Page 1 of 3
Sorry to disappoint you but I have not started, actually I don't even know what im going to build. The only thing I know is that its not going to be a strat, it's going to be very original, have inlays, and it will be wild. Right now I'm just thinking and planning. I want it to be completely original, and time consuming. Preferably no carved top because I couldn't do that with a broken arm (I wanna remember I built this with one arm). Anyone have any ideas? In a little I'll post some pictures of the woods, and parts i have to work with.

Here are some rough specs I'm thinking about now.

Poplar
Chambered
Hard Tail bridge
HH pickups
Broken bone inlays(3,5,7,9,15,17,19,21,) Two broken bones (12,24)
maple neck (whatever type of fretboard would look good, I have many already cut.)
original shape
explorer,les paul or a firebird, thats all i can suggest up to now or build a bass ?
jazz bass ? that would be awsome.

how did you brake your arm ?
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Firebird thats a good idea. I'm gonna try to get a template. originally i was thinking a unique shape but firebirds are cool. I'll give it an f hole.

I broke it playing hockey.
^ are you doing a nice flame or quilt top on this thing then ?
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
that sucks about your arm, hope you get better and can still play guitar properly without having to do physio for years. But at least it was playing hockey. I broke my left hand playing hockey a couple years ago (my frettin' hand) I can still feel it sometimes, but luckily It doesnt really affect the guitar anymore.

Firebird is ok...I say make up your own shape. Or do your own firebird inspired shape
If you do a Firebird, I always thought it would look good if you did a reversed body (the normal one) Like this:

But with the headstock the other way around (non-reversed) so it would end up like this:

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
I worked on this yesterday, I basically made the firebird shape so i had something to work off of. and when i was doing that i remembered my zebrawood neck, I'm not 100% sure i wanna use it though.

The body (as of now) is going to be a semi hollow firebird with an f hole. I might use zebrawood binding if I use the zebrawood neck.

I'm not that good at guitar, I think I should be okay.
Last edited by carousel182 at Mar 19, 2008,
Which way is the body?
Also, I like the idea of a fender headstock on a Firebird and the F-hole.
Can't wait to see it!
Quote by handbanana
The body is probably going to be the normal way for a left handed firebird. Right now I'm still throwing ideas around, nothing is guaranteed.
i can't believe you actualy went with my suggestion lol
keep us updated.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Okay update, I'm not sure about inlays now but I'm going to work on remodeling the headstock, I'm thinking V inlays.

pics to come
that zebrawood neck is pretty sexy. i would love that with an ebony fretboard
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
I'm out of zebrawood I used it for a lot of things. Anyway i have the headstock shape drawn out and here it is

looking nice, man you work FAST on these guitars! you didnt even know what you were building yesterday and you've started today.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
haha actually, I already cut the headstock, now I just need inlays. I want to do v inlays, i saw them on a schecter i think but now i cant find them
here it is. its kind of shaped, and its inlayed, the inlay still isn't leveled or sanded.

its white mop
poplars not bad to finish at all, its actually easy. I'm not 100% sure I'm doing poplar actually, i have a pretty decent sized wood supply, poplars just the perfect wood for this because its gonna be painted anyway.

Yes, it says JS in kind of a different way than i usually do it, I want to make this guitar different.
that's very odd...JS has had significance for me this evening...interesting
Hey just an update on this, non of my blanks were big enough to do a firebird, so now i have to make a new blank, it should be ready for tomorrow, or at most this week end. I couldn't do any work on this for the past couple of weeks.
^ I've actually just started selling, I'll probably do some more to sell in a few weeks.
Yes i do have a few body blanks lying around and a ton of un-cut wood.
okay, so I've done a bit of work on this, I got a template made with the semi hollow routes, and I've picked out my woods. Im going with a curly cherry top, and a poplar back (dyed or painted. their will be an f-hole, i've got one drawn out that looks nice. pics will come when the cameras charged.
sweet waitin' for pics. I'm planning a hollow body made of acrylic. Should be interestin
theres te cherry, the sapwood visible on the bookmatch is going to make or break this piece of wood, but I wont mind it so much if its not there.

swiss cheese.

the reason for the multiple cavities is so that the top will be glued on more securely than if i were to just take out all of the woods from the sides. also, after i took this picture i added another cavity, i forgot to cut it out.

I'm going to need help bookmatching this unfortunately because bandsaw+1 bendable arm=disaster.
I glued the wood up today. Tomorrow I plan on routing the semi hollow routes and cutting out the body shape. pics tomorrow.
I gotta ask, wiliscool, why didn't you jsut use the last picture to illustrate, since they both have the reverse body style...?
^Just to show the difference.
Quote by handbanana
Like "I think you should make it green. To illustrate what green isn't here's a picture of a white guitar."?

Quote by Pikka Bird
Like "I think you should make it green. To illustrate what green isn't here's a picture of a white guitar."?

The layout looks pretty sweet by the way, carousel.
What's the p'up situation lookin' like?

Oh, and seeing as its a 'Firebird' and all...

Can you say "12th fret inlay?"
or on the pickguard in place of the normal one.
Quote by handbanana
Last edited by wiliscool at Apr 4, 2008,
Wow... That is quite a build, love the f hole.. upload sound clips when your done
Gear?!

Fender Champion 600

Weeping Demon Wah
Metal Muff
Blues Driver

Member 6 of the CARVIN CLUB!!

Ibanez S320 Budget:
0/500usd
I don't like the F hole. The middle is kind of fat, and the ends are kind of small. I think it could work if you make the round parts at the end bigger.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Page 1 of 3