hey everyone im in the market for a new used guitar. i have found a few guitars. 1)t a black Ibanez JEM555 with the Lo TRS II on it for $500 CAN( i would upgrade to a OFR of of ebay for like $50), 2)late 80's white Ibanez RG550 for $500 CAN. 3) Jackson DX10D with Dimarzio evolution 2 pickups for $550 CAN. 4) a red Ibanez RGT42FM for $500 CAN.

can someone please give me some input on these guitars and maybe rank them from best to worst. please keep in mind that i would eventually replace that LO TRS with Original Floyd rose or a PRO.
Jackson FTW.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by stefan.416
hey everyone im in the market for a new used guitar. i have found a few guitars. 1)t a black Ibanez JEM555 with the Lo TRS II on it for $500 CAN( i would upgrade to a OFR of of ebay for like $50), 2)late 80's white Ibanez RG550 for $500 CAN. 3) Jackson DX10D with Dimarzio evolution 2 pickups for $550 CAN. 4) a red Ibanez RGT42FM for $500 CAN.

fat chance...

Anyways, if the RG550 is in good shape I would go with that.
Quote by T!AN
fat chance...

fat chance of what.... finding a OFR for $50 or getting it on the guitar?? i looked it up and everyone says that an Floyd Rose Original or a Pro fitts perfectly. i dont know that from personal experience tho so i dont know.
Quote by stefan.416
fat chance of what.... finding a OFR for $50 or getting it on the guitar?? i looked it up and everyone says that an Floyd Rose Original or a Pro fitts perfectly. i dont know that from personal experience tho so i dont know.

Idk about the fitting as I've never closely looked at a Pro, but I think 50 bucks is a bit of a low ball. A replacement LFR is a good $75.
Lo TRS doesn't fit with OFR I think. I'd go with the RGT since it's a good thru-neck.
No man is your friend, no man is your enemy, but every man is your teacher.

When he asked for John Myung, John Myung said:"Who the hell is John Myung?"

Proud User of Ibanez, Korg, Rocktron, ENGL
Does the jackson have a trem or fixed bridge? either way, I'd get the jackson over an Ibanez any day.
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

"The power of the riff compels me"
Bury Me In Smoke
I would go with the 550, i have one similiar and its a really nice guitar. Plus they usually have the first edge trems in them. Which i've heard is just as good if not better then the OFR.. And looking at it the thing is built like a tank..
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Mar 18, 2008,
Quote by T!AN
Fat chance at finding an OFR for $50. Like edusty2010 said a decent LFR is at least $75...

ok yeah but beside the point of how much it cost i would replace whats in it now in a few months or so.
Well how much it cost is important because a real OFR runs about $180, which means you'd be spending nearly $700 for a sad excuse of a JEM.
Quote by T!AN
Well how much it cost is important because a real OFR runs about $180, which means you'd be spending nearly $700 for a sad excuse of a JEM.

ok which guitar would you recommend then?
^ From my first post...

Quote by T!AN

Solid prestige quality with a solid tremolo. Plus it's a real 80's guitar which is plus considering the 80's nostalgia thats popping up everywhere...
Quote by T!AN
^ From my first post...

Solid prestige quality with a solid tremolo. Plus it's a real 80's guitar which is plus considering the 80's nostalgia thats popping up everywhere...

well heres a few pics of it.
Attachments:
533e_20.JPG
535e_20.JPG
5352_20.JPG
Let me put it this way, if I were guitar shopping I would be all over that. The black and white is classy and that maple neck looks like pure sex...

Seriously, with that you would be a can of paint, some tape for stenciling, and a little patience away from a PGM...
i know what you mean but wouldnt a JEM555 with a Floyd rose Original be better than the 80's RG550? i thank you for all your feedback. if anyone else has any input i would greatly appreciate it b/c im in over my head with choosing a guitar here as i have only been playing guitar for a few months.
No it wouldn't because the JEM555 was the cheap export version of the JEM that Ibanez started making to compete with all the counterfeits that were coming out at the time. Seriously this is what is says on jemsite.com in the buying guide....

Quote by jemsite.com
Used pricing:

* don't buy one there is no reasonable price to pay for this guitar.
* If you must, offer $300 or buy a RG550 or better.
As great as they are, I wouldn't want a jem simply based on the "glow in the dark" crap. Just opinion. Some think the original Edge trem was just as good, some say better than an OFR. The Gem got the Edge 7 I believe, but I am not sure if the earliest Gems got them, don't think so actually. I never should have gotten rid of my 550, *facepalm* *facepalm* *facepalm* *facepalm* *facepalm* *facepalm* Ouch, I deserved that...

Get my point?
RG550 is the best out of the three by far

Line 6 Spider Valve 212

Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Quote by T!AN
No it wouldn't because the JEM555 was the cheap export version of the JEM that Ibanez started making to compete with all the counterfeits that were coming out at the time. Seriously this is what is says on jemsite.com in the buying guide....

The Jem 555 was created as a more affordable Jem that was shuned by Jem fans for its quality. The Jem 333 was created in response the counterfeit Jems in the Asian markets.

Line 6 Spider Valve 212

Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah