Hey guys, couple of questions.

I've been playing in standard E tuning since i started playing, so i'm new to dropped tuning.

lately I've been planning to tune my guitar to drop C / D, so I could start playing bands I like (mostly Killswitch Engage stuff, bullet etc).

Thing is, I heard from people that It's not recommended to to so on 0.9's, and that it would be sloppy.

1. If I plan on playing drop C, should I buy thicker strings? say 0.10? or even 0.11? what's recommended? (btw do any of you guys know which strings do killswitch / bullet play with? )

2. If I plan on playing drop D, should I still buy 0.10? or is regular 0.9 ok for drop D?

And since I know nothing about dropped tuning, it would be great if you have any advice / tips that i should know (tuning / gear / technique etc).

Thanks guys!
Johnny.
Mwhaha, just wait until I find something cool to put here.
Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom.

FTW
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
i believe bullet use 11s, but they swap the low 52 for a 56
read it in total guitar a while ago

i also saw matt tuck in an advert for rotosound strings!

i use 9s for drop D, they should be fine
Top lel.
Quote by mafropetee
Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom.

FTW

what is special about these strings?
are these regular 0.10's?

and I get it's not even an option playing 0.9's with drop C?
Quote by the memory
i believe bullet use 11s, but they swap the low 52 for a 56
read it in total guitar a while ago

i also saw matt tuck in an advert for rotosound strings!

i use 9s for drop D, they should be fine

That's because they use Rotosounds mostly. I've been meaning to give them a try.

Quote by Bloppy Yeah!
what is special about these strings?
are these regular 0.10's?

and I get it's not even an option playing 0.9's with drop C?

They are a custom guauge. 52-42-30-17-13-10. They work great with low tunings while keeping the top strings thin enough for solo work. They are my favorite set so far. And you can theoretically play in drop C with 9's. But the strings will be annoyingly floppy.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Last edited by mafropetee at Mar 18, 2008,
Standard 10-46 is too light for a Gibson-scale guitar to play in DropC or even D-standard... that low E (or D or C) gets a little too floppy, for my taste anyway.
I run E-standard on the 10-46s and run D-standard and drop C on 10-60s... can even go down to B if I wanted to on these mothers. Like being strung with guide cables.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
The guys from Killswitch use 12's.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
The guys from Killswitch use 12's.

are you positive?

Quote by truespin
Standard 10-46 is too light for a Gibson-scale guitar to play in DropC or even D-standard... that low E (or D or C) gets a little too floppy, for my taste anyway.
I run E-standard on the 10-46s and run D-standard and drop C on 10-60s... can even go down to B if I wanted to on these mothers. Like being strung with guide cables.

I guess I'm a newbie in string, but what is 10-46? or 10-60?
I know there are 0.9's, 0.10's, what does the 46 / 60 stands for? higher solo strings?

10-60 is a special for dropped tuning?
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
Quote by Bloppy Yeah!
are you positive?

I guess I'm a newbie in string, but what is 10-46? or 10-60?
I know there are 0.9's, 0.10's, what does the 46 / 60 stands for? higher solo strings?

10-60 is a special for dropped tuning?

10 and 46 are the thinnest string gauge and thickest string gauge.
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
Quote by Thebiz
10 and 46 are the thinnest string gauge and thickest string gauge.

Yes.
Instead of writing out all six string gauges, I just put 10-46 which is .010 through .046, or 10-60 which is .010 through .060. The 10-60s are a custom heavy string for lowered tuning yes, similar to Ernie Ball Skinny-top Heavy-bottoms, but they're made by Dunlop as "Zakk Wylde Icon" series strings. GHS used to make them, but the don't anymore because Zakk signed to Dunlop. I don't care one way or the other if they're "signature strings", I just like the sizing.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Yngwie Malmsteen plays with .8's in Eb. I like doing that with .9's, and I also like playig Drop D with .9s, and I have no problems at all.
Just don't go drop C with 9's, your strings will be floppy as hell. When I do drop Db I have my E string in a higher gauge.
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
I used to use Roto Blues. Them be good strings. I think they're a 12 top and a 52 bottom!
Quote by Mud Martian
Dont be an idiot! The only way staying awake for three days could be anywhere near beneficial is if you are,

A) Writing a hit album.
B) Behind enemy lines.
C) Writing a hit album behind enemy lines!
I use 9s for D standard, but it sounds thin. I need to change it to 10-46, which is better. Mustaine Progressives are good for D standard, but anythin lower than that, you need to get heavier gauges.