I've always wanted a PGM model Ibanez, for many reasons: Love the look, love that it's the Ibby neck but 2mm thicker, love that it's got 3 pickups (hopefully the next one has HSS), love that it's got a FIXED BRIDGE! the reverse headstock looks cool if nothing else, and the maple fretboard is a step out of the ordinary for an Ibanez.

Still, as much as I love shred, I play a damn lot more rock, classic rock, hard rock, "blues" and other things of the like, so I'm lately thinking that maybe the PGM isn't the right guitar for such things? I have a Peavey Classic 30, which I bought knowing was not for metal, which is what I wanted, as metal does not come first for me. Do you think this guitar could do it well, considering it has no tone knob? Do you think, that with a pickup change I could pull off everything I wanted with this guitar?

Alternately, I'd probably get a Gibby SG standard or '61 reissue (in white, because I'm so pimpalicious)... also, I played around with an RGA121 on the Peavey Classic 30 and it was pretty good, how similar do you think the 2 sound (I would imagine not very, as about the only similar feature is the back of the necks are maple :P)?

Keep in mind that PGMs are hard as Hell to find :P though I could order one into Sam Ash and try it on the Peavey.

This is what I've most recently been working on: http://youtube.com/watch?v=dOWVg0AoHWE
Thanks
Quote by Habit Zero
I've always wanted a PGM model Ibanez, for many reasons: Love the look, love that it's the Ibby neck but 2mm thicker, love that it's got 3 pickups (hopefully the next one has HSS), love that it's got a FIXED BRIDGE! the reverse headstock looks cool if nothing else, and the maple fretboard is a step out of the ordinary for an Ibanez.

One minor detail, the neck is actually just a Wizard II as far as I know. The 2mm thicker is when compared to a Wizard neck.

Quote by Habit Zero
Still, as much as I love shred, I play a damn lot more rock, classic rock, hard rock, "blues" and other things of the like, so I'm lately thinking that maybe the PGM isn't the right guitar for such things? I have a Peavey Classic 30, which I bought knowing was not for metal, which is what I wanted, as metal does not come first for me. Do you think this guitar could do it well, considering it has no tone knob? Do you think, that with a pickup change I could pull off everything I wanted with this guitar?

The pickups should be able to handle that.

Keep in mind that most of Paul's solo stuff the last few years has been very pop orientated.

His playing has gotten a bit more bluesy and he usually uses less gain than before, yet he still has those DiMarzio's.

Quote by Habit Zero
Alternately, I'd probably get a Gibby SG standard or '61 reissue (in white, because I'm so pimpalicious)... also, I played around with an RGA121 on the Peavey Classic 30 and it was pretty good, how similar do you think the 2 sound (I would imagine not very, as about the only similar feature is the back of the necks are maple :P)?

Those guitars are pretty different.

Atleast try to get your hands on a PGM before buying another guitar; Sam Ash occassionaly has some in stock.

Quote by Habit Zero
Keep in mind that PGMs are hard as Hell to find :P though I could order one into Sam Ash and try it on the Peavey.

You could.

Again, trying it is the most important part

Quote by Habit Zero
This is what I've most recently been working on: http://youtube.com/watch?v=dOWVg0AoHWE
Thanks

Like I said, ever since "King of Clubs" he's been getting into a 'more pop and less shred' style.

By the way, if you're still in doubt I could post the cover for the GW buyers guide again
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Mar 18, 2008,
Its a great guitar. Sounds much like a strat with the selector switch in the specific position with the volume rolled down a little. Not having a tone knob doesnt stop PG; dont let it fool you, it still makes an ass-ton of sounds. The selector switch is a 5-way, but it has a really really complicated wiring schematic that produces sound that make it seem like its 5 different guitars!

As far as what you play.....have you herd PG's new album? That guy rocks out, like......ROCKS OUT. Similar, i think, to what you are describing. Very oldschool type of rock n roll to his playing, very good. Check out Technical Difficulties and Mr. Big for the sound he gets. There are god knows how many instructional videos of him playing with it and demo'ing it.

All-in-all, i think it is a beautiful guitar and plays amazingly. If you get to the point in your playing where you want another toy and know that this guitar produces the sound you want, go for it.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
One minor detail, the neck is actually just a Wizard II as far as I know. The 2mm thicker is when compared to a Wizard neck.

By the way, if you're still in doubt I could post the cover for the GW buyers guide again

The one with "Sara Underwear" as Paul calls her?

I just looked up info about the neck and now I don't understand why they market it as 2mm thicker than the Wizard, when they could just call it the Wizard II. Did it come about before the Wizard II?

Also, thanks everyone, you quickly extinguished my "unsurityness" about the guitar.
Last edited by Habit Zero at Mar 18, 2008,