I just cannot choose between the two. They both seem like awesome amps. It seems the XXX has more gain and has the ability to tighten up more. The F50 seems to have less gain, but its cleans are better. Some people said it was hard to get a good tone out of the F50. Now, to end my confusion, which would be better for me: a Mesa F50 or a Peavey XXX? I want good cleans, but I mostly play metal (Metallica + Pantera).
Last edited by neon10th at Mar 18, 2008,
How do you expect for us to tell you what amp would be better for you when we don't know what kind of gear you have or what kind of music you play?
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
if your looking for a good xxx im selling a perfect condition peavey xxx 212 120 watt combo.
It also takes lots of tweaking to get a good sound out of the triple xxx because of the active eq on the ultra channel. It would be easier to get good tone if they made it passive but then of course you wouldn't have as broad range of sounds.
The XXX has a more simplistic, tighter distortion, yes. However, the cleans are the tonal equivalent of a 90 year old with a vasectomy: weak, dried-up, and sterile. A lot of people use OD's to tighten Mesas up (I personally didn't like it when I tried to), but it's up to your preference. The F50 has plenty of gain, though; you can reach Metallica- esque levels by about 2 o'clock. Kirk Hammet also used Mesas almost exclusively in the 90's if that influences your decision at all. He's actually using an F50 in the Whiskey in the Jar video, if you look closely.
Quote by neon10th
Which one has a fatter, thicker, wider tone?

My d*ck.

The Mesa is miles better IMO.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by neon10th
Which one has a fatter, thicker, wider tone?

Fat, thick, and wide? Mesa, definitely. The XXX is more thin, crunchy, and agressive- sounding.
Can I get an aggressive sound out of the F50 with a bad monkey OD and an MXR M-108 EQ?
Last edited by neon10th at Mar 18, 2008,
yes you can. i have some clips in my profile and those are without an OD.
Quote by neon10th
Can I get an aggressive sound out of the F50 with a bad monkey OD and an MXR M-108 EQ?

honestly, you might not even need them to get the metallica/pantera sound. except it doesnt scoop the mids very well. which is GOOD! i tried it just out of curiosity, and there is a relatively large mid hump from what i can hear/my experience.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Is the bad monkey the best OD you can get at that price range?