Page 1 of 2
Just wondering what are some good low watt TUBE amps that can play metal either on its own or with an OD pedal of some sort.

There are plenty of amps that can play metal but they have way too much wattage for someone who will probly never gig, jam with people but no gig

I don't mean this kind of metal http://youtube.com/watch?v=F4GsoqbvONs lol

This kind http://youtube.com/watch?v=uebInqG1pJI&feature=related and this http://youtube.com/watch?v=6MAOLbylg8A

Any?
You could run an OD in front of a Peavey Valveking, so yeah. It comes in a 1x12.
Quote by rwalby9
You could run an OD in front of a Peavey Valveking, so yeah. It comes in a 1x12.

I consider 50 watts too much lol
Quote by Steel8909
I consider 50 watts too much lol

Eh sorry lol. Palomino V8 5W perhaps? Obviously still it'd require an OD.
Peavey Windsor's pretty much a hot rodded JCM, that can qualify as a metal amp, I guess. It's 20W, and I think the attenuator takes it down to 5 or so.
I know its more wattage then you want but a peavey xxx will make good metal tones at low volume...I have a peavey xxx 1x12 combo and it sounds good at low volumes and it has more than enough reserve to destroy as many eardrums as you may need to...you can often find pretty good deals on used ones and if you change the stock speaker they sound pretty damn good
Member of UG's gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join.
The valveking comes in 5 watts? too. Though its called the Peavey Royal 8. But im pretty sure its just like the the valvekings. it is under the valveking space on peaveys website
There's that little ibanez 5 watter than can do metal-valbee. Other than that a palomino may be close with an od but not too many metal sounds since its not meant for it. And yeah my triple xxx can be at low volume and do good metal tho it sounds much better with the volume up.
ive heard great things about the peavey royal 8...i know a guy who loved it soo much he got a cuztom case for it
Why not just get a solid state amp if you're going to play metal at low volumes?
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
I think in this case, a solid state amp would be better.
Daron. The Pit loves you.
daron aka kosmic is now a pit legend
Best post on the pit. Good for you.
thats pretty epic.
So you're like a slower paced Forrest Gump...
Yup...
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Peavey Windsor's pretty much a hot rodded JCM, that can qualify as a metal amp, I guess. It's 20W, and I think the attenuator takes it down to 5 or so.

The Windsor Studio combo doesn't sound like the standard head and from what I've heard so far from reviews and other sources, (Thank you Gear Wire guy for making every single demo as boring as the last. ) isn't too great sounding.

I've really played one. Some guy around here had got one at Ebay and brought it to a guitar store I frequent. I wasn't really too impressed.

I suppose it was solid for 300 bucks though I guess.

You could get a nice Randall solid state combo. Those things are pretty rocking.

If you really want to go with a valve amp, check out the Peavey JSX Mini Colossal.

5 watts and all the gain you could want.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Mini Colossal is pretty good for metal, but it squeals like a pig sometimes.
No man is your friend, no man is your enemy, but every man is your teacher.

When he asked for John Myung, John Myung said:"Who the hell is John Myung?"

Proud User of Ibanez, Korg, Rocktron, ENGL
Quote by SQHero
Mini Colossal is pretty good for metal, but it squeals like a pig sometimes.

Not a big fan of the tremolo on it either.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Not a big fan of the tremolo on it either.

Ha, owned. All the extra bling on the Mini Colossal is BS other than the little gain maintaining thingy knob.

Quote by SQHero
Ha, owned. All the extra bling on the Mini Colossal is BS other than the little gain maintaining thingy knob.

For sure. What were they thinking?

'Let's make a mini JSX to compete with the Valve Juniors and the Little Giants. But we'll make this one more metal orientated!'

'Okay! But let's throw in tremolo! They don't need chorus, tremolo is where it's at nowadays.'

'Great idea, this is going to go well, I can feel it...'

It probably didn't go like that though.

It was probably more of a Satriani just going, 'put tremolo on the thing'
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

It was probably more of a Satriani just going, 'put tremolo on the thing'

I've never hear Satriani with noticeable tremolo in any of his songs, why the hell is tremolo even on that thing?

Quote by SQHero
I've never hear Satriani with noticeable tremolo in any of his songs, why the hell is tremolo even on that thing?

I don't know? Maybe Satch was feeling wacky?

Maybe when Peavey was making the amp, they had some employee test it out and thought, 'Man, this needs tremolo.'
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Midnight had tremolo? Dude I need freaking hearing aids now, so much for tone freak title in my neck of the woods.

Peavey Mini Colossal JSX
Orange tiny terror
Krank Rev Jr
Ovation Celebrity
Schecter C-1 Classic
Peavey Valve King 112
Quote by Jinskee
Why not just get a solid state amp if you're going to play metal at low volumes?

Good idea. Check out a JSX Mini Collossal, either way.
Low wattage amps are made to get classic natural overdrive at reasonable volumes. Metal comes from lots of preamp gain. You can pretty much play any amp designed for metal with the master on 1 and it'll still sound good.
These go to eleven...
Quote by JimPlaysGuitar
Low wattage amps are made to get classic natural overdrive at reasonable volumes. Metal comes from lots of preamp gain. You can pretty much play any amp designed for metal with the master on 1 and it'll still sound good.

Ehhh...It won't sound good.

It'll sound like the gain was pushed to 20, and the bass to -5, but yeah, it will have gain all the way to 0.

Mark IV's go all the way down to 15 watts. They're still loud as fack though. They do have a recording out you can use with headphones though....
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Krank Rev Jr will do it though it's 20W and isn't exactly low volume, but it's always loud enough for gigs if you needed it and for practicing with a band.

A Valve Junior can get that much gain with an OD over it, they get quite a bit of gain by themselves. A modded one would probably be able to get that much.

An Ibanez Valbee supposively has enough gain to play that as well but I've never seen one in the states so I can't confirm this.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
The Krank Rev Jr is on my short list of amps I'm considering at the moment. I'm also considering a Crate 16 watt with an OD, but I have no idea what it would sound like.
I've heard good things about the Tiny Terror, the Blackhearts and the Lanyec AC15 (was it AC15? I might think of the wrong model), but I haven't tried any of them myself.

I am currently in the same situation as you though, so this thread is relevant to my interests.
Well I want a tube amp because I hear it's awsomeness every weekend when I have lessons. Also I'm just working part time for the rest of the year til I go back to school so I can crank the thing when no one is home.

Crate seems cool but I checked L+M brand list and it wasnt there.

The Peavey XXX seems promising

Suppose I can sound proof our basement if I don;t have anything I realy like lol
Quote by MESAexplorer
Ehhh...It won't sound good.

It'll sound like the gain was pushed to 20, and the bass to -5, but yeah, it will have gain all the way to 10.

Mark IV's go all the way down to 15 watts. They're still loud as fack though. They do have a recording out you can use with headphones though....
Agreed. At low volumes with tube amps you do lose warmth. They need to be turned up - even if it is by just a small amount - to get that famous valve tone.

Which is why I'm going to build what is basically a 2w Master Volume Tube Plexi. My VC30 is too loud and shrill when quiet so this 2w Plexi will hopefully be able to be turned up enough to get warmth and depth to my tone. Keep your eyes peeled for a build thread in GB&C
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
My Tiny Terror does metal perfectly when boosted with my Bad Monkey. Even running at 7 watts I never turn the volume past 12 o'clock because it gets too loud to bear.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Tiny Terror FTW
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by DR132
I know its more wattage then you want but a peavey xxx will make good metal tones at low volume...I have a peavey xxx 1x12 combo and it sounds good at low volumes and it has more than enough reserve to destroy as many eardrums as you may need to...you can often find pretty good deals on used ones and if you change the stock speaker they sound pretty damn good

Does the 40 watt one have a master volume?
Have you looked at the Randall MTS Series? They have a 15 watt amp. It's called the RM20CB. You can switch preamp modules out of it which gives you a wide variety of sounds. And it's ALL TUBE! You should check it out.
Quote by el elegido uno
Have you looked at the Randall MTS Series? They have a 15 watt amp. It's called the RM20CB. You can switch preamp modules out of it which gives you a wide variety of sounds. And it's ALL TUBE! You should check it out.

Cool, but didn't find any reviews of it on here, and they dont cary Randall at L+M.

Also is there any mods you can do to reduce the amps watts?
The Mesa Express amps can get you Iron Maiden tones on their own. They'd need an eq or another pedal to get you Metallica tones. Their 5-W settings have looser bass their their 25 or 50 watt settings, though.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Krank Rev Jr will do it though it's 20W and isn't exactly low volume, but it's always loud enough for gigs if you needed it and for practicing with a band.

A Valve Junior can get that much gain with an OD over it, they get quite a bit of gain by themselves. A modded one would probably be able to get that much.

An Ibanez Valbee supposively has enough gain to play that as well but I've never seen one in the states so I can't confirm this.

if i were you i'd listen, a thread just isn't a thread until the claw comments..
I'm on board with the Tiny Terror. Maybe a little expensive, but it'll do uber distorted stuff at really reasonable volumes. I think it's a little warmer than the Rev Jr as well (though that is an exceptional amp itself and may be what you're ultimately looking for). Plus it comes as a combo if that's your thing.
Fargen Olde 800 1x12 Combo
Ernie Ball/Musicman Axis Super Sport Rosewood with custom HighOrder Pickups
You could also check out the Bogner Alchemist combo. It is switchable between 20 and 40 watts, as already stated though 20 watts is pretty ****ing loud. It would definately get you the tones you seek though.
Page 1 of 2