350 87%
No
53 13%
Voters: 403.
Page 1 of 5
The Con
Something or other
182 IQ
This is a question for males who belong to all-male bands.

If you needed a new bandmember, and a female auditioned for your band, and she was excellent, would you consider her for the position?

Why or why not? Would you only accept her if she was auditioning for a certain position?
Color
is
subjective.
rageagainst64
UG Soul Chef
137 IQ
not for vocals, but if she could kick the **** outta drums, bass, guitar or keys, sure.
Quote by monkeysintheday
I have trained a live tarantula to calm and sit on my guitar due to the awesome powers of my rocking. When I am not playing it angrily bounces about my room hitting everything that isn't me.

Quote by stef123

rageagainst64 you are a legend!
dylanfromearth
461 IQ
i am not in an all male band but i breaks rules, and i used to be in a band with a girl drummer and it reallly doesn't matter if you are a girl, if you are good. ( quite possibly could add uniqueness)
impeachpedro10
493 IQ
yah. almost just cause shes a girl. unless it was grindcore and she was planning on doing vocals......

it would separate you from almost every other band out there.
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
Vampire 255
UG's DVD/BD Collector
931 IQ
well if she is good take her

just dont have 2 girls in ur band u never get anything done trust me my bands has that problem
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Mettliccaa
UG's Genius
51 IQ
Well if they were good maybe. But if it's possible a relationship can develop I'd say not because it could tear apart the whole band.
Do you use a BR-600?
If so, click here to join the group thats made for you!
crazymanbigman
one crazy man :)
462 IQ
YES !! Damn right

There should be more ladies Making music
dude ?? have you ever had a casual coversation while having sex??

male:
" so erm .. wot do you think of bbc1 ?"
female:
" AAHHHH SH*T !!!! SH*T !!!!! "

Quote by AAAAAAAAAARGH
Sex is over-rated. I prefer Pokemon Diamond.

HAHAHA ^^^ :P

Sonicxlover
The blood of this city
1,360 IQ
Quote by impeachpedro10
yah. almost just cause shes a girl. unless it was grindcore and she was planning on doing vocals......

Look at Arch Enemy.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
rock_and_blues
Banned
892 IQ
I say no, and here's why. While I admit that if the girl was good enough she would be an excellent addition, however whenever you deal with the opposite sex there is always going to be some kind of attraction between the girl and one or more male members of the band. This would completely rip a band in two. So in the long run the cons outweigh the pros in my opinon
Archeo Avis
UG Nerd
578 IQ
If you needed a new bandmember, and a female auditioned for your band, and she was excellent, would you consider her for the position?

Why wouldn't I?
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
The Con
Something or other
182 IQ
Quote by Archeo Avis
Why wouldn't I?

Maybe you'd feel how rock_and_blues feels about a female being in a predominantly male band. That's why I'm asking.
Color
is
subjective.
bobeatsbob
309 IQ
Probably not as i rarely like female vocals for some reason. If she sounded perfect and not like a stereotypical female voice then i guess yes as long as she was cool n' could get along with rest of us. Some girls look weird playing guitar or bass though so she'd have to have suit the instrument she was playing but i'd think the same with any possible male member (very vein i know but just my opinion). She'd also have to have similar music taste to the rest of us.

I think everything i just said could apply to any one wanting to join my band though. Saying that in my area at the moment and the lack of talent in my band i guess i'd probably take just about anyone regardless of gender or their appearence...
Archeo Avis
UG Nerd
578 IQ
I say no, and here's why. While I admit that if the girl was good enough she would be an excellent addition, however whenever you deal with the opposite sex there is always going to be some kind of attraction between the girl and one or more male members of the band. This would completely rip a band in two. So in the long run the cons outweigh the pros in my opinon

A band is a business (yes, it is), and as long as you have set standards for the behavior of the members, there should be no problems. If what you say is true, businesses across the country would be falling apart due to sexual tension.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.
264 IQ
I'm in an all male band, but I've worked with women in bands too in the past without any problems.
The only problem I've ever really seen with having both men and women in bands is that occasionaly, personal relationships can start between band members, and then when they split up, it really f*cks the band up.
But if people can stay away from personal relationships within the band, (and this goes for both gays and lesbians too) that's not really a problem.
z4twenny
UG's resident Psychopath
936 IQ
if she can play good or sing well (regardless of the style of music, personally to me a chick that can scream good is the s3x) then hell yeah. why limit yourself ?
af_the_fragile
Banned
1,289 IQ
Yes for everything but the vocals.
That position belongs to me!!! XD

But i'ld also have a strict rule of no internal relationships in the band.
We'ld all hafta be like brothers and sisters.

And more than 1 girl in a 4pc band would become a little too much for me... Maybe 2 girls...
But i can't see myself being the only guy in an all girl band!
Last edited by af_the_fragile at Mar 18, 2008,
Damascus
The Insect King
307 IQ
Quote by af_the_fragile
But i can't see myself being the only guy in an all girl band!

Yeah, getting the undivided attention of 100% of the straight female groupies after a gig would be so tiresome.
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt
4,159 IQ
If they are creative and talented, why not?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
The Arch Enemy
Banned
344 IQ
No, Becuase everyone is going to label you the band with a female whatever and all the attention is going towards her.When we are on tour you can do stuff with a girl in the band then a all guy band.

Yes, I know my name is going to make this ironic...
Hair Banger!
87 IQ
If she's talented, then why not? Of course, no kind of personal relationships could evolve, though. It does seem likely that a male band member would be attracted to the female, so yes, it could cause a problem. I'd go for it, but if I saw anything personal going on, then I'd tell one of them to hit the road. If it became to personal, I'd tell them both to leave, get a room, and never come back.
the_poison125
2,121 IQ
If she was the sister or girlfreind of one of the band mates then i wouldnt...

The last thing you want is dating issues to become more important than the band
af_the_fragile
Banned
1,289 IQ
Quote by Damascus
Yeah, getting the undivided attention of 100% of the straight female groupies after a gig would be so tiresome.

Nah, they'ld just be too much estrogen to deal with...!
AngusX
UG Senior Member
196 IQ
Yep, done it before, and I'd do it again. My girlfriend is actually singing for an all-male band right now.

I don't know why people are so worried about who they have in their band. I'm all for taking whoever sounds good to me, regardless of what they are (unless they are like a mongoloid or something, then I'd take them even if they didn't sound that good).
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
dkm
32 IQ
Bass guitar? hell yeah. i dunno why but that just strikes me as awesome. Backup vocals? sure. lead vocals kinda sets the mood for the whole band... itd suck having an awesome rock song turn hannah montana. unless she was more like... that chick from waynes world. drums? drums seem too masculine, thatd just be wierd. rythm guitar and lead guitar are inbetween, dont really care.
Kivarenn82
Metal Un-Litist
1,402 IQ
sure.. as long as the person can play the material and contribute to writing new material.. the sex, colour, whatever doesn't matter.
Some grammar and proper spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.

*This has been a public service announcement*
pandora_grunt
Keys Blaster
62 IQ
I laugh at the people that use the attraction part as an argument, completely ignoring the fact op male territorial feelings. They're there to you you know?

Anyway I'm with Archeo on this one. A set of standards is all you need.
Wiirdo
328 IQ
I think it's bad to have a female vocalist,because if she's a girl the rest of the band will take a back seat. Look at Paramore, and Evanescance. Having something like a female bassist wouldn't be too bad though.
ChrisN
I signed up for this?
201 IQ
As someone has already said... as long as it's not for any kind of vocal duties, yes. Without a doubt.
sanchezero
101 IQ
i'm all for female vox. osme of my favorite bands have girls up front.

paramore, flyleaf and otep for example.

then look at bands where the vocals are shared like lacuna coil or shiny toy guns. it gives alot of tonal range.

plus, be honest, a hot chick in the band can totally increase the bands marketability.

and finally, if you get a bit bent outta shape, you can always bang her and break up the band...
af_the_fragile
Banned
1,289 IQ
^I'ld like to do an electronic project with a female vocalist.
Do something like Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Frou Frou, Garbage and all....

And i love Yeah Yeah Yeahs!
I wouldn't mind having a female vocalist if i was in an indie-punk band.
But as i'm more punk/post-hardcore/rock/metal, and i'm the vocalist, there's no place for a female vocalist in my band. Atleast not my main band.
Gurgle!Argh!
-
1,444 IQ
Quote by impeachpedro10

www.myspace.com/rolotomassi
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
chillbeast
Industrigital
65 IQ
sure why not, as long as the aforementioned issues(relationships or whatever) don't become a problem i'm all for having any gender/race/religion/etc in my band
Retro Rocker
Banned
777 IQ
I'm considering whether or not to plough the singer in my band. I doubt it would cause any problems.

My life is full of hard choices.
Damascus
The Insect King
307 IQ
Quote by Wiirdo
I think it's bad to have a female vocalist,because if she's a girl the rest of the band will take a back seat. Look at Paramore, and Evanescance. Having something like a female bassist wouldn't be too bad though.

I swear there was a similar thread about 2 weeks ago and someone said almost exactly the same thing. I'm not going to make the same (long) list that I did then - the bottom line is, if your band is percieved as the backing outfit of a female lead singer, then you are to blame, not her.

You. Your lack of talent and creativity puts you in the shadows. Not her.
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
chillbeast
Industrigital
65 IQ
Quote by Damascus
I swear there was a similar thread about 2 weeks ago and someone said almost exactly the same thing. I'm not going to make the same (long) list that I did then - the bottom line is, if your band is percieved as the backing outfit of a female lead singer, then you are to blame, not her.

You. Your lack of talent and creativity puts you in the shadows. Not her.

+1000

and really if she is a good frontwoman, and you are playing hella gigs...who cares? If you are a badass guitarist or whatever you will still shine
Last edited by chillbeast at Mar 19, 2008,
Symmetry4321
517 IQ
How good is she?

If she is worth her salt and your best option, take her in, whatever the position