I'm left handed and playing with a right-handed guitar. I haven't had any issues yet and I love having the "feeling" at the fretboard (where I don't even have to look at it most of the time). But something I vitally need to learn is tremolo picking. But I don't know where to start. Do I use my wrist? Do I use my arm? How do I hold the pick? Do I angle the pick? Does the type of pick matter? Sometimes I can do spurts of tremolo picking but I have my arm and wrist really tense but I heard that's bad for you. What's the best way of doing this?
Use your wrist, and find a comfortable pick. I'd say hold it so just a little (~.5cm maybe) of it is showing. Well, that works for me.
Creator of the Llamastack

yes, yes you are... no it takes a while, i'm still not THAT fast at it, but i don't need tremolo picking for that much. Start with Dunlop Jazz II picks, they're great for building speed, and i actually use them as my number 1 picks for most songs
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Not really...

1 - Tremolo picking isn't particularly important, it's certainly not "vital"
2 - You need to already have a fair amount of strength accuracy and co-ordination in your piicking before you're going to be able to tremolo pick competently.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Not really...

1 - Tremolo picking isn't particularly important, it's certainly not "vital"
2 - You need to already have a fair amount of strength accuracy and co-ordination in your piicking before you're going to be able to tremolo pick competently.

It's vital if you play black metal - where every riff is tremelo picked. Which is what I play. Is there anything I can do to build my strength up? Am I just alternate picking the fastest I can, or am I supposed to be using a technique?

The issue that I have the most is bringing my pick back up without completely snagging the string.
Tremolo pikcing is all in the wrist, you need to be loose, yet controlled.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I learned tremolo picking with Iced Earth. They're great for learning rhythm guitar!
Once you get the triples down somewhat, it's easy to switch to tremolo picking. Try it!
You don't even need a pick. I don't know if i'm a bit odd here but I play way more comfortably with my hands, I tremolo pick with my nail lol.
Quote by cptcomet
You don't even need a pick. I don't know if i'm a bit odd here but I play way more comfortably with my hands, I tremolo pick with my nail lol.

It really doesn't sound the same with your nail . I doubt you can tremolo pick more than one string, and I bet you can't skip strings while tremolo picking
Quote by Ventor
It really doesn't sound the same with your nail . I doubt you can tremolo pick more than one string, and I bet you can't skip strings while tremolo picking

Unless you know finger picking then it is hard to explain what the pros and cons are. People are often put off trying because it puts them back on the bottom rung of the ladder again, but it gives you far more control of the guitar and unique sounds.
Stop showing off and play the music!
Quote by Peter Hayes
Unless you know finger picking then it is hard to explain what the pros and cons are. People are often put off trying because it puts them back on the bottom rung of the ladder again, but it gives you far more control of the guitar and unique sounds.

Ok, but not for tremolo picking. I like finger picking as much as playing with a pick, but it's not useful for metal.
You can learn tremolo picking just by observing someone, that's what I did.

First get pick in a comfortable spot, loosen your wirst up. Believe it or not, your wrist doesnt really need to move as fast as you think.

Now turn the pick A LITTLE towards the bridge of your guitar. I mean just a little. If turning the pick makes it very easy to do an upstroke you got it just right. If you can barely play fast then you turned it to far, or not enough.

The type of pick doesnt matter, I use a hard pick because they feel better to me.

Start off slow if you need to, like 100bpm...then move it to 250 gradually.
Quote by watchingmefall
You are pathethic only if you give up. Keep trying.

I've been constantly practicing for a week or now and it's rather aggravating because I don't think I'm doing it right so I change ways. Previously I would hold the guitar so the body of the guitar fits under my right arm and my arm would come around near the bridge and I would try to pick quickly with my arm. If I try to hold the guitar by letting my arm come in at the top end of the guitar and let my wrist do the motion, I feel like there's no possible way I can pick faster. Either way, it's a lot of work. I've gotten somewhat close...but not even close to satisfactory.
As with all techniques, learn the form, and do it slowly and build up speed. If you screw up at any speed, stop your exercise, and start again. Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither are your chops.
The problem is I don't know what the form is because it apparently varies from person to person.
Maybe when I said learn the form, I should have said, find your form. Experiment with different pieces of advice you've been given to find the form until you find it. You should be able to tell.

If you have any other friends that play and can do it, get their guidance in person as well. I know that's not always a luxury everyone has, but if you have that at your disposal, use it.
Quote by BaffAttack
Maybe when I said learn the form, I should have said, find your form. Experiment with different pieces of advice you've been given to find the form until you find it. You should be able to tell.

If you have any other friends that play and can do it, get their guidance in person as well. I know that's not always a luxury everyone has, but if you have that at your disposal, use it.

I have a friend who started playing guitar at the same time as me and we're both learning the same songs to help eachother out. The problem is that he could tremolo pick from Week 1, and I'm on Week 6 and I still can't. I haven't seen him play for awhile so I'll observe the next time I go to his place. As for actually learning it, here's where I'm at.

I can either

1) Using the forearm. It's insanely fast but it's somewhat straining and isn't very controllable.

2) Using the wrist. I can barely maintain 120bpm and my upstroke isn't consistent. I've practiced for 2 hours and it's getting really frustrating. I can't see 180bpm+ possible doing this, and if it was, it'd take me years to figure out.

Neither feel natural. I'll keep experimenting though.
Haha, oddly enough I'm left handed as well and I play a right handed guitar... probably the best decision I've ever made. The most convenient one for sure. I wonder how many lefties play a right handed guitar.

As for the tremolo picking, just stick with your metronome and try increasing the speed a little bit each week. You'll get it down eventually if you stick with it. Don't waste too much time on it though, especially when you could be learning to master much more essential techniques.
Last edited by BChill at Apr 1, 2008,
When I tremelo, I turn the pick sideways a little (so that the edge of the pick is hitting the string)...it seems to help with speed cuz you don't get caught on the string as easily.