hey, im wondering, what is the importance of tone knobs on your guitar, i mean i never change the knobs from 10, and neither does any other guitar player i know

the reason im wondering is weither i should put my sights into getting this or not

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-KE3-Kelly-Electric-Guitar?sku=511669
Quote by RedDeath9
Divinecrossfire...

Epic post. Wish I could say more, but I don't know much about the subconscious and other psychological stuff.
have you tried changing them about or do you only like the tone at that particular value?

It's up to you. You can still change your tone quite a bit with just the volume. And other people may not change the tone knobs but they might not have them at 10 so they're needed. Also, having no pot there makes it as though the pot was on 11 (I think) because the signal has to pass through them when they're there. But I'm no expert.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Tone knobs make a huge difference for me.

It depends on your set up, really. Sometimes, the tone knobs are like a dude's nipples: they don't do anything, but it would look odd without them.
If you ask me, I don't fiddle with them too much, but it is nice to have the freedom if I want to tune my sound a little more exactly or whatnot. Rolling it down a little for solo's can give a lovely smooth sound, which is primarily what I use it for. That and for clean stuff if I feel it suits the song more.
Quote by sashki

It depends on your set up, really. Sometimes, the tone knobs are like a dude's nipples: they don't do anything, but it would look odd without them.
lol
Quote by sashki

LOL siged!
No man is your friend, no man is your enemy, but every man is your teacher.

When he asked for John Myung, John Myung said:"Who the hell is John Myung?"

Proud User of Ibanez, Korg, Rocktron, ENGL
I have my tone knobs a little before full (in between say 8 or 9, but mine aren't number). I like it because the sound isn't as harsh, but sometimes I find myself putting them up full in a band situaton.

Definitely needed.
Your tone knobs work like resistors. As you turn it is changes the contact point inside the pot. At a lower setting more high frequencies get filtered out of your tone. Leaving your tone knobs on 10 allow for nearly all high frequencies to reach your output.

One thing people don't realize is that the tone controls don't work for the bridge pickup if you playing a single coil set up like a stratocaster, the tone knobs only adjust the tone for the middle and neck pick-up. One fun thing to do if you have independent tone controls, like a stratocaster, is crank the middle pick up's tone to 10 and turn the neck pick-up down low (or vice versa). While you let a note ring out switch between the two and it gives it a cool effect, almost like a wah pedal.
I think it probably depends largely on what you play. Paul Gilbert, for example, the master of shred, does not have a tone knob on his signature guitar, and he gets by just fine. Still, guys like Eric Clapton or BB King probably use theirs very often.
I play with my knob a bit... Oh, you mean the tone knob? Nah, rarely touch it.
I use mine quite a bit, and I usually keep both of mine at around 5 or 6 so I would have to put resistors in my guitars wiring to replace them if didn't have them there.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I always have my pickup selector set to both pickups, with the bridge volume at 9 and the neck volume at 5. The tone knobs are always at 6-7. Makes a huge difference.
I use my tone knob twice every time I play... once to fiddle with it, and then again to put it back to full because changing it just makes my guitar sound like hollow toneless crap.
Quote by Lojik
I play with my knob a bit... Oh, you mean the tone knob? Nah, rarely touch it.

loool
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
i use mine quite a bit to get just the right feel from song to song, but its all about personal preference
Quote by andy_thomas
Were you by any chance, exposing your scrotum to an open flame?
my tone knobs are usually either at 10 or 0. i might as well just have a tone switch...
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Habit Zero
I think it probably depends largely on what you play. Paul Gilbert, for example, the master of shred, does not have a tone knob on his signature guitar, and he gets by just fine. Still, guys like Eric Clapton or BB King probably use theirs very often.

watch buckethead play, he adjusts in the middle of a song to get the right tone. On my guitar, the tone knob doesn't do much with anything over a medium distortion, but on the clean channel its very useful to smooth out the mid to high end.
Quote by Blompcube
my tone knobs are usually either at 10 or 0. i might as well just have a tone switch...

im the same way
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Quote by divinecrossfire
hey, im wondering, what is the importance of tone knobs on your guitar, i mean i never change the knobs from 10, and neither does any other guitar player i know

the reason im wondering is weither i should put my sights into getting this or not

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-KE3-Kelly-Electric-Guitar?sku=511669

well i think it depends on what you play, the kind of tone you like, and the guitar. for example, i usually have the tone on 10 or around 10 on my godin. it has a pretty warm tone already so i dont find the need to add more warmth. sometimes i do though depending on the song. or sometimes ill go down to around 0. but for the most part, im around full. but on my strat, i have it usually around 5. i find it can be too bright on 10. and that way i can get it closer to the tone of my godin.

it can be useful for if you have to do a gig but dont have time to do a sound check. you may find you think you sound to bright or too warm. with the tone knob you can adjust that on the spot. or maybe you want one part of the song to sound warm and mello but later on you want to have it scream. well the tone knob can help with that.

but if you are find with 10 all the time, then thats up to you. but as the saying goes, "its better to have something and not need it that to need something and not have it".
I removed mine, since it got in the way of my pick attack. Plus its not like it would not have it at 10 anyways.
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
my guitar doesnt have a tone knob or a selector switch. just 1 knob that i can press to switch between the bridge and neck pickups, but when i do use a guitar with a tone knob i play with it a lot.
Gear
Caparison Horus HGS
B.C. Rich Beast NJ Series
Alhambra 7FS
BOSS GT-8
Peavey Valve King 212
Whenever I think of not having a tone knob, I think of the MF sig Kelly. Of course, a lot of tone variation can come from how Friedman plays, which is undoubtedly at a higher skill level than the average player. Personally, I do use the tone knob(s) on all my guitars, so I see little reason (tone wise) to remove them. Sometimes volume knobs and such get in the way of how some people pick and they like to get rid of tone to move the knob out of the way.