So i'm looking for a new practice amp since Line 6 sucks more ass than Meet The Spartans.

I'll hopefully have a new guitar in my possession if avianoguitarist goes through on his end that has an EMG 81/85 set in it, so what will be a good amp that'll drive these pups to crank out a good distortion WITHOUT pedals?

The best thing I tried was my friend's Fender Frontman 15w which wasn't that bad for a cheap Sunrise chinese guitar played through it.

Any suggestions?

THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UG

-Live Long, Party Hard
0??? lolz

Seriously speaking, you should post this in the Guitar Gear and Accessories Forum...
I have a sig!

Quote by caskettheclown
... ive seen a dog do that once, he was trying to lick his nuts and farted real loud on his face....it sounded like a human fart. now he looks like he has down syndrome for some reason.

VOX DA5 or MicroCube.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I used to have a VOX AD30VT that I bought used. Then I switched to my friends used Marshall mG15cdr because I liked it more, which by the way has a great clean tone. The distortion is not the greatest to be honest, but throw a BOSS DS-1 distortion pedal in front of it and no problemo, good distortion.

I'm buying his amp for $80, and I paid $40 for the distortion with the cord for a grand total of $120. I recommend a setup like this if you are looking to save money. Try and buy used if possible. I like the setup more than my $200+ Vox amp and footswitch because the Marshall sounds better.

EDIT: If you are using active pickups I assume you are playing metal, so you could substitute the DS-1 for a Boss Metalzone or a pedal better suited for whatever you are playing. Still pretty cheap if you buy used.
I have a Fender 15g (came with the starter pack that everyone has), for the price you what you get.
Best little practice amp imo is the Roland Microcube. Good range of amp models and effects plus the added benefit of battery powered mobility. It's also one of the better sounding amps, again imo.

Not sure it will take full advantage of the EMG pickups as SS amps don't seem to handle them all that well, at least in my experience and comparison with tube amps.

For an inexpensive tube amp, you might want to look towards an Peavey Royal 8, Epi Valve Jr., or Blackheart. You might not get the distortion you want out of those without a pedal though. The Peavey Royal 8 may be your best bet out of those three.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by craigcochrane
I used to have a VOX AD30VT that I bought used. Then I switched to my friends used Marshall mG15cdr because I liked it more, which by the way has a great clean tone. The distortion is not the greatest to be honest, but throw a BOSS DS-1 distortion pedal in front of it and no problemo, good distortion.

I'm buying his amp for $80, and I paid $40 for the distortion with the cord for a grand total of $120. I recommend a setup like this if you are looking to save money. Try and buy used if possible. I like the setup more than my $200+ Vox amp and footswitch because the Marshall sounds better.

EDIT: If you are using active pickups I assume you are playing metal, so you could substitute the DS-1 for a Boss Metalzone or a pedal better suited for whatever you are playing. Still pretty cheap if you buy used.

Absolute Fail

To the people that suggested the microcube or vox, they won't be good with active pups. He needs tube.
Unfortunatly there is very little tube amps for that cheap. The peavy, VJ and blackheart would be good but the only one with a gain knob is the Peavy. You might be able to find a Palomino V16 used for 200. They sell for around 300 new. That or the Peavy would probably get the most gain.
With the obvious fact that he isn't going to get tube with distortion new for $200 or less, my solid state recommendation would be the Roland Cube 30x, which is $229.00, so close enough. If it has to be under $200, I don't recommend anything other than the Vox DA5, the Roland Microcube, or the Vox AD15VT.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

For $200? Well my Champion 600 was $200, its tube and sounds awesome. Not sure if it'll handle the style you'll be playing though but its a very toneful amp.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
actives sound like ass through small speakers, even through a tube amp
It's all about feel
Quote by fergus74
Double fail .......cos he thinks the MG sounds better than the VOX!

Key word in the sentence is "HE"!! He did say "Hey fergus74, do you like the Marshall MG series?" No. Its his opionion. Maybe to him the MG does sound better than a Vox. Apparently he prefers a different tone than you. Its his opinion, its he what he wants to play through, leave him alone.

To TS - go with a Peavey, you can't fail with a Peavey even if it is a SS. Peavey makes excellent SS as well as tubes.