So this is the huge mess that was a project for my brother, he got MOSTLY what he wanted, on a cheap budget. I'm 20, hes 13. And he thinks he knows everything in the world. And man, he did not make this easy. I have to admit it came out pretty nice

First off I'll list the problems with what he wanted:

-He wanted that body. Its an Ibanez body, not really a problem in itself but it created problems with other things.

-He wanted an all maple neck with sharkfin inlays and a reversed headstock. Talk about picky.

-He wanted a Floyd Rose, like I said, it was an Ibanez body. All he could afford was a cheap LFR anyway.

Problem #1: The neck. First of all, its not even a righty neck. Its actually a cheap lefty neck with reversed sharkfin inlays. It was the only way to get exactly what he wanted, and I explained him the difficulties. I had already measured out the Ibanez and found it need a 24 fret neck for a 25.5" scale.

So we get the neck and I find that the overhang goes into the pickup pocket. There were marks and screw holes for pickup covers, and this baffled me. How the hell did they have a 24 fret neck with pickup covers on this? I had to belt sand the bottom of the neck. My brother was not happy doing any major modification, because well, like I already said. He knows everything, and these things never need to be done

Thats a pic just displaying the fact its actually a lefty neck.

Problem #2: The tremolo. He bought a cheap LFR and Ibanez bodies are usually routed for their smaller in length tremolos. So I had to sand the pocket bigger. It took him a long time to convince he to eventually let me do it.

Not a very good picture I'll admit. It probably needed 2/10ths of an inch of sanding near the end of the saddles.

Final problem: Its a really cheap neck. It was 30 dollars, its a lefty neck, in no way designed for this body. Amazingly I got this playable. Still and underlying problem that on the high E (note wise) the 22nd fret doesn't work, only on that string. I can't think of much to do and its not that big of a deal. I guess.

Final picture:

I actually really like this monstrosity. It looks really nice. If I had an OFR like my Jackson I'd be shredding on it all the time.

The body is interesting, all I'm sure is it has a flamed maple top. From what you can see stained on the other sides, its not alder. Over all the prices with shipping factored in:

$70: Ibanez body
$120: EMG 81 + 85
$40: 24 fret maple neck
$50: Licensed Floyd Rose with lock nuts
$25: Black tuners
$0 : labor, wiring, odd pieces (done and donated by me)
Quote by decadence5423

Final problem: Its a really cheap neck. It was 30 dollars, its a lefty neck, in no way designed for this body. Amazingly I got this playable. Still and underlying problem that on the high E (note wise) the 22nd fret doesn't work, only on that string. I can't think of much to do and its not that big of a deal. I guess.

A proper setup should do the trick.
Quote by avianoguitarist
A proper setup should do the trick.

I wish it were that simple. I made a typo on what fret, its actually the 21st fret that doesn't work. The 22nd fret is probably higher than it should be, therefore overriding the 21st, but not so high to it overrides any others. If that makes any sense? The 20th, 23rd and 24th frets are fine.
A fret leveling should take care of that. Lay a straightedge on the fretboard. Any frets not touching the straightedge probably won't play right without a leveling.

Looks nice.
Quote by Øttər
Ninja, I dunno who you are but I like you.... so far....
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
My Teddy bear is God. DO NOT QUESTION MY TEDDY!
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

Not part of the Bass Militia
Last edited by DuctTapeNinja at Mar 18, 2008,
Quote by DuctTapeNinja
A fret leveling should take care of that. Lay a straightedge on the fretboard. Any frets not touching the straightedge probably won't play right without a leveling.

Looks nice.

Doesn't that only work when the trussrod isn't tightened? The neck should have a bow to it now.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by Kanthras
Doesn't that only work when the trussrod isn't tightened? The neck should have a bow to it now.
Well, then take it in to a guitar store and ask them if it needs a fret leveling. Make sure to mention the bad fret.
Quote by Øttər
Ninja, I dunno who you are but I like you.... so far....
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
My Teddy bear is God. DO NOT QUESTION MY TEDDY!
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

Not part of the Bass Militia
Well I looked it over, and tested it, if the string was bent up both frets would work. So I just filed that end of the fret down. Now everything works nice.