Hi guys,

I have the Epiphone Les Paul Junior 1957 Reissue(Limited Edition).
At the Bridge, there is a P-100 Humbucker. So i' ve heard that a P-90 is much better. And now i want to know which P-90 i should buy for this guitar? Which Humbucker has the original Junior or Billie Joe's? Is it a Seymour or a Gibson?
When you want to you can give me a link pls

Nicki
well in the original i'm sure itll be a Gibby, in Billies...WHO CARES! lol i don't think it'll make much of a difference from Gibson to SD, i personally would get a Gibson one tho
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
The original is the P-90.

Billie Joe's sig model uses a "H-90", a hum cancelling P-90
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
well in the original i'm sure itll be a Gibby, in Billies...WHO CARES! lol i don't think it'll make much of a difference from Gibson to SD, i personally would get a Gibson one tho

plus 1
Mr. Bad Guy

okay i don't want the Humbucker of Billie, but the P90 is a Humbucker too isn't it?
Quote by LP.Reissue
Which Humbucker has the original Junior or Billie Joe's? Is it a Seymour or a Gibson?

Ugh.
No, the P-90 isn't a humbucker. A P-90 (or P-100, or any other model of P- you can name) is a single coil pickup.

Billie Joe's Junior is equiped with a 'double-stacked humbucking P-90', which is a fancy way of saying, a humbucker which looks like a dog-ear P-90. For all intents and purposes though, it is just an oversized humbucker. On earlier Green Day records, most of the tracks were recorded with a Stratocaster copy using a Seymour Duncan JB model bridge pickup. On the American Idiot album, he used a variety of Les Paul guitars, an SG copy, and his old Strat copy. On tour he uses his signature Junior, though a couple of the models he uses on stage have been altered from the original Gibson signature model (one uses a JB humbucker; one uses a 'real' P-90).

The pickup found on Billie Joe's signature LP Junior, the H-90, is exclusive to the signature Billie Joe Junior. You currently cannot buy it seperately officially, though of course you may be able to find people selling second hand ones taken out of the original guitar, for example. If you want his current tone, that is the nearest you'll get. Put it in a mahogany bodied Junior or other slim LP (or regular SG) type guitar for best results.

If you want his earlier tone, you'll need the Seymour Duncan JB humbucker, in a slim alder bodied guitar with 250k pots. On a thicker or heavier-bodied guitar, you may want to use 500k pots instead.

Incidently, I have an Epi LP Junior that I heavily modded, and I modded another for a friend, who specifically wanted to be able to get both Billie Joe's older tone and his current tone. I put a Gibson BurstBucker #3 in it for her with 1meg pots (as opposed to 500k pots which are standard), and she reports this lets her get near enough to either of his tones. That, however, is a pretty expensive option, since the Gibson BurstBucker range cost upwards of £120 each, and considering the Epi LP Junior is only a £60 guitar to begin with, looking back on it I do think it was a tad wasteful.
On my own modded Junior I use a Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro humbucker, and depending on the amp and pedals I'm using, it can just about obtain a current Green Day tone. It's a bit too thick sounding and low-output for earlier Green Day though.

Or, if you don't care about Green Day anyway (though since you mentioned Billie Joe's guitar specifically, that seems odd), and just want a generically 'better' tone... then get ANY other P-90 pickup. The cheap Epi one can be beaten by any other P-90 type pickup on the market, just go look on the Seymour Duncan website, listen to some samples, buy what you think sounds nicest (bear in mind that the samples on the SD website are recorded with a mahogany Les Paul through custom made amps and Seymour Duncan pedals - obviously, this means they'll sound a bit different to your 'generic tonewood' Epi LP Junior and whatever amp you're using). I would stay away from other brands if I were you, as the P-90s by other brands are really no better than Seymour Duncan's P-90s, and often cost more. SD's are the best, cheapest P-90's on the market.
Quote by bokuho
No, the P-90 isn't a humbucker. A P-90 (or P-100, or any other model of P- you can name) is a single coil pickup.

Billie Joe's Junior is equiped with a 'double-stacked humbucking P-90', which is a fancy way of saying, a humbucker which looks like a dog-ear P-90. For all intents and purposes though, it is just an oversized humbucker.

Stacked singlecoils do not sound like humbuckers. It bucks hum, but it sounds almost exactly like a normal singlecoil.

Quote by bokuho
I would stay away from other brands if I were you, as the P-90s by other brands are really no better than Seymour Duncan's P-90s, and often cost more. SD's are the best, cheapest P-90's on the market.

Seymour Duncans are really not that good at all (Antiquities not included), it's just that they're well-known. Other manufacturers like Fralin, SD, etc are quite a bit better, but of course also more expensive. If you want cheap, go with GFS instead.
Quote by bokuho

Billie Joe's Junior is equiped with a 'double-stacked humbucking P-90', which is a fancy way of saying, a humbucker which looks like a dog-ear P-90. For all intents and purposes though, it is just an oversized humbucker. On earlier Green Day records, most of the tracks were recorded with a Stratocaster copy using a Seymour Duncan JB model bridge pickup. On the American Idiot album, he used a variety of Les Paul guitars, an SG copy, and his old Strat copy. On tour he uses his signature Junior, though a couple of the models he uses on stage have been altered from the original Gibson signature model (one uses a JB humbucker; one uses a 'real' P-90).

The pickup found on Billie Joe's signature LP Junior, the H-90, is exclusive to the signature Billie Joe Junior. You currently cannot buy it seperately officially, though of course you may be able to find people selling second hand ones taken out of the original guitar, for example. If you want his current tone, that is the nearest you'll get. Put it in a mahogany bodied Junior or other slim LP (or regular SG) type guitar for best results.

If you want his earlier tone, you'll need the Seymour Duncan JB humbucker, in a slim alder bodied guitar with 250k pots. On a thicker or heavier-bodied guitar, you may want to use 500k pots instead.

Incidently, I have an Epi LP Junior that I heavily modded, and I modded another for a friend, who specifically wanted to be able to get both Billie Joe's older tone and his current tone. I put a Gibson BurstBucker #3 in it for her with 1meg pots (as opposed to 500k pots which are standard), and she reports this lets her get near enough to either of his tones. That, however, is a pretty expensive option, since the Gibson BurstBucker range cost upwards of £120 each, and considering the Epi LP Junior is only a £60 guitar to begin with, looking back on it I do think it was a tad wasteful.
On my own modded Junior I use a Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro humbucker, and depending on the amp and pedals I'm using, it can just about obtain a current Green Day tone. It's a bit too thick sounding and low-output for earlier Green Day though.

Or, if you don't care about Green Day anyway (though since you mentioned Billie Joe's guitar specifically, that seems odd), and just want a generically 'better' tone... then get ANY other P-90 pickup. The cheap Epi one can be beaten by any other P-90 type pickup on the market, just go look on the Seymour Duncan website, listen to some samples, buy what you think sounds nicest (bear in mind that the samples on the SD website are recorded with a mahogany Les Paul through custom made amps and Seymour Duncan pedals - obviously, this means they'll sound a bit different to your 'generic tonewood' Epi LP Junior and whatever amp you're using). I would stay away from other brands if I were you, as the P-90s by other brands are really no better than Seymour Duncan's P-90s, and often cost more. SD's are the best, cheapest P-90's on the market.

Wow...that was really nice The point is that i have this P-100....this pickup is really good, but i think when i buy a P90 it's more stage accomplished and the tone is much better....but i will look for your advices