so i'm new to home recording and i'm not sure what i need and how i should hook my equipment up.

right now, i'm trying to get good quality sound into my computer so i can overdub it onto a video because my camera's microphone sucks.

so is this the right setup?

guitar -> amp -> toneport gx -> mic -> computer?

i'm really confused and dont know the order, so if anyone could clarify, it would be much appreciated. thanks
The toneport is a USB amp sim and mixer isn't it?

If that's the case you could just go...

guitar -> toneport -> PC
i'm still kinda sketchy on the functions of the toneport and the microphone. i thought they could be used interchangably, and that you only needed one or the other, but not both simultaneously. is that right? but should i be using both?

and to the 2nd poster -

if i just go to guitar -> toneport -> computer, do i need the mic anywhere in there? what should the mic be used for then? do i not need it?

sorry for the lots of questions im still extremely hazy
Yeah, if you go by what I said, the mic isn't really essential, until you want to record vocals or an acoustic instrument. The guitar should plug straight into the tToneports iinput like an amp, and then AFAIK the Toneport can plug straight into the computer via USB, though I don't have one so I'm not sure. Hope this clears it up some, and someone can give a definite answer on whether tha Toneport can do that.

sounds good, but is there any setup that would makes it essential to use both the microphone and toneport and give better quality than just the toneport alone?

because as far as i know, if i use JUST the toneport, then i don't need to use an amp and all the effects will come from the software.

but i want to use the sound from my AMP, not from toneport stompboxes, if that makes any sense. so that's why i thought a mic was essential.

can anyone clarify? =)
Hmm...you can record basic audio signals with the GX, so you can capture your amp's sound. You use Line 6's sims if you plug your guitar directly in the toneport.

guitar -> amp -> mic (XLR-TRS aka 1/4") -> toneport gx -> computer
so using the setup above (guitar->amp->mic->toneport->computer), the audio captured will be high quality sound from the AMP, and not captured from the toneport?
What do you mean from the toneport?

The Toneport only allows you to actively put sound into your computer, it doesn't like make sound on its own or anything....
He means the amp models that come with it. There is a way you can bypass the amp models and just go guitar>amp>toneport>computer, but someone else will have to tell you how, as I have never used one. As for your way of connecting it, with the mic after the toneport but before the computer, that doesn't even make sense.
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by fridge_raider
He means the amp models that come with it. There is a way you can bypass the amp models and just go guitar>amp>toneport>computer, but someone else will have to tell you how, as I have never used one. As for your way of connecting it, with the mic after the toneport but before the computer, that doesn't even make sense.

yeah thats actually exactly what i want, to be able to do GUITAR -> AMP -> TONEPORT -> COMPUTER, but i didnt know if that was possible, and if the sound that would go into the computer would be high quality sound from the amp.

but if i do use that method, will that accomplish what i'm trying to do?
You need to use this method.

Plug your guitar into your amp. Plug a microphone into 1 of the inputs on your Toneport.

Place the mic in front of your amps speaker/s.

Open your DAW or recording software.

Set the input that the mic is occupying as your recording input.

Press record.

Play.

??????

Profit.
and that will record as high quality (better than what my camera's microphone would do anyways)?

thanks alot bro =D
Quote by XyphR
yeah thats actually exactly what i want, to be able to do GUITAR -> AMP -> TONEPORT -> COMPUTER, but i didnt know if that was possible, and if the sound that would go into the computer would be high quality sound from the amp.

but if i do use that method, will that accomplish what i'm trying to do?

Yes. Rock on.