Does this bridge setup look okay to you?

I'm asking that because:

- i'm getting a "buzz" from the strings (not the amp) near my fretting hand every time i fret chords (the "buzz" does not appear when i play single notes). It sounds from the frets next to those i'm fretting.

- around November/December 2007 i changed my strings, because the B string broke. But it broke precisely on the bridge, where it bends. Also, did not broke completely, it just broke the inside of the string (the "spiraling" thing held the two parts of the string together).
Yesterday, it happened the exact same thing with the G string (no second thoughts intended ).

Is my bridge so messed up that it's breaking my strings?
Or is that normal?

Thank you for your help.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Aren't the saddles supposed to be straight in a line on not all over the place? (ie E, A and D strings)
Gear
------
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Behringer Ultra METAL UM300 Distortion Pedal
Livingstone 50W amp
Native Instruments Guitar Rig 3
Quote by WafflerVCK
Aren't the saddles supposed to be straight in a line on not all over the place? (ie E, A and D strings)

That's why i'm asking if it looks fine or not... I don't know much about bridge setups...
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
That's why i'm asking if it looks fine or not... I don't know much about bridge setups...

I think that is what is causing the buzz
Gear
------
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Livingstone 50W amp
The saddles should be lined up. What gauges do you use?

Btw nice sig. I love MCS
Quote by WafflerVCK
I think that is what is causing the buzz

And what about the broken strings? Is that normal or is the bad bridge setup causing it?

Quote by imgooley
The saddles should be lined up. What gauges do you use?

Btw nice sig. I love MCS

About the sig: thank you very much! MCS is great indeed.
About the gauges: .009 - .011 - .016 - .024 - .032 - .042
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
And what about the broken strings? Is that normal or is the bad bridge setup causing it?

Breaking strings is normal. The fret buzz could be cause by either the bridge or neck bow, which would mean that you would have to adjust you truss rod.
Quote by Linkerman

You might want to look into heavier strings like a 10-13-17-26-36-46. I find higher gauges break less. Also do you use different tunings often? Most of my broken strings happen when i am tuning
Quote by Linkerman

I wouldn't know about the strings being broken, I don't have a guitar with a Floyd rose type bridge.
Gear
------
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Livingstone 50W amp
Quote by WafflerVCK
I wouldn't know about the strings being broken, I don't have a guitar with a Floyd rose type bridge.

That looks like an american standard bridge, not a FR. Different animal altogether
Quote by imgooley
You might want to look into heavier strings like a 10-13-17-26-36-46. I find higher gauges break less. Also do you use different tunings often? Most of my broken strings happen when i am tuning

No, i just change from standard tuning to drop-D (DBGDAe), so i only tune/detune the E string.

I'll change to heavier strings as soon as i get the money to pay for a setup... That way the techs at Music Shop can set up my bridge accordingly to the new gauges.

Thank you for your help, imgooley, you are being extremely helpful!

Quote by imgooley
That looks like an american standard bridge, not a FR. Different animal altogether

My bridge is not FR. It's a standard Fender tremolo bridge.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by imgooley

Sorry, I don't know much about Strat Bridges and Floyd Rose Bridges :P
Gear
------
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Livingstone 50W amp
Quote by Linkerman
No, i just change from standard tuning to drop-D (DBGDAe), so i only tune/detune the E string.

I'll change to heavier strings as soon as i get the money to pay for a setup... That way the techs at Music Shop can set up my bridge accordingly to the new gauges.

Thank you for your help, imgooley, you are being extremely helpful!

My bridge is not FR. It's a standard Fender tremolo bridge.

Your welcome. After you get it set up, learn how to do the set up yourself. It's really easy and you can fine tune your guitar to exactly how you want it to sound. Good luck
Quote by imgooley
Your welcome. After you get it set up, learn how to do the set up yourself. It's really easy and you can fine tune your guitar to exactly how you want it to sound. Good luck

How can i learn how to set up the bridge myself? Because it's a little expensive (around 50€ here in Portugal) to have the techs doing that...
My friend still has a messed up guitar neck (which affects his playing skills a little), with strings "far away" from the fretboard because he can't afford the setup in an instrument shop!

If i could do it myself, it'd be AWESOME!!!
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
How can i learn how to set up the bridge myself? Because it's a little expensive (around 50€ here in Portugal) to have the techs doing that...
My friend still has a messed up guitar neck (which affects his playing skills a little), with strings "far away" from the fretboard because he can't afford the setup in an instrument shop!

If the strings are far from the fretboard, lower them. You can do it yourself for free. But you need to ask someone who has that type bridge, since it is different to lowering them on a Tune-O-Matic
Gear
------
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Livingstone 50W amp
In the picture you can see two small screws in each saddle that you use to adjust the string height, adjust these so the saddles are in a straight line.

Take the low E, the saddle is leaning towards the left of the image because the left screw hasn't been 'screwed' enough, you can adjust each screw to bring the saddle level. You should have got an allen key with your guitar to do this.

Badly explained but a piece of piss to do
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
Quote by WafflerVCK
If the strings are far from the fretboard, lower them. You can do it yourself for free. But you need to ask someone who has that type bridge, since it is different to lowering them on a Tune-O-Matic

No, my friend's problem is that he needs to get his neck rod adjusted.

My problem is on the bridge, but the string height is perfectly fine. The strings have a perfect distance to the fretboard, it feels like a hot knife through butter when playing.
The only problem is the annoying buzz when i'm playing with the amp turned off (when the amp is on, i can't hear the buzz... It's just too loud... ).
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Bendybaws
In the picture you can see two small screws in each saddle that you use to adjust the string height, adjust these so the saddles are in a straight line.

Take the low E, the saddle is leaning towards the left of the image because the left screw hasn't been 'screwed' enough, you can adjust each screw to bring the saddle level. You should have got an allen key with your guitar to do this.

I understood. So, looking from the same perspective as the picture, the height of the bridge pieces should be the same? I thought it had to do like an inverted "u", like the pickup poles.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman

The distance between the strings and the fretboard is called the action. High action means that the strings are far away from the fret board, low action means that the strings are closer to the board. If his neck is bowed ie bent, he needs to adjust his truss rod. To do this you need an allen wrench. If it is a strat, the truss rod nut(or bolt, i'm not sure which term is correct) is either near the headstock or where the neck meets the body. On a gibson style neck, the nut is near the headstock, underneath the cover.

as far as the bridge, you need a really small allen wrench. That is the easiest way to adjust action.

The other thing to set up is the intonation. On the bridge of your strat, the saddles are connected with screws that have springs around them. If your neck is straight and your saddles are set right, the harmonic at the 12th fret should be the same not as the note at the 12th fret. If it is not, either your neck is bowed, or the saddles are not set right. If your neck is straight, adjust the saddles using the the screws at the back of the bridge that holds them to the bridge.

Also, If you use higher gauge strings, your tremolo might lift a little. If that happens, which shouldn't since you use lighter strings, get another spring.
Quote by Linkerman
I understood. So, looking from the same perspective as the picture, the height of the bridge pieces should be the same? I thought it had to do like an inverted "u", like the pickup poles.

Sort of, both screws in each bridge piece should be the same length. You can see the G string saddle is set up correctly, both screws coming out of the top of the saddle are about the same length so the it sits flush with the bridge.

Save you 50 euros and buy an allen key
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
Like this
Thank you! Thank you very much!

I already have an allen key, that came with my Strat! The neck is perfectly fine... Straight, smooth... Soon i'll change the strings (my brother just went to the store to get his new p-bass and i asked him to bring me .009-.042 Nickel Wound Ernie Balls), and when i do that, i'll adjust the bridge.
Because i should adjust the bridge with the strings removed, right?
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
Thank you! Thank you very much!

I already have an allen key, that came with my Strat! The neck is perfectly fine... Straight, smooth... Soon i'll change the strings (my brother just went to the store to get his new p-bass and i asked him to bring me .009-.042 Nickel Wound Ernie Balls), and when i do that, i'll adjust the bridge.
Because i should adjust the bridge with the strings removed, right?

I have done it both ways. I think that it's easier to do it with strings on on a strat, because the saddles stay in place better
Quote by imgooley
I have done it both ways. I think that it's easier to do it with strings on on a strat, because the saddles stay in place better

Now that you mention it...

I think i'll just detune the guitar a bit (to avoid forcing the strings with too much pressure) and try that. I'll do it around monday next week, and then i'll tell you how it went and if i need further help.

Thank you very much, everyone!
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Mar 19, 2008,
Quote by Bendybaws

yep. get an allen key (hex wrench) and screw the approiate bolts on the saddles especially your E to level the saddles. the strings are trying to climb up and down the crooked saddles when they viberate. the saddles themselves could be shaking too because they're so unballenced.
Quote by Linkerman
Is this information correct?

http://projectguitar.com/tut/action.htm

Should i use this info?

yup
Quote by imgooley
yup

Thank you once again, imgooley!
You're the best! Sorry for bothering you...
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
'sall good. anymore questions, just ask