So. Here's the thing. I'm selling my Epiphone Les Paul and my Line 6 Spider to my friend for $325, I'll still have a Peavey TransTube Rage 158 amp to use. But here's the thing. I can choose between getting either a used JCM900 1x12 50 watt amp for $475, or a used Gibson Explorer with EMG 81/85 for $560. My dad said he'd pay for the difference in either one, as long as I used my $325 towards it. Also, he said if I get the JCM, he'd buy me at least a cheap Ibanez to use till I save up for a different guitar. I play mostly hard rock and metal, and I've heard good things about both items, so I have come to you for help. Thanks all.
Last edited by dragxthexwaters at Mar 18, 2008,
Amp FTW. A shit guitar can sound decent through a good amp.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
That amp is amazing. Get it. That is all I have to say.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
JCM900 + Hello Kitty Squier
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
JCM900 + Hello Kitty Squier

THIS, with an EMG 81 (white) in the bridge.

That's about as metal as you can get.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by dragxthexwaters
Alright, so I'm going to go ahead and assume the JCM and
the cheap Ibanez is by far the better move?

I would agree, so would most here I believe. That is a good amp, great amp at that price...
Quote by dragxthexwaters
Alright, so I'm going to go ahead and assume the JCM and the cheap Ibanez is by far the better move?

Well, not really by far. The Gibson's a good deal too. But I'd definitely go for the JCM + Ibanez.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
go for the amp...the price is really good and it's good quality. the guitar isn't a bad deal but i'd still prefer the amp first.
JCM900 +ibanez RG321= more than decent rig.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.