Hey, I've noticed that my pinky is sort of lagging behind on my fretting hand, I was wondering if you guys knew of any pinky exercises which focused and the pinky and could help me in that area, thanks.
play guitar hero on expert. i usually cant play above medium but the stretch to the orange button trains you to use your pinky when fretting...its the one thing that game can do right when it comes to relating to actual guitar
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Get a boner and slap your school doctor in the face with your penis.

It'll be funny.

Haiku by of friend of mine:
Fat guy play the bass
Get your jam on, get your jam
And peanut butter

Live Fast, Die Fun
play songs that use your pinky.
i know this sounds like a snide remark, but really
just play songs that use your pinky, and that'll work a whole lot better than tying weights to your pinky and doing curls or something ridiculous.
i learned this from steve vai's ten hour guitar workout thing(or maybe it was 30 hour?)but just keep you index finger planted and hammer on and off with your middle for a minute, then your ring finger, and then your pinky. After that, you alternate between all of them for a minute
It helps a lot and is a good excersize for all of your fingers. You should try to slowly extend the time avery day
My Gear
Fender 72 Tele Deluxe
Behringer GM108
Austin Boot-Heel Cutaway
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Peavey Valveking 112

Quote by mikeman
Everyone can relate to food or taking dumps but nobody sings about it.
Quote by burgurhead1812
play guitar hero on expert. i usually cant play above medium but the stretch to the orange button trains you to use your pinky when fretting...its the one thing that game can do right when it comes to relating to actual guitar

... I don't have Guitar Hero... I was hoping for exercises on REAL guitar..

Oh and I don't know many songs that heavily use the pinky... Even if I do, I usually just extend my ring finger... so I need an exercise that will focus on my pinky more.
Play chromatics scales with a metronome or train yourself to sweep. Both are hell on the pinky if done correctly.
No man is your friend, no man is your enemy, but every man is your teacher.

When he asked for John Myung, John Myung said:"Who the hell is John Myung?"

Proud User of Ibanez, Korg, Rocktron, ENGL
Quote by burgurhead1812

I used to do this for an exercise:

-----------------------------
---------------------etc----
--------------3-7-----------
---------3-7----------------
-----3-7--------------------
-3-7------------------------

This one really works the fingers. Do this as fast as possible with hammer ons.

----------------------------------------------------5-9-
----------------------------------------5-9------5-9----
-----------------------------5-9-----5-9---5-9----------
-----------------5-9-----5-9-----5-9--------------------
-----5-9-----5-9-----5-9--------------------------------
-5-9-----5-9--------------------------------------------
Try this:
(using only your ring finger and pinkie)
|----------------------7h8-9p8----------------------|
|------------------7h8---------9p8------------------|
|--------------7h8-----------------9p8--------------|
|----------7h8-------------------------9p8----------|
|------7h8---------------------------------9p8------|
|--7h8-----------------------------------------9p8--|

then move up 1 fret and do it again. Repeat.

Try it with your middle and ring fingers too, it really helps their independence
Ibanez RG1570 w/ Bareknuckle Pickups
Ibanez RG655
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson Singlecut
Blackstar HT-5
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
BOSS TU-2
MXR M-108
Digitech Bad Monkey
Just play scales alot for practice. Its good to practice, and it helped me with my pinky issue
Quote by strings-N-stuff

good, i'm not the only one that laughed. OP, chromatics and exercises will help. if you're watching tv you can just work the fingerings for practice w/out the amp. its also helpful (for me at least) to practice patterns by just tapping your fingers against a desk (or your palm) if you don't have a guitar handy.
Quote by black_box
good, i'm not the only one that laughed. OP, chromatics and exercises will help. if you're watching tv you can just work the fingerings for practice w/out the amp. its also helpful (for me at least) to practice patterns by just tapping your fingers against a desk (or your palm) if you don't have a guitar handy.

Dude! I do those things all the time! Any flat surface I see, I just instinctively start now. Whenever I watch TV, no amp and practice! Ha!
Quote by Nikon87
... I don't have Guitar Hero... I was hoping for exercises on REAL guitar..

Oh and I don't know many songs that heavily use the pinky... Even if I do, I usually just extend my ring finger... so I need an exercise that will focus on my pinky more.

actually, burgurhead has a point there.

most people hate the game and blah blah blah, but it does help your rhythm and pinky movements tbh...
Use your pinky whenever you can. Worked for me, when I first started out, all I could play with was my three first fingers. I then took a day and learned the beginning of "In The Presence of Enemies PT.1" by Dream Theater (damn ****ing hard for me back then), and I've never had problems using my pinky since that :p
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black