Hello
Once agian a newbie to forums, asking for the advice of the experts.

I have about £500-£600 to spend, on an electric.
I currently play my mates Gibson les paul, and find it heavy and half broken. But it does sound nice through the marshall i have.
I quite like the Telecaster, but there are lots of different types, such as american, highway one, thinline.
i like the idea of a lighter guitar. such as ibanez s i think.
i dont want a tremolo as it is completly unessary for the style ill be playing, which is classic rock, through to jazz, so ill want something versatile.

any and all suggestions welcome
thanks
calum
Well, there are hardtail versions of the S series. Check them out. SA or SZ, I can never remember.
dont get anything from fender thats been made recently
Esp Eclipse EC-1000 (with Seymour Duncans)
Dunlop Crybaby
Keeley Tube Screamer Comming Soon
Fender Twin Reverb Commnig Soon
Well if you like the Les Paul but want something less heavy.
Esp EC-1000
Esp EC-500
Esp Eclipse
Quote by thelegendcalum
i've got a marshall valvestate vs65r

Phew, I was afraid you had an MG.

So yeah, the Ibanez S guitars are nice.

But you can get a standard or an American telecaster if you'd like, those are solid guitars. All of the other models are just money-making schemes.. the standard and American have a similar relationship to that of epiphone and gibson, respectively. The thinline is nice, but the highway one is just a mexico telecaster with the last screw put in in the US and with an overinflated price tag.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by MisterChainsaw
Get a Tele with a Bigsby.

Awesome guitar.

+1

A bigsby adds 10000 awesome points to any guitar.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by MisterChainsaw

Bingo.

I'm having a major GAS attack right now. I suddenly really want to order a bigsby for my Artcore...

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

+1 to the EC-1000
i have it and and it owns. ive done various tone tests with my EC against many les pauls, including high end custom shop ones and that thing just kills them all in tone and feel. if you get it though, get it with seymour duncans and dont get the weird versions with the fingerboard binding. thats the one you want

http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/images/30N/EC1000-VHB_front.jpg

woops i had the wrong pic up
Esp Eclipse EC-1000 (with Seymour Duncans)
Dunlop Crybaby
Keeley Tube Screamer Comming Soon
Fender Twin Reverb Commnig Soon
Last edited by up_the_irons at Mar 18, 2008,
The EC/Eclipse models from ESP/LTD are good for what they are and the Seymour Duncan equipped models do get a lot of the Les Paul tone and Les Paul mojo without the Les Paul weight.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Get a Japanese Fender 1962 reissue Tele, in sunburst with the binding. Great guitars.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by up_the_irons

I played one of the new American Standards a few days ago and it seemd like a very solid, well made, guitar...
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Get a Tele or maybe play around with some hollow body guitars. And if you haven't already, pick up an american strat and see how it sounds.
Smart Real Estate Invenstor
Right, you like the Ibanez S but want a hardtail, and the LP but find it heavy? Check this out:
Ibanez SZR520
Mahogany body available in Les Paul-like colours
Mahogany set neck with 22 frets
Two mega-high-output humbuckers that look they'll trounce anything Gibson have
And it's a hard-tail with string-thru so the sustain and tone is bound to be epic. Check it out:
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_page2008.php?area_id=3&data_id=1280&color=CL01&year=2008&cat_id=1&series_id=62

Hope this helps,
Rob

Ibanez S470
Laney HCM30R
Digitech GNX3000
Check out the ESP ltd EC series, or the Viper series. Great guitars
have just played an ibanez s470 with the tremlo taken off, is that easy to do as the guitar was beautiful
Quote by up_the_irons

I'm going to have to defend my 2008 American Strat. It's good, and if the TS was to get it, he'd be pleasantly surprised I think. Really worth the price tag.
Quote by stradivari310
I'm having a major GAS attack right now. I suddenly really want to order a bigsby for my Artcore...

MEEEE TOOOO

EDIT: I would say a TC-90 thinline, flat black, with a bigsby. Epic win
Quote by thelegendcalum
any one??
is it easy to take the tremolo off??

A ZR tremolo isn't easy to take off, but you could potentially leave the whammy bar off and use the bridge in combo with the ZPS. Tuning stability is excellent on the ZR - haven't tuned mine in two weeks, and that's with heavy whammy use.
However, you'd still have a locking tremolo. which requires somewhat careful set-up when restringing. If you have no intention of using whammy, it's not worth getting a guitar with one in, even if you want to take it off. There isn't an easy way of replacing a locking bridge.

Check out the Ibanez S i posted on the previous page, it might be what you need.

Rob

Edit: otherwise, the S470 is indeed a beautiful guitar, I have one and it is a part of my soul now . Tuning stability is amazing, and the guitar is so slim. I bet you could get used to a ZR tremolo, maybe even use it, because the guitar otherwise is nearly perfect (well, depends what you think of the pickups, but hey )

Ibanez S470
Laney HCM30R
Digitech GNX3000
Last edited by quantum leap at Mar 20, 2008,