Can the Traynor YCV50BLUE do metal (thrash & southern/stoner), or will it need a distortion/overdrive pedal in front of it?
It can do 80's metal very well. For nu-metal or black metal, you're better off with with a distortion pedal or another amp.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
The traynor is not really a hi gain amp. I would say you will need a pedal. Try the krank krankshaft or distortus maximus. Very good from what I hear. I need to get rid of my traynor because it cant handle any metal stuff I wanna do. I love it for creamy overdrives and the cleans though.
Gear:
ESP/LTD EC1000 (w/ EMG 81 and 60)
ESP/LTD H500 (w/SD Custom 5 and 59)
Fender MIM Strat (basically my first. Never play it.)
Traynor YCV80 4x10
Peavey 6505 2x12 combo

Half Stacks are OVER-Rated
Quote by Archeo Avis
It can do 80's metal very well. For nu-metal or black metal, you're better off with with a distortion pedal or another amp.

Have you ever played one?

No, it will not do thrash. It is just a LITTLE bit short. With an OD pedal you will easily be able to get thrash. Unless you can crank it (and suffer ear damage) it cannot reach 80's metal, but it comes descently close. For a couple crappy mic'd demos, check my profile. The dirty demo is just a little less gain than max.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
it wont do metal, but personally, i can get a really good hard rock tone with an mxr 10 band eq in front of it, if you want metal, i think u should look else where
Guitars
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Alpine White) (retired)
Gibson Les Paul Swamp Ash studio
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded (Tobacco Burst)

Bass
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz
I think heartinthebox or whatever his name is with the ycs50 said that it can do metal if i remember right. Perhaps check out htat/ its like 100 more bucks.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
What would be a better option than the Traynor for around $600 Can? I have heard alot of hype about the Peavey Valveking when switching the stock speaker and also someone recommended the Randall RG50TC, but I am open to looking at other combo amps.
Like i said, check out ycs50.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769

No, it will not do thrash. It is just a LITTLE bit short. With an OD pedal you will easily be able to get thrash. Unless you can crank it (and suffer ear damage) it cannot reach 80's metal, but it comes descently close. For a couple crappy mic'd demos, check my profile. The dirty demo is just a little less gain than max.

I own one. It does thrash just fine.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
From my experience it can easily get Maiden like distortion with high output PU. This was with master volume at 10 oclocl.

Quote by kool98769

I checked your profile, you say that you're using a Squier. Have you tried it wih any other guitar with good pickups? That could be why you're not getting thrash sound.
Last edited by Steel8909 at Mar 18, 2008,
I'm not sure what it says on my profile but I have never owned a Squier. My current guitar is a BC Rich NJ neck-thru Beast with a Seymour Duncan JB & Jazz, in the bridge and neck respectively. I also play an '86 Charvel San Dimas with a h/s/s pickup configuration. I am willing to buy used but seeing that I live in Newfoundland, shipping fees are usually ridiculous for any moderate size parcel. Sorry, I thought that you were talking to me, but nonetheless I am still curious as to how the Traynor would sound with my BC Rich and seeing that I am not able to try one myself I was wondering if anyone has used this amp with a similar setup.
Last edited by exodus7 at Mar 19, 2008,
get a Randall RG50TC, very good hi-gain combo.
Oh, and if you get the money, the best hi-gain combo would be the ENGL Screamer for $1200 American, but that's if you can get that much.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by exodus7
What would be a better option than the Traynor for around $600 Can? I have heard alot of hype about the Peavey Valveking when switching the stock speaker and also someone recommended the Randall RG50TC, but I am open to looking at other combo amps.

The Traynor is significantly higher quality than the Randall or VK. Maybe those amps have a little more gain on tap, but that would be a poor reason to choose them over the Traynor. The difference won't be that great. If you're really concerned about getting a lot of gain, you'll probably need a pedal of some sort no matter what amp you buy. So buy the best one. Traynor pwns those other two companies.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Looking at all of these amps, the Traynor YCS50 seems to be my best option. I know that the local music store has started selling Traynor products, so I might be able to get a good deal on one. In terms of the overdrive/distortion pedal, which would you recommend?
Quote by exodus7
In terms of the overdrive/distortion pedal, which would you recommend?

That's a whole 'nother bag of worms, easily as subjective as the "which amp" question. The crowd favorite around here is probably the OCD, but the Bad Monkey gets a good rap based primarily on the cost of entry. No one will question/judge you if you buy something generic and inexpensive like a TS-9, but they probably will if you buy something boutique and pricey like a 'Box of Rock'. It's quite the headache sometimes and could easily drive the weak minded to substance abuse of one form or another.

That being said, you may just want to float around to various music stores and try a few things out. First recommendation: try a Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM