Hi there
Ive been playing guitar for exactly 2 years now, and im doing pretty good till now. I played for long time clasical/acosutic guitar, never touched a pick or an electric guitar. I did pretty good, learned all kind of music, blues, classical, modern music, spanish, etc. I have a very decent level, i can play asturias, classical gas, capricho arabe 95% perfect, etc.
Anyways, the last 3 months i was getting very stuck, so i decided to buy a cheap electric guitar with an amp to learn: rock, metal, lead, etc. The first 2-3 month i did very good, and it was very easy to progress, doing exercises, practicing bends. and in less than 3 months i almost nailed down completely master of puppets excluding the fast solo. It was very easy since i had good finger dextery.

So here is where my problem/concern starts. The other week my electric cable broke, so i had to stuck playing my acoustic guitar during this week until i get a new one. i did not touch that guitar for almost 3 months of just playing electric... and what a disaster. I lost so much practice on it, it took me 1.5 weeks of intensive playing to recover. Ok, but now i picked my electric guitar and i lost alot also, it will take me also 1 week to recover.

I was speaking with a friend and my dad, they told me that if i want to progress and deep-in in guitar, i had to choose one type of guitar and stuck on it, playing both simultaniously wont make me advance very much. Im really worried, i love guitar, i love playing all styles from classical music to death metal, but i dont know what to do on my situation, this last month was completely lost. Please if possible, some suggestion tips.

(sorry for long post and avg english)
Thats bull**** im doing grade 7 classical guitar and i play electric a grade 8 standered, just practice both equally
Quote by Jack_hertz92
Thats bull**** im doing grade 7 classical guitar and i play electric a grade 8 standered, just practice both equally

I know, but now since im going to college very soon my practice time will be limited.
if your a serious musicion you will allways find the time to practice, just go for it!
if your a serious musicion you will allways find the time to practice, just go for it!
Quote by Jack_hertz92

I could find the time maybe, but how can i practice alot of styles and diffrent types of guitar efficiently, given that i have the time?
that's a lie look up chris broderick he practiced a ****load of instruments at the same time and he's a beast. my teacher's the same also
make the time, rather than going out every night and waste money, stay in and practice
Seems like a motivation matter i think. Il just need to work harder and find more time.
But still is there a way to practice many instruments and kind of music on a correct way?
no if anything playing an acoustic and electric will help you, just dont play one for months without touching the other.
but thats just my opinion.
Quote by SkyValley
Kids keep having sex younger and younger these days. Eventually kids will be born without their virginity and their first words will be "bow chicka bow wow."