#1
I blew my Randall RH200SC pre-G2 amp head a few weeks ago.

Bad - no decent amp for a while (had to use little practice amp), had to buy a new head
Good - brand new head set to deliver to my house on Thursday!

Here's what I did: the head runs in stereo with my cab... so I have two leads going from the head to the cab, left and right. I plugged one lead from the left cab input into the right cab input (basically plugging the cab into itself - harmless). Of course the other cable connected the head to the head, and a buzzing noise and burnt rubber band smell came out of it as I wondered why the hell it wouldn't make any noise. I'm stupid, I know.

Anyways, I want to open the thing up to inspect what may have fried (maybe just some wires or something, repairable?) What I'm wondering is if there are any charged capacitors or anything in there, I don't want to get shocked. It's been unplugged for about a day.
#2
Usually within 15 seconds they will spark, after 30 seconds no spark but they can still give you a shock. After a day you should be fine. I think 30 minutes and there pretty low... Usually i just avoid the area like the plague or i slap on some nitrite gloves from the auto store. Have'nt been hit yet. If you safe you wont have any issues...

Also capicators can be discharged if your worried about it...
#3
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Usually within 15 seconds they will spark, after 30 seconds no spark but they can still give you a shock. After a day you should be fine. I think 30 minutes and there pretty low... Usually i just avoid the area like the plague or i slap on some nitrite gloves from the auto store. Have'nt been hit yet. If you safe you wont have any issues...

Also capicators can be discharged if your worried about it...

Dude, they take longer than 30 seconds. There are DEADLY capacitors dude.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
#4
Quote by kool98769
Dude, they take longer than 30 seconds. There are DEADLY capacitors dude.


Yea, thank god for my physics class, otherwise I wouldn't have even known what a capacitor is and I might have ventured into the innards of this amp unprotected without any knowledge of my wrongdoings.

I might just take it to a professional to have it looked at, better than being killed to death by a $220 amp.
#5
How long as it been sitting? If it's been a couple weeks you should be alright, but go ahead and drain them/check with a multimeter to be safe. You only need to do this on the big filter caps. It's instant if you use a screw driver or a croc clip and some wire to ground, or a bit longer if you use a big ass resistor to drain it.
#6
Quote by kool98769
Dude, they take longer than 30 seconds. There are DEADLY capacitors dude.


I said at 15 seconds they spark at 30 seconds they dont spark but they can still shock you... So in other words even if its not sparking dont mess with it.. I also stated were rubber gloves and avoid it if possible and to discharge it if your worried about it...
#7
Quote by i_baked_cookies
Yea, thank god for my physics class, otherwise I wouldn't have even known what a capacitor is and I might have ventured into the innards of this amp unprotected without any knowledge of my wrongdoings.

I might just take it to a professional to have it looked at, better than being killed to death by a $220 amp.

killed to death?
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
#9
Screwdriver on the filter caps. Put electirical tape around the handle, if you're nervous.

Probably fried the OT. Put it on CL for $50, and move on.
#10
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Screwdriver on the filter caps. Put electirical tape around the handle, if you're nervous.

Probably fried the OT. Put it on CL for $50, and move on.


How much would it be to replace the output transformer (if that's what you mean by OT)?

I like this amp, I don't want it to be dead forever.
#11
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Screwdriver on the filter caps.


No, unless you want weld it to the chassis.

Screwdriver from pin 1 of any preamp tube to ground will be gentle, without sparks or melted metal.