I love priest and don't like Metallica at all, but i respect their music, and what they've done for metal. But when i was looking at their solo's and looked at priest's solo like Metal Meltdown or All guns blazing, both Tipton, Downing are shredding or sometimes its Tipton all on his own. THen saw a solo like the master of puppets and seemed less technical? I'm not saying you have to be technical to be good but some people say Iron Maiden is more technical then Metallica?
LOL
In my opinion, Metallica has never really been all that technical. At least, not particularly among the other really well-known metal acts.

What they were generally more known for, to me, was their songwriting ability. The notes they chose to play, rather than how technically complicated. Personally, I value that more. To me their songs are much more poignant that way.

Nevertheless, take a look at some different songs, like One.
Quote by Delanoir
In my opinion, Metallica has never really been all that technical. At least, not particularly among the other really well-known metal acts.

What they were generally more known for, to me, was their songwriting ability. The notes they chose to play, rather than how technically complicated. Personally, I value that more. To me their songs are much more poignant that way.

Nevertheless, take a look at some different songs, like One.

Yeah with Megadeth and them as the Big 4 of Thrash, Megadeth songs are hard as heck , even though dave mostly shred's his rhythm work is very good.
LOL
i think Priest is deffinately more technical. although technicality is not better than more simple stuff. i prefer priest over metallica. Two great bands though.
Megadeth will own Judas priest in the tech department but Metallica.... just say that...they got kirk.

But yes, JP is more technical than Metallica by far.
Quote by SiKh22
Yeah with Megadeth and them as the Big 4 of Thrash, Megadeth songs are hard as heck , even though dave mostly shred's his rhythm work is very good.

And Marty Friedman is always fun to study. I always look at his solos just because I'm always left thinking "...and where exactly did he come up with that lick?" and it helps my playing. I worked through the Lucretia solo today (his part, at least) and was amazed at what he managed to invent.

As for the original question, I've found Judas Priest's rhythms similar but leads much more technical. I'm basing this mainly off of Glenn Tipton's work, because he strikes me as a more technical player than K.K. Downing. Glenn's solo in "Painkiller" is pretty technical, and Kirk's most technical solo is hard to pinpoint (maybe MoP?) but for me is not as difficult. Songs like Metal Meltdown and K.K.'s solo in Hell Bent For Leather would further convince me that JP is a more technical band when it comes to playing leads.
Meshuggah for the win. They've been around since the days of decent Metallica and fail to make a terrible album to date.
And their rhythm guitarist is a humble bastard, citing Hetsfield as an inspiration. I find that hard to believe, since imo I believe Meshuggah to be the superior band. That sense of noblitity makes me like them more.

As for your query, it really shouldn't matter who is more technical. Complexity is nothing if you don't express it right. Unless your intention is that there is really nothing in your music except virtuoso style of music.
Quote by :-D
And Marty Friedman is always fun to study. I always look at his solos just because I'm always left thinking "...and where exactly did he come up with that lick?" and it helps my playing. I worked through the Lucretia solo today (his part, at least) and was amazed at what he managed to invent.

As for the original question, I've found Judas Priest's rhythms similar but leads much more technical. I'm basing this mainly off of Glenn Tipton's work, because he strikes me as a more technical player than K.K. Downing. Glenn's solo in "Painkiller" is pretty technical, and Kirk's most technical solo is hard to pinpoint (maybe MoP?) but for me is not as difficult. Songs like Metal Meltdown and K.K.'s solo in Hell Bent For Leather would further convince me that JP is a more technical band when it comes to playing leads.

Yeah that song all guns blazing, Glenn just rips the guitar, my expression : 0
LOL
If were are strictly talking about technical prowess (of the most well known and traditional heavy metal/thrash bands),

I agree that Megadeth is probably the most technical of all the ones mentioned, followed by Iron Maiden, followed by either Priest or Metallica.
[quote="'Anno[fzk"]']Meshuggah for the win. They've been around since the days of decent Metallica and fail to make a terrible album to date.
And their rhythm guitarist is a humble bastard, citing Hetsfield as an inspiration. I find that hard to believe, since imo I believe Meshuggah to be the superior band. That sense of noblitity makes me like them more.

As for your query, it really shouldn't matter who is more technical. Complexity is nothing if you don't express it right. Unless your intention is that there is really nothing in your music except virtuoso style of music.

The reason i asked because Megadeth and Mettallica and both thrash, as part of the big 4. Megadeth have some excellent lead work, and then i looked back at Judas Priest, 70's that is way more technical, just found it weird.
LOL
Quote by SiKh22
Yeah that song all guns blazing, Glenn just rips the guitar, my expression : 0

Wow, I had never heard that before. I absolutely have to go learn that solo now. I like his playing because he takes long solos pretty frequently but is never boring as in Painkiller or Beyond the Realms of Death. Glenn cannot play a bad solo.
Quote by Delanoir

+ a kazillion

Songwriting is so overlooked these days, it's like everyone is so obsessed with the details they forget to step back and actually LISTEN to the quality of the whole song/s
^

if youre implying that priest in any way doesnt incorporate originality and quality in their music then you are a moron.

metallica solos are predictable and sometimes quite repetitive... while priest actually keeps you guessing.

megadeth also far surpasses metallica's musical talent, thats for damn sure.
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
i always thought glenn sounded pretty sloppy in painkiller, even in the studio version (which isn't that fast to begin with). hammett may blow chunks, but he's decently clean studio-wise.

as for the 70s, the most technical i can think of was al di meola or uli jon roth. both were pretty clean too.
as for the 70s, the most technical i can think of was al di meola or uli jon roth. both were pretty clean too.

hmm...i may agree with that
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
Quote by rky
i always thought glenn sounded pretty sloppy in painkiller, even in the studio version (which isn't that fast to begin with). hammett may blow chunks, but he's decently clean studio-wise.

Where exactly, if you don't mind? I'll take another listen to it and see if I can pick out the spots.
err... pretty much all the fast parts in the painkiller solo. the opening arpeggios are choppy and there's a lot of delay masking it in the studio version. it's painfully obvious glenn can't really play it live, which is a shame because the solo is one of my favorite priest solos. then there's the intro of metal meltdown. the alternate picking part is passable, but the arps... they're not bad by any means, it's just sloppy.
JP was more technical. But Metallica isn't exactly easy.. try playing Battery while shouting the vocals..
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
As far as lead playing goes id have to hand it to JP. They steadily got better and adopted new techniques and licks ect ect

Where as Hammet... yeah...

For rhythms through Metallica without a doubt
Quote by nvranka
^

if youre implying that priest in any way doesnt incorporate originality and quality in their music then you are a moron.

Ah no, wasn't actually implying that at all, more of a comment on modern artists. But thanks for trying to start an internet fight with me for no reason
Quote by rky
err... pretty much all the fast parts in the painkiller solo. the opening arpeggios are choppy and there's a lot of delay masking it in the studio version. it's painfully obvious glenn can't really play it live, which is a shame because the solo is one of my favorite priest solos. then there's the intro of metal meltdown. the alternate picking part is passable, but the arps... they're not bad by any means, it's just sloppy.

I dunno man i think your nit-picking at it, i think thats the sound he goes for. He's played hellrider live and does the sweeping perfectly along with the Painkiller solo, its just hard to hear him on the Painkiller videos i've seen, but everyone has their own opinion.
LOL
I think Metallica wins in the rythm section, in terms of great riffs, especially their earlier work. JP is pretty cool too. There are still tons of bands out there that are a lot more tehcnical, just less catchy.
Quote by SiKh22
I love priest and don't like Metallica at all, but i respect their music, and what they've done for metal. But when i was looking at their solo's and looked at priest's solo like Metal Meltdown or All guns blazing, both Tipton, Downing are shredding or sometimes its Tipton all on his own. THen saw a solo like the master of puppets and seemed less technical? I'm not saying you have to be technical to be good but some people say Iron Maiden is more technical then Metallica?

They just look harder, I don't know about you but I think the Fade to Black outro solo is harder than Painkiller. Maybe I just suck.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
well, the fade to black solo is only 16th notes at 110 bpm, whereas the painkiller solo is 16th note triplets or faster at about the same tempo. the painkiller solo is, on the whole, considerably faster than the fade to black solo.

i guess the sloppiness of the PK solo is a matter of opinion, but i think that compared to far more accomplished sweepers like cooley or becker (or even malmsteen) it's not so great.