Anyone know if its actually legal to own and operate a car where the steering is on the right in the US? I wanna get a little European car or something but I think having one with the left side drivers side would sort of demoralize it. Also would insurance etc be higher?
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
I don't know if it's illegal. I think it is legal, actually.

I'm basing this off of a guess, and that my mail carrier drives a European car with a right sided driver seat.
When the music's over, turn out the lights.

Quote by pencap
i fingerd my girl the other day she got so wet nearly my entier hand was soked after that i ate her up, she blacked out it was awesome
It's legal. I've seen a few people convert their cars to RHD.

Good luck paying importing fees and trying to get it registered, though.
My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
I don't think there's any real restriction.

Like the guy above me said, mail trucks are right hand drive.

The only way to really find out is to look up laws, IMO. *shrugs*
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by soul_power
Anyone know if its actually legal to own and operate a car where the steering is on the right in the US? I wanna get a little European car or something but I think having one with the left side drivers side would sort of demoralize it. Also would insurance etc be higher?

The only country in europe (or at least one of the very few) that has right side wheels is UK.

So unless you're gonna bring one from England in a container (which is gonna cost you ****loads), you're probably not gonna land on one. Plus, the english make most of their cars left-wheeled, so they can be sold elsewhere. (export)

Right wheel cars are legal here though. But inconvenient...i mean if you're like trying to overtake someone, then you won't really see an oncoming car from the lane next to you, before 1/2 of the car is already on the other lane.
Last edited by zwound at Mar 18, 2008,
I'm not sure about in the US, but in Canada it's perfectly legal so I don't see why it would be any different. In fact two of my good friends have right-hand drive honda civics imported from Japan, and as far as I know they don't have to pay any extra to insure it.
its harder to because you drive on the right side, but i think its actually legal, but just rare
My Gear
Fender 72 Tele Deluxe
Behringer GM108
Austin Boot-Heel Cutaway
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Peavey Valveking 112

Quote by mikeman
Everyone can relate to food or taking dumps but nobody sings about it.
Best of luck.
Now for legality
AS far as right hand driving, i dont in my knowledge know it to be illegal, but this may vary state to state.
However shipping a car from europe or japan can be expensive, and i can without a shadow of a doubt say that the cars will not pass inspection ( well maybe european cars but i highly doubt it. I know with japanese cars you almost have to rebuild the front end, because of headlight height requirements and other things. This is the kind of question you want to look up and research, because something tells me very few people on UG have a great amount of knowledge about this. MYself included in the lacking department.
You get nothing! You lose! Good day sir!
Quote by zwound
The only country in europe (or at least one of the very few) that has right side wheels is UK.

So unless you're gonna bring one from England in a container (which is gonna cost you ****loads), you're probably not gonna land on one. Plus, the english make most of their cars left-wheeled, so they can be sold elsewhere.

Right wheel cars are legal here though. But inconvenient...i mean if you're like trying to overtake someone, then you won't really see an oncoming car from the lane next to you, before 1/2 of the car is already on the other lane.

I have actually seen quite a few in Canada so if I do get one I'll probably go up there and try to find one.
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
It's legal. Unless you're after a Nissan Skyling GT-R, it ain't worth it. Which you aren't, since you said you want a little european car.
Quote by RHCP94
It's an option for the "Which one of E Daws parents are uglier?" thread.
i never thought i'd say this, but insurance and the law are the least of your worries. Import and registration fees are gonna be massive, but it should be legal.

little European car...what were you thinking of getting? a fiat? renault? peugeot?
it's more expensive to ship from the UK, but if your THAT ANAL, it could be done. Most of Europe is not like the UK road-wise, so the cars are originally like north american cars. Technically, having right side drive is "demoralizing" the original car, so buying one locally is not "demoralizing" it.
"A guitar is the human soul, speaking with just six strings..."- Eddie Lee

Irvine Kinneas of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
I'm pretty sure it's legal
Quote by Pinballwizard93
you sir, Martinikiss7, should be president.

Jizz is where it is
Quote by H(i)SS
i never thought i'd say this, but insurance and the law are the least of your worries. Import and registration fees are gonna be massive, but it should be legal.

little European car...what were you thinking of getting? a fiat? renault? peugeot?

Quote by RHCP94
It's an option for the "Which one of E Daws parents are uglier?" thread.
Quote by H(i)SS

I'd like a Puegeot if I can find one.
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Peugeot's are 95% left wheeled anyway, since it's not a british car. The French drive on the right side of the road, and their market is mostly europe directed (in other words, for right side traffic). They probably make like 5% of their cars as an exception for the bastard britain. ( i mean what the heck? how come brits have so much exceptions over the other EU countries? Right sinde traffic, pound as currency?)

In short: the chances of you finding a right wheeled peugeot are very slim.
Last edited by zwound at Mar 18, 2008,
You should totally buy a beetle though.

Oh, and stay away from renault. probably the worst brand of european cars there is...they last you like 3 years, and that's it. The manager of my band drives one...and so do my grandparents.
If you really want a British car then do it, it's legal, have fun using drive thrus and whatnot though.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Well, they're selling Smart cars in the US now, if you're after tiny European cars. They have been "Americanized" though (steering wheel on the left)
Quote by zwound
( i mean what the heck? how come brits have so much exceptions over the other EU countries? Right sinde traffic, pound as currency?)

It's because we're awesome.