I recently bought a Shure SM57 mic, an ART Tube Mp USB mic pre, and Cakewalk guitar tracks pro to record my JCM600 combo. I have been playing around with this setup, but the sounds I am getting are only a bit better than recordings from my line 6 pocket pod. It sounds cheap, and somewhat lifeless- I am sure Its not the amp, because it sounds awesome (especially with an SD-1 in front of it). I have tried EQ'ing, compression, etc- but nothing can really fix that cheap 'canned' sound. Are there any things that I could do to try and 'liven' the tone a bit? Here is a link to a track I did using it- http://netmusicians.org/?section=amp&value=Marshall%20JCM600 Please critique it.

thanks ,
Luke
Haha hey I'm a Luke as well lol. Sorry I can't help ya I just had to say that. But ya I'm gonna be recording soon so this thread might actually help me
Quote by Cofflecakes
Quote by laurens666
Use the search button.
Thats the worst metal amp I've ever used...

lol
It's probably mic positioning like the.spine.surfs said. I was having that problem today, couldn't get anything to sound good cause my mic wasn't in the right position and it was pissing me off.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
The mic is about 75% away from the center of the speaker, with the mic pointed at the speaker wall- what seems to be the best position for recording a nice chunky rythym tone?
Try facing the mic directly at the center of the speaker cone (not the dust cap). You might have to turn up the bass a bit more, back off the treble, and do a little post EQ work after recording. It's all about mic placement. Bad mic placement can make the 'best' amps sound like crap.
if you cant find a good sound by putting the mic close to the amp, try moving it further away. i usually adjust my mic between 2" and 6" from the grill depending on what it sounds like that day. if its muffled, try moving it to like a foot away to get some breathing room for the speaker. or try finding a room that has a nice acoustic environment (bathrooms can work) and sticking the mic across the room from the amp. this usually works better for acoustic instruments or condensor mics, but it is worth a try.

also, moved to riffs and recordings