Page 1 of 2
Quote by RedDeath9
Divinecrossfire...

Epic post. Wish I could say more, but I don't know much about the subconscious and other psychological stuff.
Bolt-on necks aren't bad.
And why the hell were you looking at buying a Warrior. Those are almost as ugly as a BC Rich.
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

"The power of the riff compels me"
Bury Me In Smoke
I'm with him... Had way to many issues with my bolt on. Had to tighten the bolts once a week and shim the neck... Since i got my neck thru ESP I will never go back to bolt on...Unless its a American strat then im kind of SOL... lol
my dk2m plays better than the ibanez prestige guitars i have played.
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Jackson DK2M with tonezone
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10
Quote by Flying Afros
And why the hell were you looking at buying a Warrior. Those are almost as ugly as a BC Rich.

STFU the warrior is one of the coolest guitars you can buy.
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10
Quote by Flying Afros
Bolt-on necks aren't bad.

im not looking at buying a warrior, using that as another example, im mainly looking at kelly and rhoads

and dont bolt on necks screw with your tone and sustain?
Quote by RedDeath9
Divinecrossfire...

Epic post. Wish I could say more, but I don't know much about the subconscious and other psychological stuff.
look at the epiphone prophecy futuras if you don't like the bolt on necks. its the z shape w/ emg 85/81's and has 24 frets and a floyd rose...
don't worry, my jackson sustains fine
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10
man bolt-ons are nuts, i find them easy as your mother to play
neckthrus do have better tone though, in my opinion
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
Quote by divinecrossfire
and dont bolt on necks screw with your tone and sustain?

Cheap bolt-on necks yes. At a certain price points point it starts becoming a none issue. Yes there is a very slight difference (you probably won't even notice), but it's not nearly as pronounced as a lot of people exaggerate it to be. If all guitars were doomed to be absolutely terrible if they had bolt on necks, do you think companies like Caparison would use them?

And to the guy saying that he had to tighten the neck bolts on his guitar once a week, I call BS, unless you were using some unbelievebly crappy guitar.
There's nothing wrong with bolt-on. Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai and Joe Satriani all prefer to play on bolt-on.
I used to think bolt-on was crap, but I like them now. Especially the Ibanez bolt-ons...Man..they are perfect!
looking through that list, i don't know much about jacksons, but jesus christ, a grand for alder,standard rosewood, normal duncuns, a LICENSED floyd and a bolt-on.

is it just me, or do they overcharge a bit? fuck knows what ESP could hook you up with for that.
^ The $300 skull paint job isn't mandatory you know...

EDit:...
Last edited by T!AN at Mar 18, 2008,
the neck is why it is so expensive sometimes. it is patented because it allows for easy rythm and smooth soloing. you will never play another neck like it. also there is not a single thing wrong with a bolt-on. you are just a person who lives and dies buy esp and other jackson copiers who put a bunch of cool things on their guitars but are poorly built. also jackson's are made for lead which is why it is made out of alder, it gives a brighter tone than mahagony(sp) which is what esp's and such are made out of.
Quote by glowskulls
looking through that list, i don't know much about jacksons, but jesus christ, a grand for alder,standard rosewood, normal duncuns, a LICENSED floyd and a bolt-on.

is it just me, or do they overcharge a bit? fuck knows what ESP could hook you up with for that.

Um yeah....I guess you decided not to check at the nearly $300 paint jobs on the ones that are $1000. And you're right, you know nothing of Jacksons, so never insult them!
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

"The power of the riff compels me"
Bury Me In Smoke
Part of why Jacksons cost more is they are made in Japan in a shop by people who care what they are putting out and they tend to have higher quality woods and QC, not like the stuff sweat shop in Korea.
Nothing wrong with bolt ons. I call BS also on the guy saying he has to tighten his once a week and personally I'd rather go with a bolt on then a neck thru but thats my own personal taste. You can easily swap necks, especially if you break something on it and almost all neck thru's I've seen have painted necks which I do not like.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Jackson necks are perfect and my rr3 sustains just fine. but the higher fret access is pretty dodgy.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by T!AN
Cheap bolt-on necks yes. At a certain price points point it starts becoming a none issue. Yes there is a very slight difference (you probably won't even notice), but it's not nearly as pronounced as a lot of people exaggerate it to be. If all guitars were doomed to be absolutely terrible if they had bolt on necks, do you think companies like Caparison would use them?

And to the guy saying that he had to tighten the neck bolts on his guitar once a week, I call BS, unless you were using some unbelievebly crappy guitar.

yea there is a slight difference but its not that bad. i dont think i even notice one unless its a crap guitar. plus i mean, eric johnson uses a bolt on neck. and he's a tone freak. they must not be that bad. plus, if something goes wrong with the neck like it breaks, warps, etc... you can just get a new one. if its a set neck, you just lost a guitar.
^ You bring up a good point. I think from now on when someone starts complaining about bolt-on necks I'm just going to post "Eric Johnson" and nothing else....
Don't worry about the bolt-on neck thing. In the real world it only really affects sustain (only slightly) and upper-fretboard access. Sure, a neck-thru looks nicer on paper, but the real world story can be quite different.

Just remember that a Jackson neck isn't really like any other neck out there, they have their own feel, nothing I've played is even close. I'd take a bolt-on Jackson over pretty much everything (other than a neck-thru Jackson).

The skinny on Jackson being expensive is that they are quality, great playing guitars, not some piece of junk thrown together by a company that doesn't give a crap. I've never met anyone that has not liked a Jackson, I don't think I've even heard of one. I've never second guessed buying my Jackson, it simply works.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
I'm proud of my Jackson Warrior. It's my fav guitar of all the ones i've played. I cannot tell a difference between set and bolt on. My best guitar bud hates bolt ons, but I've yet to find a problem. They have actually helped me. My strap came off and my guitar took a header. All I had to do was get the bolts readjusted versus buying a new guitar.

..............well maybe I liked my friends PRS Custom just a little better ehhehe.
Peavey VK112
Fish&Chips EQ
Ibanez TS9DX
Jackson Warrior JS30 upgraded EMG 81/85
Epiphone Silverburst 1966 Reissue G-400
Washburn D12N

Playing since 03-11-07
........Uber Noob Skillz
Neck thru player reporting in. I did notice a pretty evident increase in sustain when I got my new guitar 2 years ago (see profile for guitar pr0nz), but as far as some giant increase in tonal quality when going from bolt-on to neck-thru joints, it was pretty well non existant. It was when I upgraded my pickups and amp that I really noticed a difference in my tone
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Quote by Slayer566
STFU the warrior is one of the coolest guitars you can buy.

Agreed. I sold my Les Paul to get this one:

Quote by 4regt4
Agreed. I sold my Les Paul to get this one:

ROCK ON!

I've seen that guitar on Musiciansfriend.com and just drooled. Grats on the Freaking killer axe!
Peavey VK112
Fish&Chips EQ
Ibanez TS9DX
Jackson Warrior JS30 upgraded EMG 81/85
Epiphone Silverburst 1966 Reissue G-400
Washburn D12N

Playing since 03-11-07
........Uber Noob Skillz
Quote by jewbaby667
ROCK ON!

I've seen that guitar on Musiciansfriend.com and just drooled. Grats on the Freaking killer axe!

Thanks. I particularly like the paintjob that was on this exact one. Only one I've ever seen from any pic online that has the drips off the pickup rings and floyd. It also plays much better than the Les Paul I sold and has easy access to all 24 frets (so no regrets).
thats a ****ing beastly thing there 4regt4. beautiful axe
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by glowskulls

the paintjob you idiot

and i would never hesitate to buy another jackson for the pure reason that they are are quality instruments...

a lot of lower end models for the other companies are true pieces of junk that may "look cool" but play like ****, and sound even worse.
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
Last edited by nvranka at Mar 19, 2008,
I love bolt-necks since they can be replaced if they break instead of buying a new guitar every time a neck breaks.

Plus all the guitars that i have owned had or have bolt on necks. the only exemtions are the Jackson SL2H, B.C. Rich KKV, and the Jackson KE2.
Ibanez RG1570
B.C. Rich KKV
Jackson RR3
Jackson RR5
Ibanez S320
Ibanez S520EX
Vox AD50VT-XL
Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wah
Marshall 2203KK
Marshall 1960A 4x12 Cab
Boss ML-2 Metalcore
Coffin Case Blooddrive
The problem with the bolt-on Jacksons is the upper fret access. Guitars made by Ibanez have an all access neck joint that is rounded and comfortable unlike Jackson's blocky joint. I tried out a KE3 at a store in Birmingham (Bolt-on with 24 frets) and I found the upper fret access totally uncomfortable.
My Gear:
Jackson JS20 Dinky
Line6 Spider II 30w ( )
Dunlop Dime Crybaby From Hell ( )
That warrior is a work of art
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
I like bolt-on guitars that have a neck joint like this one.

My Gear:
Jackson JS20 Dinky
Line6 Spider II 30w ( )
Dunlop Dime Crybaby From Hell ( )
Vlad89 - Jackson' s have a similar neck joint to the one you pictured....

Don't compare your JS series to the Japanese or US made kit cos there is no comparison!
I love Jackson with all my heart but I really really hate their bolt on models. They could have at least sculpted the heel or did something like the picture above, but they didn't. There's just a giant block that makes it harder to reach the higher frets. I have huge problems with it while standing up on my KE3 and it's especially bad when you're playing live (unless you want to hold the guitar above your waist......). But the quality of the Jackson is superb and while they seem very expensive, all of them (except JS series and USA ones) are made in their factory in Japan.
I've never had trouble reaching the higher frets with bolt-ons. Maybe you sling your guitar too low. I can go sweeping up to the 21st fret on my 22-fret JS30 just fine. For normal playing it's even less of a problem.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by Dudage
Neck thru player reporting in. I did notice a pretty evident increase in sustain when I got my new guitar 2 years ago (see profile for guitar pr0nz), but as far as some giant increase in tonal quality when going from bolt-on to neck-thru joints, it was pretty well non existant. It was when I upgraded my pickups and amp that I really noticed a difference in my tone

Agreed. I did see a huge difference in sustain with my Rhoads Pro Vs. my DKMG. If you were to strum a full open E minor chord with my Rhoads, you would still feel the entire guitar shaking after 20 seconds. Harmonics are endless, as well as single notes. If you were to try that with my DKMG, the time is cut in half for strumming a full chord. Harmonics and single notes don't last nearly as long either.

BUT! I worry about my Rhoads all the time. If the neck gets messed up, then the entire guitar is messed up, whereas with a bolt-on, if the neck gets messed up, you can change it out.
Page 1 of 2