i put this in MT because i want the help of musicians, not the jackasses in the Pit. anyways,

i was hoping to study music - specifically guitar - in either New York or LA, but american colleges are RIDICULOUSLY expensive. my question is:
does anyone know some of the cheaper schools/colleges offering BA or Certificate courses in music in either of these cities? or any other courses that spring to mind.

the cheapest i found searching on google is about 13000 a year.
Quote by Alucard II
i put this in MT because i want the help of musicians, not the jackasses in the Pit. anyways,

i was hoping to study music - specifically guitar - in either New York or LA, but american colleges are RIDICULOUSLY expensive. my question is:
does anyone know some of the cheaper schools/colleges offering BA or Certificate courses in music in either of these cities? or any other courses that spring to mind.

the cheapest i found searching on google is about 13000 a year.

well school is expensive. If you want to go to a school that is worthwhile, its going to cost you period.

Personally I would recommend a university over any kind of gimmicky institute like GIT. Study music, but get a balanced education.
Do you live in the USA? If you do, just go to one of your state schools and major in music. For instance, I live in Pennsylvania. If you were me, you would go to Pitt, Penn State, or Temple and just declare music as your major. There may be other state schools in PA, but those three are the biggest.

Also, most schools, private or public, offer financial aid. Look into that.

Edit: SUNY (State University of New York) Stonybrook is on Long Island, about an hour outside of NYC. There are various other SUNY schools in the New York metro area. UCLA is a Cali State School in LA. Both of the schools I named are very competative, but will be cheaper than private schools (UCLA doesn't charge tuition for CA residents) and will offer financial aid.

Edit: I don't know if this would work, but if your plan was to move to LA, you could get an apartment in the city, become a CA resident, and possibly get free tuition and easier admission at UCLA.
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Mar 18, 2008,