Poll: Which Of These Is Better For Gaming And 3D Modelling Stuff?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which Of These Is Better For Gaming And 3D Modelling Stuff?
4GB (2x2GB) Kingston 667Mhz DDR2
0 0%
4GB (4x1GB) Kingston 800Mhz DDR2
2 6%
4GB (2x2GB) Corsair 800Mhz DDR2
11 31%
4GB (1x4GB) Corsair 1066Mhz DDR2
22 63%
Voters: 35.
So yeah I'm customizing my own 'puter and I was wondering what was best in general?

EDIT: And if possible, explain why
Last edited by whistler369 at Mar 18, 2008,
Mainly for Modelling/Rendering purposes.

EDIT: I've put up a poll for the ones I'm looking at but I'm lost at which I should buy lol
Make sure your motherboard can handle that much RAM.

Its always best to get a single stick instead of multiple sticks, this is due to "parity" basically the sticks syncing together.
It also depends on what your front side bus is. So, for a FSB of 1Ghz or 1.3Ghz (the 2 most common) you would be wasting your money forking out for 2 sticks of ddr2 1066 as you add the speeds of the sticks together. I'd put my money on the corsair 2GB ddr2 800 just so theres a little overhead.

Hope this helps
Last edited by Mister_magic at Mar 18, 2008,
Quote by sadistic_monkey
Must be a 64 bit OS, but the 1x4 1066 MHz will be best. Better make sure the motherboard can handle that though.

Actually 2 x 2GB is gonna be the best option. This way you get both dual channel and the option of adding more down the road.

EDIT: And even with a 32-bit OS, you get more than just 3GB. It reads between 3.25GB and 3.5GB (exactly how much it is depends on different add-in hardware), which is still a lot more than 2GB. Just an FYI.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Last edited by mafropetee at Mar 18, 2008,
If you have a dual processor then 2 x 2bg is the best option. Quad processors, which i think are the latest thing, then go 4 x 1gb. this is for the obvious reason that you want to be able to have your computer distributing its speed evenly between its tasks.

It shouldn't matter however you do it, except it does help to balance the computer out. also, you will find that the 1x4bg is prob the cheapest option so that may be the way to go.
Quote by mattvl
Listen to this guy, he's australian. If there are any people out there who know how to handle women it's australians.
Quote by sadistic_monkey
Must be a 64 bit OS, but the 1x4 1066 MHz will be best. Better make sure the motherboard can handle that though.

Exactly. That's the one that I'd have in my computer if I could afford it.
It's a 64 bit version of Vista Ultimate, Quad Core (Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700), 640MB nVidia 8800GTS PCI-E Graphics Card

The only thing is, I don't know what the motherboard is yet. They guy who's doing it up for me is gonna get back to me on that.
Last edited by whistler369 at Mar 18, 2008,
Quote by whistler369
Dual Channel? That good? *n00b*

It basically doubles the bandwidth of the RAM sticks. So if your sticks run at, say 333MHz, then in dual channel, they would run at 667MHz. This can't be done with a single stick. Granted, the performance gains are relatively tiny. I didn't see the 1066MHz speed on that 1 x 4GB stick, so I'm actually gonna change my answer to that. That way you can eventually have 4 x 4GB, for a total of 16GB, and have the biggest e-peen on the net (besides those who build rediculous dual-processor servers with things like 128GB of RAM and quad SLi).
Quote by whistler369
It's a 64 bit version of Vista Ultimate, Quad Core (Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700), 640MB nVidia 8800GTS PCI-E Graphics Card

The only thing is, I don't know what the motherboard is yet. They guy who's doing it up for me is gonna get back to me on that. He said he's gonna get one that will fit the 4 RAM Cards

That's fine, but it's got to support 1066MHz for the best of those options to work. If your motherboard doesn't support 1066MHz, it'll just get clocked at the highest possible frequency that it supports. Most modern motherboards do support 1066MHz, though, so it probably will - but you've got to be sure.
I'm a communist. Really.
Quote by Raziel2p
That's fine, but it's got to support 1066MHz for the best of those options to work. If your motherboard doesn't support 1066MHz, it'll just get clocked at the highest possible frequency that it supports. Most modern motherboards do support 1066MHz, though, so it probably will - but you've got to be sure.

Actually even if it only supports 800MHz (like a lot of them do), you can still overclock the memory to 1066MHz on most of them without any problems.
In the title you said: Random Access Memory Memory.

This is as bad as the following: ATM Machine, PIN Number.

Bye.