Hey ive been playing bass for about 5 years and want to get a new bass. I currently have a peavy milestone 2. I don't want to spend much money around $400. i use bass mainly for practice but occasionally a few jams with my brothers. I play a wide variety of music and was looking at the Fender deluxe P Bass Special but im open to any suggestions.
a wide variety of music then get a Jazz. More versitile then the P IMHO.
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
Look into some Schecters, though unfortunately there aren't many quite in that price range. The J-bass may be your best bet here, but you should try a couple Schecters just in case. (*gasp* Did the Schecterman actually say that?!)
Now introducing: thefitz: thegame. It's what all the cool kids are playing!

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
hmm

well, you play a Milestone, like I used to, so yeah, Jazz is the way forward, sounds like the Milestone only about 100times better, well, depends if its American or Mexican...

with your budget probably have to go Mexican, or maybe used?

Mexicans maybe sounds 25 times better... Americans 100

I don't like Mexican Fenders tbh...Japensese yes, American yes, Mexican no

then again, they are all fenders, just, there's something about Mexican ones that unnerve me, they feel....odd

anyways, thats enough ramblings, if you like the Milestone sound, but want it better, go for a Fender Jazz

P-basses arn't very versatile, they just fit most styles, a jack of all trades as it were, and slapping on a Jazz sounds uber cool
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
whats the difference between mexican american and japanese made fenders and how can i tel which one im getting? thanks for the help
Quote by TheProdigy
whats the difference between mexican american and japanese made fenders and how can i tel which one im getting? thanks for the help

Pretty much everything. Better feel, better sound, better finish. Plus most Americans have an American flag on the pickguard. And somewhere on the headstock it will tell you.
Quote by bouasonemonty
Got an Ibanez Bass...Love it...

i got one and i hate it.

To the previous poster it's hard to tell from the info they give you but judging from the price i say its a mexican. Could be wrong though.
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
If my memory serves me correctly, the Milestone has a P-pup right?

And, if that be the case and you like the punchy tone then the P-bass Deluxe is the way to go.

But it you don't like it and if your looking for something different I would consider the Fender Jazz.

If you looking for something more different, I would check some Ibanez's.
Quote by TheProdigy

Yes. The way to tell really is simply that a "Standard" Fender bass is Mexican made, "American" is, obviously, American, and random other ones are at times American, other times Mexican, and occasionally Japanese. It usually tells you in the description for those (the Geddy Lee sig is Japanese for example, and I believe, but don't quote me on this, that it says so in its description.

But yeah, Jazz is probably the way to go, but make sure you try it first. Play a jazz, a precision, and basically anything else you can get your hands on. The jazz would just be the best place for you to start, not necessarily the best bass for you to get.
Now introducing: thefitz: thegame. It's what all the cool kids are playing!

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
has anyone here played the highway one? if so how is it different from the american standard?
I agree, Peavey are the best for first or second bass guitars. I would buy one. But i havnlt got the doe. Damn work...
Quote by TheProdigy
has anyone here played the highway one? if so how is it different from the american standard?

Americans have graphite truss rods (or something like that, I'm not real sure).

The Highway ones do have BadAssII bridges though.