Hey everybody, I'm having trouble with my tremolo picking (alternate picking on one note really fast). Unfortunately I play thrash metal so this presents a huge problem lol. Any tips? I've been told to relax my hand, only use my wrist, don't have much of the pick sticking out, and angle the pick slightly outwards. I've been trying to do this but I can't seem to get this technique down.

Also, I use rather thick picks and strings (for my genre of music at least; I think). I use .11-.48 gauge ernie ball strings and .88mm Dunlop Tortex picks and I'm in standard tuning. I know lots of metal guitarist use .9's and thinner picks but do I really need to switch?!? Thicker strings/picks have more bass and a meatier sound and more importantly, I'm used to them. It should be about learning the technique not changing gear right? I should be able to tremolo pick with any gauge string or pick.
i use 9's and the same picks and can tremolo pretty good, it just takes practice.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
start slow and exponentially increase your speed until satisfaction. I use the word "exponentially" because i was taught it it math class, and this was the first time I could use it.
rofl
JordanFlayer uses:

Fender and Yamaha Guitars
Ernie Ball .11-.54 Strings
Marshall and Peavey Amps
MXR Pedals
Fender Medium Picks

Number 45 of the Iron Maiden are Gods club- 'PM Revelations to join

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/map /

Yeah I don't think it's the gear...I trem pick on 10-46 and 13-56 strings. Really it just takes practice. I don't know what else to tell you.
As simple of a technique it may seem it does take some work and refining to get sounding good.

Start slow of course and check your picking angle, you want the pick to be able to slide through the string and back on it with as little of motion as possible. Look at your hand as you play and try to make the motions as small and economical as possible.
Quote by JordanFlayer
start slow and exponentially increase your speed until satisfaction. I use the word "exponentially" because i was taught it it math class, and this was the first time I could use it.
rofl

exponentially is when it goes up really quick, so if you meant to say gradually, i think gradually would've worked better
GEAR
Ibanez GAX-70
Palomino v8
Crybaby 535q
Bad Monkey

Palomino
Id go up in pick size

Try a 1.5mm if your using 11's, that way when your picking back and fourth there won't be any pick drag over the string which will slow you down quite a bit.
I run 11-52's and can trem pick with no issues. My pick is medium, cant remember the exact size for some reason.

I would say practice is the best advice on this subject, or any technique for that matter. You can try different picks and you might find you actually prefer thinner ones once you get into more difficult playing, while some people like thicker ones as they get better. Technique is most important.
I'm using .11-.52s and my pick is a Jim Dunlop Nylon .60mm and I'm quite happy with my speed. But I think I'll move up to .73mm picks. The one I'm using is tiny bit too floppy.
Last edited by leephan at Mar 19, 2008,