ok I am wondering wether this guitar sounds like this because of the string or because its a taylor...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wmmW6HSlhMA

edit: I dont know how to explain the sound i mean, but it just sounds way different..maybe you guys could recomend me some good set of strings for my acoustic...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Last edited by fifer at Mar 18, 2008,
no I can play the song and notewize it sounds the same, but it doesnt have the same sound, which strings are good for acoustic guitar?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
he's tuned to drop D.

as for strings, they're complete personal preference. dont worry about trying to sound like him by means of guitar and strings. tone doesnt come from the guitar, they come from your fingers!
ok, its just hard to pick since I cant try each kind of strings...btw I dont mean his tone, I think the string are making the sound...maybe they are some of those super slinkey or whatever...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
If you mean the sound when hes picking in the beginning it sounds like hes just muting a bit with his right hand. The strumming sounds to me like hes strumming a bit harder than his smaller bodied guitar can handle.

Other than those things i dont exactly know what type of sound you mean
o well. I guess its just the strings he is using because I have never heard an acoustic guitar sound like that before, I mean like actually see it live...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
errr... dont be afraid to go through multiple brands of strings. it took me 9 months before i figured out that martins were for me. anyway... his taylor sounds pretty standard...

try not to rely on what you hear in recordings, because very often, the true tonal qualities of the guitar are lost. even a mic cant fully express the overtones that a guitar makes, so yea...
interesting thread. i'm pretty interested to give this video a listen when i'm at home. i'll get back to this one!
It honestly sounds to me like the Ernie Ball Earthwood acoustic strings. Brand new, they are very jangly like that. Plus, he's very close to that mic and probably using a very light pick (yellow or orange tortex?? can't see the pick)
ok, next time I go to guitar center I will buy two sets of this earthwood, and two of their super slinky and two of their regular slinky..
Quote by RetroGunslinger
i havent heard many good things about ernie ball slinkies. they're good bass strings, but i've heard that they're not great for acoustic strings.
well I can buy one of each just to see which I prefer..
Quote by RetroGunslinger
I know exactly how you feel, the sound comes from alot of things, Good Guitar, this is vital, Playing dynamics, room acoustics, and well basically your fingers and how you play, having a good guitar will help, and new strings will only help at first then they turn to poop and your back to where you started.

this is from my personal experience.
ok, thanks. I have an old fender acoustic guitar from either 76 or 77 and the strings on them are pretty cheap I think...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
maybe he's plugged in and mic'd. thats what it sounds like to me.... then probably has some ehancements on mic/ DI
UG's HIPPIE
I dont know, but the more I hear it the more I am thinking its the strings...it sounds very twangish like and alive, maybe they are just like brand new strings.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
sounds like brand new strings to me and i'm sure the mic plays a part as well. i know what you mean though, i've been trying to find this one sound i heard but just can't seem to reproduce with other guitars.