Before i begin, id like to say that this is not meant to bash metallica, its meant to give me some insight as to why they are considered to be so great...i just have one question:

What makes metallica so special?

If you had asked me that same question a few years earlier, i would have said something along the lines of their "incredible talent" "songwriting skills" or their "innovation"

But over the past few years, I have really opened my ears to all sorts of new music (something i HIGHLY recommend to everyone), this gave me a new perspective on things, and begs me to ask, what makes metallica so special?

they were not the first thrash band, there are PLENTY of much more talented musicians (both in and out of the realm of metal and thrash) and there are many other bands with many other songs that are arguably better (in the end it is all just a matter of opinion though)

Also, coming back and listening to metallica for the first time in at least six months, it just didnt strike me the same way other bands do when i listen to them for the first time in a long time; such as iron maiden, megadeth, the mars volta, (old school)red hot chili peppers or nine inch nails.

listening to other things made me realize that their sound is just bland, there is nothing interesting or exciting in the music, and it just makes me wonder how so many people love them, when they, really, are not anything too special.

The same applies, to a slightly lesser extent, to acdc

So, long story short, why they are so special?
What makes them so special is.............

They made Thrash accessible to a wider audience.

I don't think we can say the same for Testament, Exodus, Slayer, and Anthrax.
Well, the 1st half of your post was commonly accepted fact and the 2nd half was your own opinion.

Personally I like early metallica. Why? Because it's well written, well played, and generally pleasant to my ears.
**** knows.

But they're special enough to already have a thread in here
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...