I have been playing around 10 months now. All self taught except for my first lesson I had last saturday. As my guitar teacher is basically going off excercises to build finger independence and theory I have come to UG for some answers.

When I am playing on a clean channel i am actually quite a clean player, not very many mistakes or things sounding when they shouldn't be. However, when I crank the distortion this all changes. I tend to get alot of unwanted noise and as I am quite the perfectionist it has begun to really annoy me. I asked briefy in my first lesson about muting technique and my teacher gave me a very vague answer of just "You just sort of develop it". What I would like to know is how long this takes? Basically because its annoying the **** out of me at the minute.

Also, if I were to ask my teacher about it and demonstrate what the problem is at my next lesson, what do you think the chances are of hime helping me out with it, baring in mind we are going over basic things.

Thanks UG
Quote by Chinfrim
Sadly we have not shotguns and go around saying "Get Out of Mah Propertay!!"
Ask your teacher to give you a good reason why you shouldn't find another one.

Seriously, if he/she can't teach you muting technique then find a new teacher because when it gets to more technical things he/she will probably be no good.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I did not say he could not teach me it, i just said he answered vaguely.
Quote by Chinfrim
Quote by scottp_15
I did not say he could not teach me it, i just said he answered vaguely.

Same applies: either get a good answer or get a new teacher; anyone who can't or won't answer a question from a pupil is a waste of time and money.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Cool, I will ask next lesson
Cheers
Quote by Chinfrim