I need examples of good solos that only have a lead playing, no rhythm. Im playing with my friend and our rhythm/bassist isnt coming to alot of practices, so i am trying to come up with something that sounds good just with drums backing.

Unfortunately, without the chords backing, it makes it alot harder to make a solo sound good. So far I ahve Van Halen as the only band i know that has to rhythm, can I get a few more if you guys can come up with a few off the top of your head?
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
red hot chili peppers

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

its hard so many bands that have one guitarist just record a rhythm
"You've got to trust your instinct
And let go of regret
You've got to bet on yourself now star
'Cause that's your best bet" - 311
get a looping station thing
Quote by its_alive
Lighten up.

The Pit>Professionals

Quote by meh!
Wow, the rape wagon. The wagon sounds like the best wagon in town
Certain Pantera songs don't have a backing guitar on the solos. Same thing with Black Sabbath.
Jackson DXMG (w/ Seymour Duncans- Jazz/JB)
Schecter C-1 BlackJack
Yamaha Acoustic

Marshall MG30DFX(I know I need something with tubes)
Boss BF-2 Flanger
SRV all the way. The solos might be more than you can handle, but it'll give you an idea of how to use the structure and phrasing to compensate for the loss of the rhythm guitar. Keep in mind to that you could work with you bassist, keyboardist or what have you. The way we do it in my band is he'll (the bassist) will change octaves, or he'll harmonize the previous chords he was playing to thicken it up or he'll just add a lil fuzz or distortion to thicken it up.

Also, Hendrix, Frusciante, Van Halen and Beck (Jeff that is) used minimal overdubbed rhythm guitars. Live stuff is always a good way to go, assuming the bands your checking out are good live bands, lol.

Another tip I'd offer would to record chord progressions and then solo over them so you can get the fill, if you can record that is or there's no bassist present. Phrasing is very important to remember, it can fill the room or suck it dry. Just be patient and allow for the notes to come out.

Also, find more reliable musicians to be in a band with.

Good Luck.
Enter something refreshingly witty here:
Listen to a lot of live albums.

Ozzy, Zeppelin, etc... all use one guitar live. "Crazy Train," por ejemplo, sounds fine. Any other live recording by a band with one guitarist should be similar.
How could I forget Randy Rhoads?
Jackson DXMG (w/ Seymour Duncans- Jazz/JB)
Schecter C-1 BlackJack
Yamaha Acoustic

Marshall MG30DFX(I know I need something with tubes)
Boss BF-2 Flanger
Black Sabbath? Just steer clear of the one's where Iommi overdubbed himself playing two solos that go in and out of sync.
Pantera
Guitarsenal:
Genz Benz El Diablo 60
Avatar cab with Man O War, Black Powder speakers
Schecter 20th Aniv. Stealth #07 out of 100
Symphony X
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Flying Couch

Ozzy's finest vocals.

I can give you a few people/bands to look into: Symphony X, Dream Theater, Pantera, SRV, Hendrix, or anything by Ozzy or Santana.

To take a look at an amazing performance with one guitar, check out anything by Andy Timmons, especially this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaVVZYOvMFY
Quote by Flying Couch

Ha. Amazing "you gotta listen to the wohooOo" Ozzy turns away thinking *ah F*CK this!"
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
Rusty Cooley ? Pink Floyd ? (not sure thought)
Quote by Spellcaster
Yes I have sigged myself.
Quote by Dr.Loomis
Certain Pantera songs don't have a backing guitar on the solos. Same thing with Black Sabbath.

Was gonna say that...
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Anything by Rush. THE best 3 man band ever formed. Geddy the bass god, Lifeson gettin' it done on guitar, and the immortal Neil Peart on drums.
bands with only one guitar player
van halen
ozzy
black sabbath
pantera
led zepplin
santana
hendrix
zz top
vai
satch
malmsteen
srv
clapton
rush
iron maiden
just kidding about that last one
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Quote by bi-ah!
bands with only one guitar player
santana
clapton
No, actually. Clapton always has other guitarists in his band - Derek Trucks, for example. Same with Santana - Neal Schon of Journey was actually asked to pick between joining Santana's or Clapton's bands when he was sixteen, an joined Santana's.

/history lesson
Audioslave and Rage Against The Machine... well Tom Morello to be more specific if you don't have a killswitch and/or any pedals then Audioslave is the least effects ridden of his work (well mildly least)
Eric Johnsons Cliffs of Dover.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
I would suggest having the bassist keep the rhythm, but your bassist isn't showing up. I think some Pantera songs are like that.
Listen to eric johnson. One of the best at doing rhythmical stuff with lead. He can fill up the room with sound. Me what i would do is tap a power chord with one hand and solo with the other one. Nino miguel is a flamenco guy, he does crazy stuff alone (it may be too technical for anyone though).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xkh9J2hnbtk&feature=related
This may help. He does rhythm in his leads.
Iron maiden has 2 guitarists.

The Who only have one guitarist, they might have used backing tracks and such in the studio, but when they played live it was always vocals,drums,bass,and guitar.