Just thought I'd share this little sound clip with you guys. It's called virtual barbershop and it only works if you close your eyes and use a pair of good quality headphones turned up loud. It blew my mind the first time I heard it.

here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUDTlvagjJA

I read up on it a bit, it's recorded using a dummy head that has microphones for ears, a scene is then acted out around it. When you listen to the recording everything that comes in through the left ear goes into your headphones left ear and vice versa. It's pretty simple really and creates an amazing effect. Supposedly the Pink Floyd album The Final Cut is recorded using this technique (called holophonics), I find it to be not as amazing as this clip.

Sorry, I just like that picture.

But yeah, the virtual barbershop thing is crazy.
███
██████████
███████████
██████
████████
Quote by bowdyyz69
been done

oh thanks man, so that means that people who have never heard about it will use the search bar and look for it?
Quote by Zepplinne
oh thanks man, so that means that people who have never heard about it will use the search bar and look for it?

he has a point.
Pearl jam recorded an album using this technique i believe it's called Binaural, as is the technique
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Quote by druz15_UG
he has a point.
Pearl jam recorded an album using this technique i believe it's called Binaural, as is the technique

yeah I heard about that one too. It's a shame that there are so few of these recording around. I've found a few others, but none of them done as well as virtual barbershop.
Quote by Zepplinne
I read up on it a bit, it's recorded using a dummy head that has microphones for ears,

...this technique (called holophonics)
I read about that technique you described being done in the '50s and '60s. It's called binaural recording. I always assumed that's when it was first used. I did some research, and it turns out it was done as early as 1881.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
I read about that technique you described being done in the '50s and '60s. It's called binaural recording. I always assumed that's when it was first used. I did some research, and it turns out it was done as early as 1881.

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

binaural refers to hearing through 2 points,

holophonics are the recordings that simulate this,

so I believe its holophonics

edit: supposedly holophonics, holophonic recording, binaural and binaural recording all mean different things haha. The most relevant 2 are holophonics and binaural recording.
Quote by Zepplinne

what so ur saying i should search through all the old popular threads and re post them so i get the credit for them?
Quote by bowdyyz69
what so ur saying i should search through all the old popular threads and re post them so i get the credit for them?

I'm not telling you to do anything
Quote by Zepplinne

Well instead of making another thread about it how about you search for the old one and add whatever comment you want to it thus bumping the thread so others can see it...brilliant idea if I do say so myself.
Quote by Doobergn
Well instead of making another thread about it how about you search for the old one and add whatever comment you want to it thus bumping the thread so others can see it...brilliant idea if I do say so myself.

stfu
A practically **** my pants at the end. That is one of the coolest things on the internet.
^ is started freakin when the plastic bag happnd
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Quote by fretsonfire74
thats so awesome. The plastic bag was the best.

that piece is sweet, but when he whispers in your ear at the end, you can actually feel him beside you. It's so sweet
Quote by Doobergn
I kind of want to listen to it while on some LSD or mushrooms

that would be rediculous