Do the JJ High Gain 12ax7's have noticeably higher gain than the standard jj 12ax7's?
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
I just retubed my Peavey XXX Super 40 with the high gain retube kit from Eurotubes (2-6L6GC's and 4-ECC83's). I'm not sure it increased the gain, but it sounds a ton better with the JJ tubes. The gain is a bit more usable, some of the fizziness is gone, and notes are more pronounced and tighter. I'd recommend them. It probably won't turn a lower gain amp into a beast though.
I don't believe they're actually supposed to give you more gain per say, they're just optimized for high gain amps. I could be wrong though, I was once before.
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
Most of the time a tube that is labeled "high gain" has lower noise and more available headroom. It's not necessarily an indicator of how much distortion you will be able to obtain, but odds are good that it will sound better.

Also look at the Tung-Sol ECC803S if you're looking for "high gain" tubes.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
ye i just duno if its worth paying the extra money to get the high gain ones.
I might try them out and see how they go.

cheers guys
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by Kendall
Most of the time a tube that is labeled "high gain" has lower noise and more available headroom. It's not necessarily an indicator of how much distortion you will be able to obtain, but odds are good that it will sound better.

Also look at the Tung-Sol ECC803S if you're looking for "high gain" tubes.

No wonder I've heard they sounded better for cleans too.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by macaroni
ye i just duno if its worth paying the extra money to get the high gain ones.
I might try them out and see how they go.

cheers guys

No offense, but its kinda hard to try out tubes before you buy them
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate
You're not racist, only black people are.

Quote by clincher09
Ah yes, you have a condition that many guys live with and are affected by everyday. It's called a penis.
Quote by SkateEmerica987
No offense, but its kinda hard to try out tubes before you buy them

lol i mean as in buy them and see how they are compared to normal ones.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer