How much do stores round where you live charge for a full set up?
I asked at Long and McQuade (i live in ottawa) and they charge $60 for a les paul style guitar.
Is this too much?
that is a little much. the store by my house charges $50 for a floyd rose style guitar.
imo yes. but they usually seem to be over priced. the place near me i think is like 45 bucks. less than 60 but still, it seems a bit much. i set up all of my guitar myself and i dont think its worth that much money at all. but if you dont know what to do, then you should probably get it done by someone who does. which unfortunatly means spending money.
Dude, go out to International Musicland in Barhaven (sp?)[west end of Ottawa]. I got a guitar with a FR set-up (usually a more expensive job), new strings, and a volume pot replacement for $60. It was fast, and a great price, if you aren't too far away.
Member Of Jackson/Charvel Owners Group
Last edited by Blackballed at Mar 18, 2008,
guy charged me 25 at my local store
"You've got to trust your instinct
And let go of regret
You've got to bet on yourself now star
'Cause that's your best bet" - 311
The only reason i wanna a set up is cuz i'm afraid of messing up my neck, i can setup intonation and action pretty well.
Its just the neck relief thing that gets me, i don't get it at all.

EDIT:
Quote by Blackballed
Dude, go out to International Musicland in Barhaven (sp?). I got a guitar with a FR set-up (usually a more expensive job), new strings, and a volume pot replacement for $60. It was fast, and a great price, if you aren't too far away.

Barhaven eh? that's like 45 minutes out...i bet i can get out there if i tried..i just don't wanna lug my guitar all the way out there
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
why though? that seems a bit much. what exactly do you do for that money?

Well imagine how much time it takes to do a set-up. He has to charge enough to make up for the lost profitability of the work he could have done otherwise.

Edit: Also, 45 minutes of driving's worth of gas plus another forty-five minutes back probably costs enough to more or less negate the amount you save driving all the way there.
Epiphone Riviera Jorma Kaukonen Deluxe
Orange Tiny Terror with a Mesa 2x12 Lone Star
Boss PH-3
Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss DD-20
Fender Deluxe Mexi-Jazz
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
why though? that seems a bit much. what exactly do you do for that money?

Theres actually quite a bit of stuff that i do.

Install new strings and stretch them.
Adjust truss rod
Adjust Intonation
Adjust action (Per factory specs or Customers prefrence)
Adjust Pick up height (Per factory specs or sweet spot if the customer allows)
Clean and condition fret board
Tighten tuner nuts (there usually always loose)
Lube bridge saddles and nut
Tune guitar to customers requested tuning

Inspect guitar and write down a list of stuff needed to be replaced or fixed
example (bad pots, nut, tuners )

I do admit i go a little bit above and beyond the normal stuff. Also the customers love my work and they usually have me setup all there gear after the first inital guitar and never complain about the price.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Mar 19, 2008,
$20, for $60 I can get a set up and a full fret dress.

Although honestly, it's not very hard to set the guitar up yourself, the onl.y thing I take mine to the shop for is fret dressing.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Mar 19, 2008,
$30 + strings at my local shop. This includes neck adjustment, string height, fret and nut lube + new strings.
Ovation Celebrity
Schecter C-1 Classic
Peavey Valve King 112
Quote by Calgone
Well imagine how much time it takes to do a set-up. He has to charge enough to make up for the lost profitability of the work he could have done otherwise.

Edit: Also, 45 minutes of driving's worth of gas plus another forty-five minutes back probably costs enough to more or less negate the amount you save driving all the way there.

Yup, and your remarkably close on the driving time lol for a second there i thought you might know me...

It takes me 30 minutes to get to the shop and i also have to pay 2 tolls up and 2 tolls back. So 60 minutes of driving just to pickup the guitar and then 60 minutes for the drop off plus the tolls. And i can generally make 60 bucks an hour doing other stuff like repair work. So if a hardtail setup comes in im loosing 10 bucks right off the bat not counting the driving. I could charge more due to this but i dont. And the reason Floyds cost more is due to the time it takes to setup. Takes more time so i could be doing something else as stated. Normal setups take about an hour, floyds about an hour and a half. Some setups can take shorter but some can take longer, floyds especially. But if i go longer i dont charge the customer more that just comes out of my pocket because setups are a standard fee. Vs if an amp or repair takes longer i charge the customer because i work by the hour on repairs..
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Mar 19, 2008,