Page 1 of 2
ok so im ready to start playing guitar all night and day and do what it takes to become better at any cost.

will someone give me some suggestions in how to start off?
Learn chords, learn scales learn song.

Just learn.

And practice. Practice, practice, practice.

Don't play so long either. I find you retain more information if you play for like an hour or so and take a break.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Here is the best advice:

Find a good instructor and take lessons.

Try to have fun, you will be bored and frustrated at times.

Don't learn to play guitar if you think you will be a star or to get chicks, doesn't work.

Practice wisely, not in some hap-hazzard method.

Plan on a year or two to become proficient.

Measure your progress in months and not weeks or days.

Good luck
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Just learn.

Don't play so long either. I find you retain more information if you play for like an hour or so and take a break.

Listen to Hatebreeder. He knows his stuff.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by siksofus

Don't learn to play guitar if you think you will be a star or to get chicks, doesn't work.

How come?
Hatebreeder know crap.

Learn chords? What does that mean?
Learn scales? What does that mean?
Learn songs? What does that mean?

That is like teaching someone how to use a computer to turn the button on.

Trust me, follow my advice. I am 49 and not a kid.
Quote by Roookie
How come?

Because after playing for months and months you will most likely still blow, won't be a star, and only bag the retards who think it's impressive that you even own a guitar, and therefore you'll be frustrated and give up.

If it's not intrinsic, don't waste your money and time.
Quote by siksofus
Hatebreeder know crap.

It means 'learn chords' http://www.chordbook.com/guitarchords.php, 'learn scales' http://www.chordbook.com/guitarscales.php and 'learn songs' http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/. You should be able to read, you're 49 right?

He doesn't need training wheels you know? That's what I did. I didn't have somebody holding my hand through it. I just learned by picking up some books and learning by ear.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Mar 19, 2008,
just get some easy songs to start off ~ try and get them with the same chords and that will help you to learn them off. dont try to go too fancy at the beginning, start simple, and them show people what you're made of
I can read, too bad you cant write. This is what you wrote: You must have wrote some of it in invisible ink.

Just learn.

Post a video so we can see how great you are.

Listen Drop, follow my advice.
Better yet ask a book a question or have a book demontrate for you.

Remember, dont listen to anyone who has multiple sigs. This is a true sign they know crap.
Last edited by siksofus at Mar 19, 2008,
Quote by siksofus
I can read, too bad you cant write. This is what you wrote: You must have wrote some of it in invisible ink.

Just learn.

Remember, dont listen to anyone who has multiple sigs. This is a true sign they know crap.

At least I can spell 'can't'.

Let's see yours gramps. I'm open to challenges.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
My apologies, I see you are from Canada. I should not poke fun at the handicapped.
Quote by siksofus
My apologies, is see you are from Canada. I should not poke fun at the handicapped.

Who's 'Is See'?

if you meant 'I see' then read on.

I'm sorry too, I shouldn't have irked the senile either.

Quote by ArCanadh
ROFLMAO
is there any particular reason that u guys are fighting or is it just something that you drank?!?

Besides blatantly insulting me, nothing I suppose.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Mar 19, 2008,
ROFLMAO
is there any particular reason that u guys are fighting or is it just something that you drank?!?
Quote by siksofus
Now I am just bored at being bored. The BAW thing.

It must be a mid life crisis thing.

I'm just kidding. I totally love you man, for busting my chops like that for no reason.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Get a guitar teacher. Simply.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Quote by siksofus
Hatebreeder know crap.

O RLY?

Quote by siksofus
Learning guitar is going to be boring at time when you are learning. Practice scales, chords, finger picking, chicken picking, etc.

You Tube has got a lot of good lessons.

If you use Firefox there is a plugin that you can download that will pull the video out as an .flv file.
You will need a converter. I use avs4you. The demo version will create a watermark. or for $30 you can have the registered version, good for 1 year or $70 lifetime. This licsene is good for their whole software catalog.

After I convert, I put them on DVD, I use the DVD Maker w/Vista. Then I play them on my tv.

Good lesson sites are Justin Sandacore and Rock on Good People. Search You Tube for "guitar lesson"

Good luck

you can shut up now
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
BAW = Bored at Work.

I think the point is being made by both of us, is that it take time to learn to play.

Hopfully my guitar playing will help encourage my 12yr old daughter to start playing more.

Take care all, been fun.
siksofus get off the internet and go play bingo or something more appropriate to your age instead of sitting about on the internet picking on people that are just trying to help.
Quote by siksofus

Just learn.

OI! im not finished

there are several in his profile

so you can watch yourself being owned
Quote by siksofus
BAW = Bored at Work.

I think the point is being made by both of us, is that it take time to learn to play.

Hopfully my guitar playing will help encourage my 12yr old daughter to start playing more.

Take care all, been fun.

if you want her to play, just try and find some catchy songs, im round her age and if i hear a good song that i think i can play ~ i'l try it! it gives me good pratice and its great craic tryin to figure it out!!!
Not picking on anyone, H4T3BR33D3R and I are just poking fun at each other.

To all you who think I am an a**, read my first post and tell me where I am wrong.
It is all good sound advice.
Quote by siksofus

To all you who think I am an a**, read my first post and tell me where I am wrong.

It is good advice!
Quote by siksofus

Well we're poking fun now but I'd have to say your initial post wasn't really poking fun at me. It was more of an insult then anything.

But whatever, I'm fine with it.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by siksofus
Hatebreeder know crap.

When people want to be respected and have their advice followed, they tend to act their age and not like the kid you're so adamant you are not. You may not be a child in body, but in mind it is questionable.

H4T3BR33D3R made a valid point. That's the advice that I would give to anyone who wanted to learn to play the guitar. Those are the first steps - just like pressing the button to turn on a computer (and trust me, as someone who has had to teach people, this is a very important step). Why is it that people cannot point out something they feel could be improved on in a positive manner rather than acting a bit arsey about it? If someone is giving advice (and good advice at that) then why be so negative?

To the thread starter, a good idea, as already mentioned, is to get lessons from a good teacher. Lessons can be invaluable as you can make a lot more progress in one lesson than a few weeks looking solely at books and tablature. Of course, their effectiveness once your playing advances may not be such an advantage over other options when you factor in cost.

Some books and internet sites can also be good, so trying a few of those might be worth it. I don't have any names or links, but a quick Google search or a look at Amazon (make sure to read the customer reviews) can solve that one easily enough.

And good luck!
Last edited by Denthúl at Mar 19, 2008,
Quote by siksofus
Hatebreeder know crap. blatant insult

Learn chords? What does that mean? \
Learn scales? What does that mean? nonsensical rubbish
Learn songs? What does that mean? /

That is like teaching someone how to use a computer to turn the button on. what?

Trust me, follow my advice you didnt actually give any advice. I am 49 so? and not a kid. stop acting like one then

k?
Quote by siksofus
My apologies.

No worries.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
For those of you who did not read the entire thread, here was my first post: I am very open to criticism. Please tell me where I am wrong.

My apolgies to H4T3BR33D3R.

Here is the best advice:

Find a good instructor and take lessons.

Try to have fun, you will be bored and frustrated at times.

Practice wisely, not in some hap-hazzard method.

Plan on a year or two to become proficient.

Measure your progress in months and not weeks or days.

Good luck

purely learning songs i liked and chords got me off to a great start. i did get lessons after a while though
Quote by siksofus
Hatebreeder know crap.

It means those are the areas he is suggesting the person works on.

You may be 49, but that doesn't mean you're worth listening to...
Quote by guitarcrazy1991
It means those are the areas he is suggesting the person works on.

You may be 49, but that doesn't mean you're worth listening to...

dude, the argument's finished
wow i just wasted 5 minutes of my life reading that when u both had good advice lol.

Anyways i would get started before anything learn a couple easy riffs like smoke on the water and ironman with just single notes on the 6 string thatt'll just get you used to the guitar. After that you can try some open position chords E,A ,D ,C ,G, F ,Am, Em ,Dm. That should keep you busy for a little while then Once youve got that stuff down try bar chords, and the pentatonic scale.
Quote by Mackawade
i was wondering what is some of the stuff you guys would consider better than WOW

Quote by last-1s-out
Getting kicked in the balls repeatedly

Primus Sucks
siksofus...GO TO ****ING HELL YOU DOUCH IM FROM CANADA GREATEST COUNTRY EVER! GUESS WHAT ASS HOLE MY DOLLAR IS MORE THAN A ****ING CANADIAN TIRE 50 CENTS SO **** YOU MAN,**** YOU
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Guitar & Bass Basics forum = the new pit
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
1. Keep it fun. The vast majority of people who start the guitar, quit out of flustration and boredom. Learn the styles you want to play and practice in a way that builds strength and accuracy to curb flustration.

2. Set goals. There are skills that benefit all styles of playing and some that benefit a particular style of guitar playing. So learn the basics (chords, scales, rhythm) but start thinking of the next step beyond that. Like hammer-ons and pull-offs for shred, finger picking for classical, and theory for writing music.
Page 1 of 2