Hello folks,

I have a Gibson Les Paul Custom 1959 Standard VOS. I have come to the point of the 'first re-string' and thought I would take the opportunity to 'do it right'.

I recently heard about Jimmy Page's stringing method which I'm told improves sustain and allows for easier bending and cleaner artificial harmonics...perhaps something to do with string seating angle?

Anyway, I've searched the web for information on this with no luck so if anyone knows the Jimmy Page stringing procedure or could point me in the direction of a decent tutorial guide I would be very grateful.

Cheers,
Adam
My Gear:

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul R9 (VOS)
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe
Ibanez Jem 7V
Ibanez RG 550
Fender Strat (USA)
Fender Strat Deluxe Plus (USA)
Parker Fly Deluxe

AMPS:
JMC 2000 through 4x12" Cab.
Marshall AVT275
MesaBoogie F50
wow...your soo rich..or lucky...anyways...just put the strings in the "wrong" way and wrap them around the stop bar
I topwrap my les pauls also. As for cleaner harmonics, and sustain, i dont hear a noticeable difference(while the mechanics should increase sustain). I do notice a difference in feel, the bending is easier and the strings feel looser.

Oh, and don't forget to crank your tailpiece all the way down to the body..thats the whole point of top wrapping, to increase bridge vibrations transfered to the body (hence sustain). The whole act of the top wrapping is to accomodate the strings so that they wont break and be stiff while the bridge.
Thanks a lot chaps.

So top wrapping is the accepted terminology - thanks SurfGreene.

I found this picture on the web:

This would be an example of top wrapping yes?

I look forward to trying this out.
Thanks again.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul R9 (VOS)
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe
Ibanez Jem 7V
Ibanez RG 550
Fender Strat (USA)
Parker Fly Deluxe

AMPS:
Marshall AVT275
MesaBoogie F50
Last edited by mrjarvie at Mar 18, 2008,
I'm probably going to topwrap my SG when I restring soon too. The idea of easier bends really sounds good for me, being 13 with small fingers.
I'm totally doing this next time I restring my Les Paul
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Do you reckon top wrapping will knock out my intonation?
My Gear:

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul R9 (VOS)
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe
Ibanez Jem 7V
Ibanez RG 550
Fender Strat (USA)
Parker Fly Deluxe

AMPS:
Marshall AVT275
MesaBoogie F50
Quote by mrjarvie
Do you reckon top wrapping will knock out my intonation?

As long as you don't adjust the height of the bridge, just lower the stop piece you initially put the strings through. (see pic above).