This weekend I'm going to buy a new amp. I've got a horrible Digital G-Dec now, and Am getting what I orginally wanted, an all-tube. I'm planning on getting the Palomino V16. I haven't had much chance to actually play the amp, although i have listened to sound samples. The cleans sound great to me, and the natural overdrive sounds really good too, at least to a certain point. I'm probably going to get an OD pedal to go with it. I play anything from crystal clear cleans, to blues and blues-rock, to classic rock, to 80's hard rock like Dokken and Def Leppard, and sounds like the Darkness. Mostly stuff around the SRV-Hendrix-the Darkness area.

This sound like a good idea, or could i do better for my style? My price range is about $200-$300.

Also, this is going to sound like a really dumb question, but I don't have much experience with tubes, so here it goes: About tubes in general, can you turn up the volume to get the natural tube distortion, and then roll down the volume on your guitar, and get natural tube distortion without getting too loud? Or is it the actual high volumes that make tubes distort?

Thanks in advance.
Quote by metallicafan616
what is hair metal?

Fail.
About the amp: the amp loves hard rock. It also gets a good hendrixy sound.

For the other question: No, it would not work. The volume on the guitar is kind of like a second gain knob. You would need both the gain and guitar volume up.
Perfect. I know i can't base everything on one opinion, but to hear someone say it nails what i want most makes me a happier man.

So, what OD pedal would you suggest to kind of imitate that natural, tube overdriven sound? I like the palomino's overdrive to an extent, but i don't want to have to turn it up too loud sometimes just to get a distortion from it. I just play by myself or other guitarists for now, but i mostly like to play lead, if that matters.
Thx in advance, again

Edit: Heard bad things about the vietnamise made Palominos. Any way to tell if it's not american made, or do i just have to have to store staff tell me?
Quote by metallicafan616
what is hair metal?

Fail.
Last edited by Wanna l3 at Mar 18, 2008,
To answer your ?s
On the back it'll say where it's made. Mine's from viet and it's fine though.

Don't know aboot the pickup thing.

Id reccomend a bad monkey.
I've got a Fulltone OCD that just nails that classic rock sound. I love it. Check out some samples online on youtube or something.

It reaaly favors the bridge pickup on my Les Paul. It gets a bit muddier when I got up to the neck pickup, so I usually stay in the bridge and (neck plus bridge) pickup combinations.
That amp probably isn't a bad idea, especially if you like it.

About your second question, getting really nice power tube overdrive then rolling back the guitar's volume will clean your tone up a bit.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by lemonsquares42
I've got a Fulltone OCD that just nails that classic rock sound. I love it.

He's buying an amp under $300, he's probably not looking for a $150 OD pedal right now.

The Bad Monkey is a good choice, looking for a used TS9 or Boss Blues Driver wouldn't be a bad idea, either. Check ebay, Craig's List, local pawn shops, etc. There's a pretty strong second hand pedal market out there.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Thanks, I'll look into some used pedals. If that OD isn't fond of neck pickups, i'm staying way from it though. I use the neck pickup alot.
Quote by metallicafan616
what is hair metal?

Fail.
^Slat's suggestions were good as far as OD pedals go. TS9s and Boss Blues Drivers both go quite cheap used and can very easily be modded into very good pedals.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
You can install an attenuator in-between the amp and the speaker. With the right setup you should be able to overdrive the speaker at bedroom levels.

Peavey's Windsor Studio and Mini Colossal are reasonably priced and have them built in.