Page 1 of 3
What do you guys think it means for someone to truly be a musical genius? I've seen a lot of theories, but I never could really come up with a definitive answer.
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
if their name is john petrucci
no other requirements really
Vikings? What Vikings? We are but poor, simple farmers. The village was burning when we got here, and the people must have slain themselves.
Dang. I was ready for some action packed youtube video featuring a 4 year old asian guy with a guitar...not this time, eh?
I think it's subjective. To me Steven Wilson and Michael Akerfeldt are musical geniuses because their music completely captivates the essence of my being. To some poor souls Fiddy Cent is a musical genius.
Quote by CLVPX
Wow, SkyValley = Epic win.
Quote by Anarion614
That's because there is no definitive answer.

This.

Please don't try to call Kurt Cobain one, though.
Being able to make intelligent music that is great beyond argument?

You might not like x brand of music but still recognise the genius in it.
I've heard some people say that the definitive quality of a music genius is the ability to keep multiple melodies in your head at the same time. Which gives me an idea...see how many simple melodies you can listen to at the same time in your head.

P.S some people is wikipedia.
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
Anybody who makes amazing sounding music. They don't have to be technically skilled or anything, just make great creative music.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Someone who can write the perfect song, whether you can play 4,000 arpeggios in 3.17 seconds is irrelevant to genius IMO.
Quote by StreetLight3989
Anybody who makes amazing sounding music. They don't have to be technically skilled or anything, just make great creative music.

Depends what you mean by creative. I think this is an impossible thing to describe.
Jackson KVX10
Epiphone EB-3

Bugera 6260
Laney Supergroup Mk 1
Marshall VS100RH
Laney LX412A

Bad Monkey
Crybaby
Metal Muff
Fish N Chips
You have to be me in order to be a music genius.

Unfortunately for the rest of you, I'm the one and only me.
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
Quote by Tophue
If a bunch of music snobs like you

What the hell do you mean by IF a bunch of music slobs like you? IF what?
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
This.

Please don't try to call Kurt Cobain one, though.

Kurt Cobain is a TRUE musical genius
Quote by Anarion614
That's because there is no definitive answer.

that about sums up my opinion.
Quote by stringmagician
When they've mastered sound making so thoroughly that they can produce any feeling they choose.

Best answer I've seen. Here's to you!!
Needlenick wrote:

Dave Grohl has officially literally done everything.
Being able to hold more than one melody in your head at one time. People that can do that are people with high IQs.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
if their name is john petrucci

he's right
Quote by OzarkMDaredevil
Shit, this is pure win. You can have my interwebz, I was saving them for a rainy day.

^about my halloween costume
Quote by steee21
a sport

Quote by hriday_hazarika
Oh, so it's sorta like real-life gaming, then?
Quote by Glimsom
Depends what you mean by creative. I think this is an impossible thing to describe.

It just seems like you can feel it when someones truly creative.
Quote by scarfacesuit
Best answer I've seen. Here's to you!!

Thank you

funny story, a kid at my school was wearing a scarface suit today.
Quote by StreetLight3989
It just seems like you can feel it when someones truly creative.

Yeah, but a lot of things could be considered "creative". Playing a tune by farting is "creative". Using an F1 engine to play a song is "creative".
Jackson KVX10
Epiphone EB-3

Bugera 6260
Laney Supergroup Mk 1
Marshall VS100RH
Laney LX412A

Bad Monkey
Crybaby
Metal Muff
Fish N Chips
Quote by stringmagician
When they've mastered sound making so thoroughly that they can produce any feeling they choose.

I agree completely with this statement.
Quote by Cameronrobson
If a barn owl was fighting a tiger and flew away, it was just looking for a more awesome place to fight. This happens all the time on Dragon Ball Z.

Member 8 of "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club
Quote by Glimsom
Yeah, but a lot of things could be considered "creative". Playing a tune by farting is "creative". Using an F1 engine to play a song is "creative".

Yeah, but that seems like forced creativity. True creativity is not forced.
Well, subjectively being able to express your feelings in music to the listening pleasure of others would constitute musical genius.

Yes I'm trying to be smart today.
Quote by StreetLight3989
Yeah, but that seems like forced creativity. True creativity is not forced.

The sheer pretentiousness in that statement made me throw up a little.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
The sheer pretentiousness in that statement made me throw up a little.

That wasn't meant to be a pretentious statement. I just said true creativity seems like it doesn't have to be forced.
Quote by crustyreed
<<<<<<<< this guy is a total TRUE music genius.

Pssh, go be smelly somewhere else you damn crust punk.
Quote by Glimsom

If it was a statement on making something beautiful out of something ugly, I'd consider it brilliant. If they put a melody to it, and made it sound beautiful, anyway.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Mikael Akerfeldt, Karl Sanders and Dave Mustaine (his Metallica stuff, which was the BEST Metallica stuff, and his Megadeth stuff). That is what epitomizes a musical genius IMO.
Quote by -Collapse-
Oh, hello mister tracer! Lets dance!
Quote by CodySG
And we all poop in the sandwiches!

New Drug Chat, Eh? CLICK HERE

pass: misterhoffman
Quote by stringmagician
Thank you

funny story, a kid at my school was wearing a scarface suit today.

How ironic... Well, good thing I believe in the concepts of fate, otherwise I would find that really weird.
Needlenick wrote:

Dave Grohl has officially literally done everything.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Being able to hold more than one melody in your head at one time. People that can do that are people with high IQs.
They say Mozart could write down the music of one thing he was writing, while composing the music of another in his head.

Anyways, if I were to give an example, I would say Mozart's Reqiuem in D Minor. He builds up layers of music, and there are eventually, 7, I think, layers of music at once. I've looked at the sheet, and he gets the choir's to do the layers that make it sound very haunting and dissonant, and eventually he brings in the harmony.

I liked this video where he is composing the 7th movement. Of course it's not really him, but the movie didn't win the Oscar for best picture for nothing.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
If it was a statement on making something beautiful out of something ugly, I'd consider it brilliant. If they put a melody to it, and made it sound beautiful, anyway.

That is true and not everybody can pull that off successfully, that's why those who can are special.
IMO, someone who can write amazing music by themselves, that is more than just some chords and a brief solo.
People like Tuomas from Nightwish or Jari from Wintersun.
Quote by StrokeMidnight
I've heard some people say that the definitive quality of a music genius is the ability to keep multiple melodies in your head at the same time. Which gives me an idea...see how many simple melodies you can listen to at the same time in your head.

P.S some people is wikipedia.

.... multiple melodies? I can do that. there are a bunch of songs where I can hear in my head the bass and guitar parts (that have different melodies, not just the bass copying the guitar) at the same time, as well as the singing.

am i a musical genius now?
Page 1 of 3