I've been looking to buy an OLP bass, because I can't afford a Music Man.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/OLP-MM2-4-String-Bass-Guitar-102468816-i1148911.gc
Something like that, but I don't like the colors and the reviews aren't making me comfortable.
Does anyone know where they have different ones somewhere?

Also, does anyone have one? Is it worth it?

I'm currently playing on a Squier Vintage Modified precision bass.
I like Fall Out Boy.
That is all.
i have doubts about any imitation stuff. Also Ernie ball is stopping or terminated the contract they had with olp.
A squier (a fake kender) costs around 200-250 and a real fender is 500. i would wait untill i saved more money.

The OLP are probably ok for starters but eventualy you will want a "real" bass.
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
Quote by Deliriumbassist
^ really? I thought OLPs were really really good, and the fact that Tony Levin has a sig OLP kinda adds a bit of "ooooh, I say" to them.

Yeah a custom one and who is to say that tony was paid big bucks to promote the OLP brand. Also what is left of a standerd OLP on that signature?
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
well i like my five string (i got it really cheap)... however buying an olp as an upgrade would be more of a sidegrade than upgrade
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Quote by Deliriumbassist
^ really? I thought OLPs were really really good, and the fact that Tony Levin has a sig OLP kinda adds a bit of "ooooh, I say" to them.

Well, they're the only budget Musicman bass, so that might be the "oh" factor. However, from what I've heard they aren't amazing quality, and probably no better than the Squier VM. What can you expect for $200 though?
Quote by Mescalino
Yeah a custom one and who is to say that tony was paid big bucks to promote the OLP brand. Also what is left of a standerd OLP on that signature?

If I had the magazine with it in to hand I'd ream stuff out, but I don't. But from what I remember, it was given a rather high score by Bass Player magazine.

And it isn't a custom one per se, it's an "off-the-shelf" line, is it not? Anyways, Levin seems like a stand-up guy that would make sure that the copy of his bass was as good as it could be for the target price.

EDIT: Hell, the Tony Levin sig is the 2nd cheapest 5er they do. If Levin was being paid "big bucks" to endorse it, surely they'd knock it way up in price?
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at Mar 18, 2008,
Quote by latinosuperstud
well i like my five string (i got it really cheap)... however buying an olp as an upgrade would be more of a sidegrade than upgrade

I agree. I have played OLPs, SUBs and own a Stingray. If you wanted a MM but couldn't afford one, I'd start looking for an SUB. Yes, they've been discontinued by EB but they show up on Craigslist and Ebay and I have seen several in local shops. SUBs are not as good as MM, but they are closer in quality than your typical OLP.

Now, I heard that OLP had lost the contract and that EB was pulling in the forces and going the Ric route of extremely exclusiveness. But someone else said that they are renewing with another company; anyone know what is up with that?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
If I had the magazine with it in to hand I'd ream stuff out, but I don't. But from what I remember, it was given a rather high score by Bass Player magazine.

And it isn't a custom one per se, it's an "off-the-shelf" line, is it not? Anyways, Levin seems like a stand-up guy that would make sure that the copy of his bass was as good as it could be for the target price.

EDIT: Hell, the Tony Levin sig is the 2nd cheapest 5er they do. If Levin was being paid "big bucks" to endorse it, surely they'd knock it way up in price?

You have a point there but lets face it. You go to a store and you can buy a Squier J for 500 bucks next to it stands a fender J for also 500 bucks. Which one will you buy?
Simple i think.

OLP is a cheap brand they make populair looking bass for a reasonable prize.
Still i think the reason they contacted tony is to see if they could develop a signature bass for a reasonable price most signature bass i have seen are all around 1000 bucks or up. So it probably is exactly like you say:" as good as it gets for the target price".
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
Quote by Mescalino
You have a point there but lets face it. You go to a store and you can buy a Squier J for 500 bucks next to it stands a fender J for also 500 bucks. Which one will you buy?
Simple i think.

I really don't see how that relates at all. It's not like the TS has seen an OLP and a MM at $500 in the same shop.

Or maybe it's just the 2 am mind blank.
About knocking the price up. If they made the OLP close to what a real MM would cost nobody would buy the OLP and went for the real deal.
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
Quote by Mescalino
Simple i think.

OLP is a cheap brand they make populair looking bass for a reasonable prize.
Still i think the reason they contacted tony is to see if they could develop a signature bass for a reasonable price most signature bass i have seen are all around 1000 bucks or up. So it probably is exactly like you say:" as good as it gets for the target price".

What sig basses have you been looking at? There are a variety of sigs at many prices. Squire offers many <$300 sigs, same as well for Epiphone, and Spector has a $800 sig.

As for OLP, as far as low-range basses go, it is very good. Not as good as a MM, granted, but very good considering it's competition. I would gladly buy it as an upgrade over a Squier, Epiphone, Yamaha, or Washburn. It is, in my opinion, the best starter bass on the market.

As for the TS, Squier's VM series is easily the best quality instrument you can buy from them, and you are looking at the lowest series of OLP, so low that it is in fact a downgrade.

If you want to stick with OLP, I reccomend this. It is a great mid-range instrument, and a healthy upgrade over your Squier. (And better looking, to boot.)
http://www.guitarcenter.com/OLP-MM22-Electric-Bass-Guitar-514205-i1321975.gc

I must note that a dislike the term "imitation stuff". Squier is the child company of Fender. That means it can be considered a cheaper and slightly less quality Fender. Rondomusic's SX brand is an imitation brand, and the quality shows. Badly.

in short, imitation brand=/=child company
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Nobody is going to pay over $400 for a bass that has an imitation flame maple top and 3 piece basswood body (in the case of the one I owned).

OLP makes some "tiers" of their Stingray clones - there are active ones that do get a bit of that froggy tone, but their passive ones don't sound like them at all.

Oh, and do NOT put heavy gauge strings on that neck. It's as floppy as I've ever seen. Mine would go sharp or flat depending on how I was sitting as the actual weight of the headstock would cause the neck to bend! Mine was indeed a lemon, BUT the neck stability is the same on all of them.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I used to have th MM3 and mine was god aweful, out of the box the neck was bent, the pickup wasn't screwed down and some of the frets were slightly raised, which caused the 4th and 6th frets on most of the strings to be basically un useable. I also found the sound on the pickup to lack balls, if that makes any sense.

On the other hand some people really like them, so I guess the moral of the story is try it out before you buy it. Although I wouldn't reccomend buying one as the bass you have now is a better bass so you'd be down grading
I own a Squier Affinity Series P Bass and a OLP MM2. In my opinion the OLP has a faster fretboard with better tone and sound. I like it more than the Squier. The only quality the Squier has going for it over the OLP is durability, but if you know how to tighten input jacks and can take care of a bass I think the OLP is a much better bass.

However, if you already own a Squier, I don't think an OLP is a big enough upgrade to justify spending $200-$300. If you're really that strapped for cash and need a new bass go for it. Otherwise I'd save a couple hundred more and get a real nice Ibanez.
i had a friend who had an OLP, seriously, worst bass I'd ever heard, god it sounded terrible
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.