I can't decide which one to get. I still have a lot of money to save up for it but I figure I better start deciding now. I'm after a really big sounding fuzzy/crunchy tone. I'm a big fan of Andrew Stockdale's live and studio tones. Also I really like Hendrix's and David Gilmour's tones. I'm planning on getting a Fulltone 70s fuzz and if I get the AD30 I'll probably get an Xotic AC Booster to hit the drive channel a little harder.
Last edited by thebrewfan at Mar 18, 2008,
orange rockerverb 50-tube? against Vox Ad30.... hydrid-"fake tube"?

if that's the case then no doubt go with the Orange
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Quote by backtothe70s

Orange AD30 tube amp, not Vox AD30 hybrid amp.

As much as I adore the RV50, I think the AD30 might be more up your alley for that kind of music. Throw in the fuzz and boost and you should hit 'em nicely.
Quote by backtothe70s

They're both Orange amps, sorry I should have specified.

^The one problem I noticed with the AD30 is no FX loop and I don't really like the sound of delay before overdrive.
Depends, how much gain do you need, and how loud will you be playing?
I think the Rockerverb is a bit more modern sounding
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I need a good amount of gain, pretty saturated but the heaviest sound I would probably ever want is like Black Sabbath/Wolfmother like tones. I gig pretty regularly but not at huge places. Usually we mic things up if we can.
I think it does, I only tried it once and it sounded reasonably similar to the rocker 30 (albeit more modern), the best advice in the end is try it and see, Everyone knows what a 'British' sound is compared to the 'American' but to some people, one amp is more 'british' than the other, so although I think its british sounding, you may think its not british enough.

Either way its a fan-focking-tastic amp.
Quote by thebrewfan
I need a good amount of gain, pretty saturated but the heaviest sound I would probably ever want is like Black Sabbath/Wolfmother like tones. I gig pretty regularly but not at huge places. Usually we mic things up if we can.

Andrew Stockdale from Wolfmother uses the AD30. I'd say that would be your best bet, especially if you want something like that tone.

I wish I was able to ponder over two Orange amps, especially when I already had a good Peavey and Fender lol!
^Well I'm selling the Fender

Would it sound more like the AD30 if I switched the tubes for EL84s?