I have an annoying twang on the 1st fret, specifically the highest two strings. The guitar is new. Anything specific I should be looking for or doing? A friend of mine raised the strings a little and it seemed fine. Then, after I got home and started playing, it came back again. Maybe I'm hearing things, but it sure sounds like a twang.

I did some searching and found some stuff. This might go away after a little while? Since I just got it, maybe the strings need some time to stretch.
Last edited by caseyd1012 at Mar 19, 2008,
Any thoughts on this? I'm not going to go messing with the truss rod, but it concerns me that it seemed to be fixed when my friend raised the strings a bit and then started doing it again. Is this normal for a new guitar? I don't want to raise the saddle too much, but it's driving me nuts. Am I just too used to an accoustic? I picked my accoustic back up and it sounds great. The same string and C chord on the electric just sounds bad. Thanks a lot in advance.
Could be the nut height. You may have to place a shim under the nut to eliminate fret buzz on the first fret.

Line 6 Spider Valve 212

Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
the same thing was happening with my crappy starcaster(love it to death) i found just pushing the string all the way to the bottom right in the middle of the string helps so much (except for the fact with fast playing it still does it on my first and second string to)
If you can play on an acoustic, i assume it's not that your not pushing hard enough...

try raising the saddle a little, if it doesn't fix it while keeping the string at a decent height, then find something to fill the nut under that string a little...

I would guess it's just basic fret buzz and a shop could take care of it for you...
Quote by thundrstruk891
do EXACTLY what rock savior said.

EXACTLY.

Quote by SGKIDD
^^ X2,00,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

To me

Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM greendayguitar or blues_rocker to join.
Quote by strat7993
the same thing was happening with my crappy starcaster(love it to death) i found just pushing the string all the way to the bottom right in the middle of the string helps so much (except for the fact with fast playing it still does it on my first and second string to)

Same here, i have a starcaster, it's awesome, but the 3rd fret of the G string does a twanging noise. If i get new strings it'll be gone for about 2 days, but it always comes back...what's up with that.
Have you guys looked down the neck of these guitars to see if they are true? It's a simple test you can do. Just look down the neck of the guitar from each end. My friend has a ESP and had this issues on his first fret. I checked the neck and yea, needs an adjustment. May not be your issue but please look down the neck and see if its straight. If not, there is your answer. Could just be a nut or fret issue otherwise.