Yeeeeeeaow! I have just ordered a 2007 mint Gibson Les Paul Custom Silverburst!!! I'm from the UK and these things are impossible to find here! Had to order it from USA and the import tax is gonna be $800. Not really an option. I am having it sent to my friend in Nashville who is flying over with it in 3 weeks. Will she have to pay import tax or could she just say its hers and take it over like luggage?

Now all I have to do is wait 3 weeks to play my dream guitar that I saved up for for 3 years!!! ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!!
yes she will have pay import taxes on it if it's found that she left it in the country. And for something like that chances are they will check.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Holy crap, $800???? That's insane
Ibanez AEL20E Acoustic-Electric

Epi LP Custom w/ Active EMG's

Vox Valvetronix AD50VT (this thing is a BEAST! )
What do you mean Kid_Thorazine? The guitar is in america, it is being delivered to her in Nashville. She is then flying over to the uk in 3 weeks and taking the guitar with her in the luggage. Why would they charge import tax if she said it was hers and shes was just taking it over to play over here?

and yeh its f**king rediculous tax isn't it??
what happens is, you check all of that stuff at customs, and if you leave without any expensive items you brought in, they make you pay import tariffs on it before you can leave.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I know loads of people that have got away with it, don't make it seem obvious so don't make her bring receipts and tell her to open it and take all the tags off put a few finger prints on it and stuff like that.

And don’t go through anything to declare, they will think she is bringing it back with her.

My friend took a cheap guitar back with them though so it didn’t look so suspicious.
member #3 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join

Gibson Les Paul Std Trans Amber
Gibson Les Paul Std P90 Gold top
Gibson Les Paul 1968 Custom V.O.S.
1980 Chiquita Travel Guitar
Fender 2006 Anniversary
Ashdown Fallen Angel stack.
Just make them pretend that it's their guitar and has been for a while, you shouldn't have too much hassle.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
As said, just tell your friend to say it belongs to them, and they are over gigging with it, assuming they will be challenged by customs.. I have brought 2 guitars home with me from the USA, and have walked straight through, with nothing to declare.... but thats my gamble, get caught .. you pay...

Your friend should be fine, but remember, the guys in customs have seen it all, from stickers on the case, broken strings, wax crayon or make up to make the guitar look old.. the list goes on, they will know what to look for, and recognise the gibson logo on the case, play it cool, they really do have bigger fish to fry.. but do pull the odd unlucky one.
Thanks to everyone! Yeah i think it should be fine, she can put all the recipts custom shop cert etc in a bag i guess. I hope the way they test is to see if she can play it lol, she's a recording artist heh!
This still doesn't solve the problem of having to wait 3 whole weeks... maybe I could freeze myself...
Quote by J_Producer
Thanks to everyone! Yeah i think it should be fine, she can put all the recipts custom shop cert etc in a bag i guess. I hope the way they test is to see if she can play it lol, she's a recording artist heh!
This still doesn't solve the problem of having to wait 3 whole weeks... maybe I could freeze myself...

We all know what happens when you freeze yourself for three weeks... In the end, you'll be frozen for hundreds of years, only to be sent back to 6 weeks ago... not a good idea.

As for customs, the old 'put stickers on the case trick' sometimes works, but I'll give you this:

If you haven't got the receipts with you they'll probably ask you to provide it anyway...

Unless she's able to get it through the nothing to declare line (by putting it in a dufflebag for instance), you're going to have to pay VAT and import duties.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
wow $800 sucks. thats retarded.

but everyone has given all the advice I would have given. She'll be fine.
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

"The power of the riff compels me"
Bury Me In Smoke
Quote by Bonsaischaap
We all know what happens when you freeze yourself for three weeks... In the end, you'll be frozen for hundreds of years, only to be sent back to 6 weeks ago... not a good idea.

'suck my balls, kyle!'

anyway dont make her do this... its a crime you know. Ever heard of tax evasion? Thats exactly what youre trying to do.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
have her bring home a different, very cheap guitar in its places just to throw them off
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
Quote by RHCPfan01
have her bring home a different, very cheap guitar in its places just to throw them off

... so youre gonna spend money for tax evasion?
whatever.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
Quote by Walternativo
whatever.

as long as the other guitar is less than $800 or £400 it'll be worth it overall.

I bought my bass in the US and then just checked it in normally but then again, it didn't go out on the same fligh as me because of some retard at the airport. So it got delivered to my house the next day, so I didn't have to go through customs with it.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Walternativo
whatever.

That's not the main problem; if she's bringing a cheap guitar, where the hell will the Les Paul be?

Also, calling this tax evasion is legally correct, but it implies something much more serious.

Many people don't declare goods, or are even aware that they should.

Customs officers are usually quite forgiving and if she's walking through the ‘nothing to declare’ line and gets pulled out, she'll be able to pay the regular fee anyway, so why not give it a shot?

As soon as you start lying and pulling out fake receipts things will be a bit more serious, but trying to walk through customs without saying anything won't get you into much trouble and it’s worth trying, as it could save you 19% tax plus import duties.

One tip though, just in case: have the store put the case on the receipt separately even if it’s included in the price.

If you do that, you won’t have to pay customs over the case (which will save you a few bucks).
You've read it, you can't un-read it!