm going to give up. I won't let myself do that.
If you're thinking of going to college, do NOT buy an all solid wood guitar. Reason being, you'll want to play at parties, bonfires, camping etc. And chances are you'll ding your all solid wood OR dryout the wood. It's almost guarenteed it's going to get damaged.

Which is why I'd stick with the FG730s until you're done school LOL. It can take quite a beating b/c of the laminate wood and thicker finish vs. the D15!

There's another perspective to think about
Honestly I would probably recommend you just hang on to the Yamaha right now. That is a fantastic guitar to learn on and it will likely be a few years before your playing will outgrow it. If you are really sunk on wanting to get an all solid wood guitar, the D-15 is an excellent choice... though I'm not sure you could get one for around $600. Have you tried any of the Epiphone Masterbilt guitars or the Alvarez Masterworks guitars? They are both all solid wood guitar series with a variety of choices in woods and body types... and are both very good values.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=alvarez+masterworks

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=epiphone+masterbilt
Quote by fsb_ben
If you're thinking of going to college, do NOT buy an all solid wood guitar. Reason being, you'll want to play at parties, bonfires, camping etc. And chances are you'll ding your all solid wood OR dryout the wood. It's almost guarenteed it's going to get damaged.

Which is why I'd stick with the FG730s until you're done school LOL. It can take quite a beating b/c of the laminate wood and thicker finish vs. the D15!

There's another perspective to think about

That's some pretty good advice. I'll keep that in mind. The D-15 is a lot more delicate with the satin finish and no binding.

I'm not really sure why I'm stuck on this all solid wood guitar thing. I think I'll just keep my eyes open on the used market and if a good deal(not too good to be true though, ) comes along perhaps I'll take the plunge. Right now I think I'll just wait to see how far I progress throughout the year. If I'm coming along better than expected perhaps the decision will be easier.
Quote by jimtaka
Honestly I would probably recommend you just hang on to the Yamaha right now. That is a fantastic guitar to learn on and it will likely be a few years before your playing will outgrow it. If you are really sunk on wanting to get an all solid wood guitar, the D-15 is an excellent choice... though I'm not sure you could get one for around $600. Have you tried any of the Epiphone Masterbilt guitars or the Alvarez Masterworks guitars? They are both all solid wood guitar series with a variety of choices in woods and body types... and are both very good values.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=alvarez+masterworks

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=epiphone+masterbilt

You know I haven't tried any Epiphone or Alvarez guitars because I don't believe my local guitar shop carries them. I'll certainly keep my options open though.

I'll probably wait until I'm closer to moving out to buy an all solid wood guitar. Until then I still have a D-28! My dad will be stoked when he ends up with that guitar. I'm sure he still wishes he had his old D-28 though. I'm pretty sure his had Brazilian Rosewood for the back and sides.
^--- yeah if it was a 67 then it would've had brazilian rosewood. i believe 69 was the year they switched to indian rosewood.