aight so ive only just started playing, but all im doing when practicing is trying to learn songs. working on californication / back in black at the mo but thought I better get onto learning some scales. What to go for first, should I follow this site

http://www.guitarscalemastery.com/articles/guitar-scale-tips/what-are-the-best-guitar-scales-to-learn-first/ ??

Also what would you recommend for me to do in my practices. Looking for a private teacher but its not going too well. So ive come to you for help

Cheers
Okay, here is my advice.

Do not learn songs.

Go to your local music shop and buy a few music books on Music Theory and then one or do beginer books and follow those.

your just starting up, and you probably do not know a thing about rythym or notes, this all will take maybe 2-3 months, but you will save yourself hassle in the long run.

There are a whole bunch of good websites out there to. like this one
He don't remember, how it got there
It had a number, written on his forearm
It spelled disaster
well I used to play piano when I was a bit younger so I got abit of background, are those scales on that site correct or is there another scale I should be starting on. Ive read about the ones with greek names (think its greek?) dorian etc. should I be looking into them. cheers
Quote by mhuckins
Okay, here is my advice.

Do not learn songs.

Go to your local music shop and buy a few music books on Music Theory and then one or do beginer books and follow those.

your just starting up, and you probably do not know a thing about rythym or notes, this all will take maybe 2-3 months, but you will save yourself hassle in the long run.

There are a whole bunch of good websites out there to. like this one

Honestly, doing that right off the bat will bore him more than anything. When you first start out, you just want to jam out and play your favourite songs. You don't want learn all the junk like that.

Learn some songs first and when you feel like you want to make a leap, start to learn scales and theory and what not.

Quote by dzan
well I used to play piano when I was a bit younger so I got abit of background, are those scales on that site correct or is there another scale I should be starting on. Ive read about the ones with greek names (think its greek?) dorian etc. should I be looking into them. cheers

Start off with something like the Pentatonic and the Blues Scale if you really want scales.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I agree with HA...H4T£...HAT£*.$£%£$...w/eva

Forget scales for the time being, theory is only useful if you have the opportunity to apply it and at this early stage you're not going to be able to. Concentrate on nailing the sheer mechanics of the guitar, fretting cleanly, picking accurately, strumming in time etc.

The songs you're trying are probably too hard for an absolute beginner though, start by learning some open chords and find some songs to practice that use them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
I agree with HA...H4T£...HAT£*.$£%£$...w/eva

Forget scales for the time being, theory is only useful if you have the opportunity to apply it and at this early stage you're not going to be able to. Concentrate on nailing the sheer mechanics of the guitar, fretting cleanly, picking accurately, strumming in time etc.

The songs you're trying are probably too hard for an absolute beginner though, start by learning some open chords and find some songs to practice that use them.

You could've just copied and pasted my name.

I don't know why people make a big deal, it isn't that hard to write out!

Just kidding! Love you Steven Seagull

But yeah, I agree, work on your playing instead of scales.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.