I am looking into investing in a new combo amp and possibly some pedals to accompany that. I currently have a Line 6 Spider II with 2 10's in it with a Line 6 FBV Shortboard.

I play bass in a (somewhat progressive) metal band, but our guitarist has been using my guitar amp since he is short on cash. We haven't been very happy with the tone of the current amp, it is kind of harsh when distorted and pretty bland when clean, no matter how much tweaking we do with the tone.

We are looking for something in the $300-500 range with just the basics (clean and distortion) that sounds good. It needs to be somewhat loud, because we play shows a few times a month, but the amp is normally mic'ed at these shows. We do not use too many effects, but we would probably get a wah pedal and maybe a distortion pedal if necessary.
We just want to get a better sound.

Any suggestions?
If you are using distortion pedals, be sure to get am amp with an effects loop input or an auxiliary input. This bypasses the amp settings and just utilizes the speaker. Plugging a pedal in through the normal guitar input would severely muddy up the pedal's sound.
Quote by ElMaco
My last pay check was £0 working 0 hours. I can't believe how easy it was
well a great combo amp to look into if you wanna save a bit more. is the Traynor YCV50 and Peavey Classc 30.

you can get both of these amps used for around 400.

Some good pedals for overdrive is Ibanez TS9 and Maxon TS808.

Boss DD3 or 6 for delay.

And a Chorus pedal of some sort
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
One of 'em old 8080 Valvestates from the 90's ? There one on eBay for 320 USD right now... Check out the reviews about it on Harmony Central. That could possibly suit your needs
Quote by Mackin
One of 'em old 8080 Valvestates from the 90's ? There one on eBay for 320 USD right now... Check out the reviews about it on Harmony Central. That could possibly suit your needs

valvestate= bad they're like MGs
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Minderbinder
If you are using distortion pedals, be sure to get am amp with an effects loop input or an auxiliary input. This bypasses the amp settings and just utilizes the speaker. Plugging a pedal in through the normal guitar input would severely muddy up the pedal's sound.

Effect loops are generally used for modulation and delay pedals, not distortion and OD.
Quote by Bostonrocks
valvestate= bad they're like MGs

If you mean the new AVT's, I agree. Otherwise, the Mk I Valvestates were no cheap ****. Heck, even Chuck of Death used a 8100 head
Quote by Mackin
If you mean the new AVT's, I agree. Otherwise, the Mk I Valvestates were no cheap ****. Heck, even Chuck of Death used a 8100 head

yah I meant the AVTs

and I didn't go look at the one on ebay is it an older one?

I still think a Traynor OR Classic 30 would suit him better
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
We practice in a small room with a loud drummer. Do you think 1x12s like the Traynor or the Peavey you suggested will be able to handle that?
yes It would do fine

trust me you wont regret buying a tube amp.

what kind of music do you play?

cause the Traynor and Classic 30 excel at Blues And Classic rock. And a Bit of metal but its not gonnna do great metal.
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
yah I meant the AVTs

and I didn't go look at the one on ebay is it an older one?

I still think a Traynor OR Classic 30 would suit him better

AVT's... a friend of mine has one. I really don't like it... For metal/higher gain settings it simply doesn't cut it. Get clogged up with mud easily

...The 8080 on eBay right now : I think it's an older model. I haven't visually verified but I'm pretty sure it's an Mk I. If it has the Line Out & Foot Switch jacks on the far right of the front panel, it's an Mk I (based on what I know). Should check the Marshall Amps website about that.
Quote by Mackin
AVT's... a friend of mine has one. I really don't like it... For metal/higher gain settings it simply doesn't cut it. Get clogged up with mud easily

...The 8080 on eBay right now : I think it's an older model. I haven't visually verified but I'm pretty sure it's an Mk I. If it has the Line Out & Foot Switch jacks on the far right of the front panel, it's an Mk I (based on what I know). Should check the Marshall Amps website about that.

I've never played an old valvestate I'll have to try one out someday. I've only tried newer ones and my ears started to bleed lol
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
I play a lot of everything, but the two bands I play with are instrumental rock (so probably a great candidate for one of those amps), and metal (not so great a candidate for one of those amps).
yep it'll work great for that stuff
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
I've never played an old valvestate I'll have to try one out someday. I've only tried newer ones and my ears started to bleed lol

lol ! I agree... I asked to try out a nice Japanese Jackson at my local music store a while ago and the clerk plugged the guitar into a tiny Valvestate (probably 20 watts) and proceeded to explain the purpose of the 3-band eq to me. No need to say it was a weird (and bad sounding) experience...
...and the Floyd bridge was out of tune as well
lol that sucks
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Minderbinder

Wrong.
Quote by Minderbinder

NO. Wrong. No. Fail. Epic Fail. No. NO NO NO NO NO.

Od's, distortions, fuzz...etc ALWAYS (or more appropriately spoken.."conventionally") go directly to the amp. If your amp has an effects loop.. that is where your modulation (phase, flanger, etc) or delay will go.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.